• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new motherboard for build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

My motherboard quit recently, so I have been doing research to buy a new micro ATX board (I have an mATX case). Is it just me, or have mATX boards fallen out of favor recently? From what I've seen, I am down to one of three options, the Gigabyte Z390 M, the MSI PRO B360M PRO-VD, or the ASRock Z390M Pro4. First, does anyone have any of these boards? Have you had success with overclocking with these boards? Second, has anyone else noticed that manufacturers are moving to more ATX or mITX and not making as many mATX boards?

Lastly, since I need a new build, I know I could go with either Intel or AMD. I saw a Tech Showdown YouTube video on the i7 8th generation vs Ryzen 7 2700. The Ryzen chip only gets close to the performance of the i7 chip when it is overclocked vs. the stock speeds of the i7, so that's why I was going with an Intel board. I know I should check more than one reviewer, and I was going to wait for the new Ryzen 3000 chips, but my computer died earlier than expected. Any ideas on the three motherboards I mentioned? Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

First question: Do you want a new board for your 6700 or a new motherboard + CPU + memory (your sig doesn't specify DDR3/DDR4 and I don't know off the top of my head), or do you want a new motherboard for your 6700? Of course your listing motherboards that are compatible with newer Intel CPUs, are you planning to use a new motherboard and then upgrade later? Backwards compatibility is not assured, despite a chipset using the same socket, so this would be dubious. If you are looking for a motherboard to place a new Intel CPU into, then you would be better off including your entire build here. You asked about overclocking which makes eliminating one of the boards really easy, since the B360 does not support overclocking.

Do you want someone to tell you if it's time to upgrade? If so the please provide us with some information about your uses for the PC.

In terms of Intel vs AMD, yes, Intel does have better performance, however in real world applications it is not significant. Again it becomes important to define your intended uses, because different processors have different tasks to which they are best suited. Finally, as you mentioned the 3000 series are coming.

Thanks for the response. After watching a Jayztwocents video about AMD vs. Intel from last year and watching videos following AMD’s keynote from Computex, I will wait for Ryzen 3000 to be released. My mobo failed so I need to build a new system and AMD looks pretty strong with the 3000 series. I’m a little disappointed that micro ATX seems to have fallen from favor among manufacturers (ASUS may be releasing some, but what I’ve seen from MSI and Gigabyte at Computex, it seems like they are going with full ATX or ITX and not mATX boards for the X570 chipset. In July we will probably know more though. Maybe some mATX boards will be released. My rig will be used for gaming mostly, along with work applications (some programming).

The reason I didn’t put the speed down for my memory is my computer is dead and I don’t remember what speed I installed (I’ve had my build a few years). I know it is DDR 4, though.

Ok cool. I wasn't sure if you wanted to try your existing older components on a new board or go for a complete rebuild.

I agree that Ryzen 3000 should be worth waiting for. Especially if AMDs benchmarks are to be believed (always some bias there, but hopefully nothing like the Principled Technologies debacle.

I wouldn't get too upset by the lack of uATX boards. Generally it appears to me that uATX are full ATX with minor tweaks while mITX are full board designs. You will probably see them fairly soon. That is entirely a guess though. A greater concern, however, is that uATX boards tend to be more budget oriented while mITX and ATX tend towards performance. The consequence is that finding a good board for overclocking could be more challenging, depending on the number of cores you choose. Likely only the highest end boards will be appropriate for overclocking a 16 core CPU, which is reported to draw nearly 300W. However an 8 core CPU would be more reasonable to overclock on a variety of motherboards.

Back