• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It only boils at those low temperatures because the pressure in the tube has been reduced. Once you open the tube, it should all condense. I suppose it's possible that they used propane or some other refrigerant that's a gas at one atmosphere, but there probably just wasn't much liquid in there to begin with. Ever hear the liquid sloshing around inside a heat pipe when you move it? Me neither.

Despite the "sophisticated" lower boiling point liquids, pipes with lower internal pressure, and super fine wicks. These heat pipes are still inadequate at cooling a hot NB.

And to add to the frustration, every 680i MB has used heat pipes, and every time a review has been done while OCing the 680i, additional fans were used to cool the NB and or moffsets.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they (not accidently mind you) mistook the term heatpipes to mean pipes that attached to a darned hot block instead of it's true intention of being a heat exchanger that uses pressure modified boiling points.
It also wouldn't surprise me if they got taken by an unscrupulous supplier, that left out that whole cumbersome fluid/vacuuming process.

Marketing says "heck, they look cool anyway"....wink wink nudge nudge...

Diggrr said:
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they (not accidently mind you) mistook the term heatpipes to mean pipes that attached to a darned hot block instead of it's true intention of being a heat exchanger that uses pressure modified boiling points.
It also wouldn't surprise me if they got taken by an unscrupulous supplier, that left out that whole cumbersome fluid/vacuuming process.

Marketing says "heck, they look cool anyway"....wink wink nudge nudge...

I can see a few companies doing this...

Back