• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need cooling advice i7 2600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tamorgen

First post here, so be gentle.

I've had a new rig for about a month and a half now. It consists of a GA-Z68XP-UD3 Mobo, i7 2600k CPU, 16 GB G.Skill RipjawsX, and a EVGA OC GTX 570 HD 1.2GB graphics card, all in an Antec 900 v1 case. The stock Antec fans have been replaced with two Noctua NF-P12 PWM for the front intake and 1 Noctua NF-S12B FLX fan in the back. Unfortunately I know of no way to replace the massive 200mm Antec fan on top with something quieter.

Currently, it's running at stock speeds. I've tried using Gigabyte's OC utility, and even setting it on Safe will usually crash the BIOS upon boot. I know from past experience these utilities usually suck, and I need to go in and manually edit the BIOS. I just need to find a good guide to do so...

In any case, before I do that, I need to upgrade the stock CPU fan. On my last Q6600 rig, I had a Thermalright Ultra 90 cooler. While the cooler may still work, I would need to find a a different mounting kit, and Thermalright doesn't seem to distribute one.

I'm considering two other routes... 1) One of the closed loop water cooling kits or 2) the massive Noctua NH-D14 air cooler. Yes, I'm a big fan of Noctua if you couldn't tell.

I'm looking at getting my OC up to 4.5~4.6 range. I know both options will work, but I wanted to get some feedback. I'm trying to keep my system quiet but cool at the same time. Am I best off sticking with air cooled, or are the water loops an OK option? I'm just afraid of one of those water unit's springing a leak. I know it's fairly rare, but you do see those happening in the reviews online.

For the water cooling kits, is the Antec or Corsair kit better? Which is quieter? More reliable?

One note... I know certain versions of those water kits come with software. I'm looking to avoid using that software, as I run this machine as a dual boot system (Windows 7 x64 and OSX). While the software would be fine for Windows, I spend a lot of time on the Mac side.

Thanks!

Hey Tarmorgen,

Well look, im using a ASUS Mobo so on the OC utility i cant be much of a help. BUT, i am using a Corsair Hydro H100 and its working WONDERS:D ! I cant help but suggest this cooling system, very quiet very efficient and is easy to install :) ( its a sealed water coolant BTW ).

H80 performs similarly good (proportionally speaking), if you can get a good P/P setup. All this depends on the budget you are willing to to invest for a coolant, and as you may know, this is something you don't want to go cheap on.:thup:

:welcome: to Overclockers.com!

The 2600K at 4.5-4.6ghz will not be produce enormous amounts of heat, but will require a nice HSF to keep your temperatures in check. Any of the top air coolers or the larger LCLC systems (H80, H100, etc...) will get the job done nicely. Avoid the 92mm tower coolers, and the single fan LCLC systems (H50, etc...) and you will easily reach your goals.

There are many places you can go to get 200mm fans, you just need to know where to look :)
Frozencpu.com
Performance PC's
Sidewinders for high performance

If you want high performance cooling at a much lower price than the NH-D14, you might want to go with the Thermalright True Spirit 140 instead. I haven't finished the review of it yet, but I can tell you that it will cool your 2600k with no problem and with the stock fan installed (doesn't need a push pull setup for high performance). It's also easier to fit inside your case than the NH-D14 too. Save some bucks for something else and use the TS140.

As for the LCLC systems, I've only messed with the H50, H70 and H80. The H80 will also easily cool that 2600k, but might actually be a bit louder than the TS140.

Back