• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

west1

Ok, bought an emachines comp for my daughter to go on playhouse disney with (i know, i know, but it was $50..sooo) anyways, booted up fine, has windows xp, 384 Megs of Ram,DVD/CDRW etc.. so a good deal i guess. Runs a celeron 2.0, now my problem is that this thing is never stable. Random reboots, freezes etc.. I ran WCPUID, it says that the multiplier is set at 20X!! now, in task manager the CPU pretty much constantly stays at 100% use, i know that these boards arent really made to be messed with and such, but how did the guy get the multiplier to 20 times? any ideas on how to change it alot lower, and any tips on what might be a stable multiplier? i know this is kind of dumb, but ive never had a system like this one, and my daughters gonna kill me if i dont figure it out soon, please help :( . Ooooh, also, it fails the very first test on prime95 i really wish i could figure this thing out.

ok cool, that makes me feel a little better, now i just gotta figure out whats goin on with this thing

I would check these things in this order until good to go:

1.) Download AIDA32 and check the SPD on your ram. SPD is the factory settings programmed into the ram. Make sure your set to the recommended settings. Also check the ram voltage setting, I recommend you go 0.1 above recommended, so if 2.5v is the stock go to 2.6v but no higher.

2.) Check to make sure your heatsink is attached correctly and has themal paste on it, I recommend Artic Silver 3 or 5. The reason I say to do this is even Dell (my sisters comp) messes up once in a while, let alone eMachines, and the heatsink might not be installed correctly. The mounting bracket for the heatsink was actually broken on my sisters Dell, I still cant believe the Celeron in hers didnt fry....

3.) The voltage to the CPU needs to be verified, again AIDA32 will give you both the current CPU voltage core setting and tell you the factory recommended setting for your CPU.

4.) Use MBM5 (Motherboard monitor 5) to see what your power supply is putting out for 12+, -12, 5+, -5. What your describing could be caused by a bad power supply too so make sure its putting out the correct voltages.

5.) Check all harddrive cables as good by swapping with known good ones.

6.) Make sure your video card and other device drivers are updated to the latest available from the part makers web site.

7.) Hopefully by now it works fine...if not come back here and we can do some other things.

Good luck.

http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

Back