• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP! MOBO that kills PSU's??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IR1

Ok last night I am helping my little bro put my Geforce 3 ti500 in his computer.

His computer was fine before. So he was playing bf1942 a while then he said his computer just shutoff. And would not turn back on.

I figured he fried his PS, so I took it out tested it and yes it was fried. So I stuck an extra PS I had in his case. And we fired up the machine to a funky *** noise. Now I know this PS was working, but after puting it in his computer its GONE.

Ok time to try PS #3. Some old 200 watt one. I tested it worked fine outside computer. When I plug it into the mobo I hear a loud high frequency whine. I quickly unpluged it outa the mobo tested it and it was still working.

So I think his motherboard has fried itself. It was my old trusty ECS K7S5A, nothing expensive. His cpu was an Athlon 1.2. I hope thats not fried.

But does anyone know what happened? The computer was awfully hot after the initial breakdown. I dont wanna fry more than 2 psu's in a 2 day period.

I could use some advice. Thanks

Ok whoa wait a minute I just retested the 2nd PSU and now it works? Weird. I am gonna try it again. Maybe it was a short on the case.

but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1st one was 300 watt, 2nd was 300 watt.

But its ok... its fixed now. I booted the computer up with the powersupply outside of the case. It was shorting out, and was just a coincidence and had nothing to do with what happened to the 1st psu.

Guess I just jumped the gun on the fried mobo theory. I should have known it was just a short.

Back