• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice for new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For most of the things you listed you wanted your pc the I5 route is better and saves power too.
Also the only quad-channel capable boards/cpu's are the SB-E lga2011 ones.
Only benchmark an fx8120/50 wins over Intel is the Winrar one too.
Don't wanna start a flame war, but I think atm that's the best choice.

Just look for the desired features in the mobo you buy if you're not ocing, get cheap Samsung 30nm ram kits or whatever good brands you find and you're good to go. H61/H67, perhaps z68 (thinking ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3).

Also the Intel ssd or a Crucial m4 are the best choices.

Good luck with your build!

+1

I like amd. I do. I still run 2 AMD computers. Ones a 5000+; ones a Phenom II 720. But fact is right now Intel is king. Even in the low end. Just because of the efficiency and power draw.. Clock for clock Intel kicks bulldozers butt Lol.

+∞

I like AMD too...I'm liking them even over Nvidia -still got some of my 3dfx fanboyism intact :p and having bought them stings still-
Also, I give them the mobile segment for low power solutions with decent integrated graphics. In that department they win hands down with their APUs.
But unfortunately, we don't know how well PD will perform, so I cannot reccomend the am3+ platform so whole-heartidly as I can with 1155 atm.

With the Ivy bridge being released soon I'm going to be buying the parts. I've bought the case and Radeon 6850 so far. I'm looking at power supply and ram at the moment, which I know hardly anything about. Looking for best bang for buck power supply 450w (minimum) under $70 and 8GB 1600 ram under $70 from the parts list below, which one do you guys recommend?

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Some people seem to recommend SilverStone PSU's, I've seen a Silversone ST50F-ES 500W PSU 80+ for $65 at another store, so could get that one if it is better.

Corsair cx series are good and cheap psu's...That silverstone sounds nice too. You won't need more than 450w really, but 500w is a good compromise.
Ram, try to get the cheapest from any of these brands: gskill, patriot, corsair, kingston, ocz.

Okay, what about the motherboard? I just noticed there's newer models out, damn. Am I better off paying $30 more an getting the Asrock Extreme 4 z77 instead of the z68 gen3? Any major differences with the newer models?

Last edited:
I'd go with an Intel build. Silverstone power supplies are all nice safe choices and their prices are right too. The thing I like about them most though is how quiet their power supplies are. Looks to be a good build thus far.

z68 should be fine, and normally have beefier VRM's for oc'ing.
z77 offers less power phases -8+4 for asrock boards- but some other new features...Depends on price and preference, cause right now there's no use for pci-e 3.0, and we don't know how good Lucid MVP is.

Virtu MVP sounds interesting.... What will be even more interesting is whether it actually works. Lucid Hydra was a steaming pile of you know what....

The case I bought is full sized, so there probably wouldn't be any benefit in taking a smaller motherboard?

Nope not really then. ha. I swapped into a m-atx case. Love it ^^. But if you've already got a full case; and have the room for it; grab the bigger board for sure.

I've encountered my first issue while trying to put in all the cables. The front USB panel on the case only has a pin connector for USB 2 and I'd prefer to plug it into USB 3.0 on the motherboard. Is it possible to get some kind of pin convertor or do I have to use USB 2 for the front two ports?

If the case only supports USB 2.0. Plugging it into USB 3.0 won't help at all. It'll be the same speed. Just use the USB 2 option. What case did you buy?

Back