• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on a build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikenac

Registered
I am wanting to build a small but powerful computer using the Antec ISK110 Case I have. Here are some issues I may run into and would like some opinions from you more experienced individuals.

Will it work without blowing the psu?? I already have the Pico PSU 102W sitting at the house along with the case. I feel that I have far exceeded the limits on that PSU but am wanting someone to confirm/deny my fears. My original build idea was far under these components but now I would actually like to be able to play less demanding games with it.

MSI A88XI AC V2 FM2+ motherboard
AMD A10-7870K Godavari Quad-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws X (2x8 GB)
Noctua NH-L9a 92mm SSO2 CPU Cooler
Kingston SSDNow V300 2.5" 120GB SSD

Thank you all very much!

The TDP of the CPU alone is 95W and you haven't even added any drives yet or fans yet. And this is assuming you are going with the chip's built-in graphics. It's just not going to work. You will need to go with a CPU that doesn't pull that much juice if you insist on using that PSU. And in reality, that means Intel. The AMD Kabini would also work but it would not be "a powerful computer" by any stretch of the imagination.

Any CPU you choose, even intel ones, would not give you any headroom for a discrete graphics card.

Last edited:
I was hoping to make it work somehow. Ive been using the PSU calculator on newegg to estimate the wattage and following some peoples build I don't see how they haven't blown theirs yet. on all the setups ive seen and calculated it says about 270w for all (intel or amd powered) and they are running stock psus for the most part in that case. Ill just redo my plans and try and get a different set up to be safe.

Reread my post. I added some thoughts. That PSU would only power an HTPC type of setup with some Intel processor with built-in graphics or an AMD Kabini.

Do you think on this type of setup I will ever be able to run games like counter-strike? If you have any suggestions as to what I should get im all ears

You know, I'm not a gamer so I'm not the one to answer that question. But there isn't yet a CPU out there with built-in graphics that will do a satisfactory job on demanding games unless maybe the detail level is turned way down.

Back