• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Bad!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnnylongstick

I am working on a computer at school i installed a new HD and every that works fine i loaded win98 that works fine. but the problem is one of the power cords hit a blade on the amd socket a fan and its missing a blade. Will this effecit i that much. also say if i jus shut down properly and stuff i try to turn it on and nothing happens i have to reset the cmos alot !. also when im in the os and doing stuff it just freezes the lights on the cd rom stop and everything just stop. i have to reset the cmod alot. its not 98 it the computer cause we i try to load 2000 it does that freeze thing. please help./

Welcome to the Forums, and welcome to the frustrating world of pc's.

give us a list of hardware, so we can diagnose.

dude i dont know , thats not the point . i need help fixing the freezeing problem and cmos problem. also when one of the fan blades came off , did that effect it ! (sorry im i na hurry)

try checking the cpu temp and fan speed. i'm sure the missing blade will have some effect on cooling, but the only way to know how much effect it has will be to check the monitor. (that is, if one is installed)

and, dude, the hardware is the point. it could be a power supply issue.

er i doubt its teh power supply , im thinking it te gan blade. no the bios doesnt have a hardware moniter. blah blah and there is no driver for there network card. so i cant download mbm5 blah.
You think i should just try to change the HSF . also you think thats teh problem causeing like when i shut down adn ttry to boot up i cant and i have to reset the cmos. everytime. hmm

Yes you should change the fan the blade missing may or may not effect cooling to the point that you are seeing problems, which it seems to be, but it is now out of ballance and could eventually stop working or cause vibrations and shimming. Of course this depends on the fan and break. If the cord that broke the fan has a cut or internal break to the point that your voltages are effected then that could be a problem. The CMOS not holding the settings could be because the battery is going, that is usually indicated by a "checksum" error as well. But, your reboots could be related to a faulty install, a short, like a screw traped someware which would also give both your symptoms or faulty PSU. Also your HD could be jumped wrong, which could cause both your symptoms.

It depends on the brand of drive and the position on the IDE cable and what else is on the cable.

If the drive is by itself on the cable then there would be a setting for that. Some drives require no jumper for this, some require a jumper set. If the drive is with another, say a CDR, then that HD would need to be jumped as master and the other as slave. Also they could be jumped as CS(cable select) and the end drive on the cable would be the boot drive(master) and the middle would be the 2nd drive(slave). You will just have to look at each drive on the cable and check the jumpers and make sure they are set to the brand specs for the way they are set up.

Remember the blue end of the cable goes into the MB socket. Also if you do have two drives your problem could be that the old drive was set to CS and the new drive is set to master, or stand alone. Hope this helps.

johnnylongstick said:
er i doubt its teh power supply , im thinking it te gan blade. no the bios doesnt have a hardware moniter. blah blah and there is no driver for there network card. so i cant download mbm5 blah.
You think i should just try to change the HSF . also you think thats teh problem causeing like when i shut down adn ttry to boot up i cant and i have to reset the cmos. everytime. hmm

:rolleyes: way to treat someone that's trying to help you solve a problem.

Back