• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a fan controller. What's good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can still control two fans with a splitter but not individually.
Yeah thats my issue.. Plus with a controller, i can add more fans later or upgrade them to more powerful ones without the risk of killing the mobo
Here you go: http://www.performance-pcs.com/sunb...hannel-30-watt-fan-controller-5-25-black.html

You can't beat that price. I paid about $25 for mine.
PPCS was the first place I looked, but the shipping to Canada was ~$30.... So i agree the price is good but shipping is another story. :(

No, you misunderstand. You can use a splitter with a controller. Works fine if the fans are the same make and model as they will respond he same to the same reduction in voltage. The controller has pins just like the motherboard headers. Works the same. Each channel on the controller has its own pin out. If the controller has 5 channels it will have five places to connect fans or splitters in the back. If you want to connect two fans to one channel you just put a splitter in between the fans and the channel header. If you want to put three fans on one channel use two splitters between the channel's pin out and the fans. You can daisy chain the splitters. You can add as many fans as you want to a channel that way as long as the total power draw doesn't exceed the channel wattage rating. Each channel has a separate speed control.

No, you misunderstand. You can use a splitter with a controller. Works fine if the fans are the same make and model as they will respond he same to the same reduction in voltage. The controller has pins just like the motherboard headers. Works the same. Each channel on the controller has its own pin out. If the controller has 5 channels it will have five places to connect fans or splitters in the back. If you want to connect two fans to one channel you just put a splitter in between the fans and the channel header. If you want to put three fans on one channel use two splitters between the channel's pin out and the fans. You can daisy chain the splitters. You can add as many fans as you want to a channel that way as long as the total power draw doesn't exceed the channel wattage rating. Each channel has a separate speed control.

Of course :) I think I'll be grabbing some splitters to do as you just said. Make sense to have the same fans at the same speeds.

Just need a controller at this point. Case isn't finished yet so i still have plenty of time to get one

So what is your budget for the fan speed controller? The cost of the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme even with $30 shipping to Canada would be <$38 US. The other controllers I linked were like 30-40W total instead of per channel. Which would probably be good enough for average fans. I'm getting prepared to reconfigure my water loop and will be using 4k rpm 3x120x38mm 19 watts each fans so I need a really stout controller. My rad has 30 fins per inch so it should benefit from those fans.

Last edited:
Yeah thats my issue.. Plus with a controller, i can add more fans later or upgrade them to more powerful ones without the risk of killing the mobo

PPCS was the first place I looked, but the shipping to Canada was ~$30.... So i agree the price is good but shipping is another story. :(

USPS First class international was only $17.50, at least to the town I live in.. And USPS is best for shipping to canada from the us anyways

So what is your budget for the fan speed controller? The cost of the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme even with $30 shipping to Canada would be <$38 US. The other controllers I linked were like 30-40W total instead of per channel. Which would probably be good enough for average fans. I'm getting prepared to reconfigure my water loop and will be using 4k rpm 3x120x38mm 19 watts each fans so I need a really stout controller. My rad has 30 fins per inch so it should benefit from those fans.
I can't really justify more than $30 for a controller. (CAD$)
Cheap? Well when you think about it, it's just rheostats on a pcb with a molex for power... I'm really noticing the price mark ups for computer parts.
USPS First class international was only $17.50, at least to the town I live in.. And USPS is best for shipping to canada from the us anyways

Hmmm maybe the rates have changed... Either way, our Canadian Dollar sucks large so anything from the states is expensive right now.

Just bought the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme from PPCS. The shipping price dropped to $17.50 and the controller itself was on sale for just $7.95 USD. Came out to $33 CAD shipped.

Not bad at all. $3 over my "max" budget.

You'll like it!
I'm holding you to that!! :rofl:
Kidding!

Excited to finish this case. That Rheobus Extreme is nearly 6" wide (or 6" tall in my case) so I will have to shrink it down by modding it or might have to mount it in the rear somewhere... I'll figure it out.

Only thing I didn't care for if I was nit picking is the Led's (Control Knobs) were really bright at night when the fans were turned all the way up. My son is using it now and he likes it that way.

Only thing I didn't care for if I was nit picking is the Led's (Control Knobs) were really bright at night when the fans were turned all the way up. My son is using it now and he likes it that way.

Hmmm... Hopefully its not too bright. Worst comes to worst i van just remove 'em i guess. Thanks for the heads up manny!!

You can also just wrap electrical tape around the knobs. That's what I did for my daughter's computer with that controller since it is in her bedroom and the lights disturbed her sleeping.

By the way, the brightness of the LEDs increases with the amount you turn up the fan.

You can also just wrap electrical tape around the knobs. That's what I did for my daughter's computer with that controller since it is in her bedroom and the lights disturbed her sleeping.

By the way, the brightness of the LEDs increases with the amount you turn up the fan.
With speed increase? I should be good then. Might run the fans at 75% max anyways..

Back