• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help buying a good video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

Me

curently i have a voodoo 3 agp 3dfx video card which uses glide. Right now it is overclocked from stock 166 to 194 mhz. My windows is very fast as well as games like Unreal T. I did go to comp USa and purchase the kyro 2 64 meg video card that just came out. I tried it ou and there was a little improvment , but not worth keeping so i returned it. Do you think the GTs leadtek pro with 64 meg DDR will satisfy me more? I am looking to pay 150-200 bucks. Right now i am running
1000mhz slot a
380 megs ram crucial cas 2 pc 133 which only runs at 100mhz bus
voodoo 3 that gets only 3500 marks in 3d 2000

With 1000mhz processor shouldnt i be able to get at least 5000 marks? in 3dmark 2000 if so which card would i need? I know that the geforce 3 can do it but im not ready for that card yet
thanks

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Leadtek makes good cards. I have a GeForce 256 DDR in my second PC from them.

I'll just say what I always say about choosing video cards (this is my opinion)...if you want speed, then GeForce is what to get...if you want the best visuals, then get a Radeon 64MB VIVO (I have one).

Pinky

I've owned two leadtek cards, very dependable and overclocking friendly. The GTS Pro should satisfy your need for speed, I get 100 FPS in UT with my current setup -- just imagine!

[OC]_SR20DE

Me,
Actually that score of 3500 on a Voodoo3 3k with your system is a very good score. Voodoo3s are maxed out at around that level even with a very fast CPU. It's the Voodoo5 that can reach 4500 - 5000 max score with a fast system. GeForce2 GTS with a Ghz system gets about 8000. GeForce2 Pro will get higher score.

OP
M

Me

8000 marks in 3d2000 ,wow thats alot.
Yeah i get about 3550 with the voodoo 3 at 195 mhz from the stock 166mhz. I just added 384 megs of ram of crucial cas 2 pc133 which didnt do crap. I think this ram is only good if you have a board that can run at 133mhz. Mine only goes to 100mhz which sucks. I cant even change the FSB on my 7ix gigabyte oh well ,the board is almost 16months old and its running a overclocked 900 tbird to 1000mhz perfectly stable at low temps. I guess what im trying to say is that to take full advantage of my processor i will need either a gts pro DDR or gts.
I did see one review where a gighertz system with a geforce 2 GTS pro 64 meg ddr was just as fast as the 1.2 or 1.3 gighertz running with a geforce mx

W

William

Radeon LE isn't bad for the price, but it is mainly just the radeon chips that were not good enough for the other radeons. I think at that level, a Geforce2 MX is a much better bet.

Blue Jester_2112

You mentioned the GF3 but said you weren't ready for it. Why not pick up a Hercules 3d Prophit MX w/64 meg of DDR and put the rest away for the GF3 when they come down in price/have games to take advantage of them. I believe the mx goes for about $130 at compusa and the Hercules cards tend to be excellent overclockers. You could save some cash, get a new card, boost your 3d mark scores and keep yourself busy overclocking the card and tweaking it out for weeks to come.

Just my $.02 on the subject =]

David

Forums Super Moderator
I get 4400 with my system with a GeForce 2 MX, but My dads friend only gets 3300 with his system.

My spec His System

Duron650 TBird 700
128MB PC133 RAM 384MB PC133 RAM
GeForce 2 MX 32 Meg ATI Rage Fury Maxx 64MB