• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with cpu upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigmick314

i have a dell dimension 8200 p4 2.26 GHz 533 fsb with the 850 chipset. i would like to upgrade my cpu. can anyone give me a guarntee that a 2.8 GHz 533 fsb will function with no problems.
:D thanx:D

I wouldn't upgrade for those 600mhz more. I would get a better motherboard. A better motherboard would help you in upgrading a LOT more, and give you better performance in general.

Whach out for your PSU, most dell PSUs have a missing pin on the 20-pin ATX connector in order to stop people from switching parts. Check that out before you upgrade your mobo.

The motherboard otherwise known as "mainboard" is the key to unlocking performance.

Get a nice 875 chipset board and at least a good set of DDR400 with aggresive timming. Everything else try and salvage unless you want a better processor and run SATA RAID with ICH5R, the dell hard drive you could use for storage.

The 850E at 133 Mhz is still decent. I'd get a 3.06- the max 533Mhz bus chip and it's got HT. Goes relatively cheaply too these days. It will work, but update the BIOS on your board.

Back