• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help with DHCP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

ok, its spring break so i decided to bring my box home for a week. i connect to the internet through the lan and ethernet at college, so when i installed linux i told it to automatically configure those settings with DHCP. well, i bring the computer home and plug everything in. on bootup, it hangs at "bringing up interface eth0"...i'm guessing that it is trying to automatically assign me an IP on bootup, and since there is no network connection it won't work. so it just sits there for a few minutes and then shuts off. is there any way around this? i hope there is because i need to work on a couple of programming assignments that are due after break. any help would be MORE than appreciated. thanks!

jeff

Yeah, it should give you an option to boot in "interactive" mode. Enter that, either break out of the Boot sequence or skip eth0 and login as root. Change your network settings from there.

Hard to give specific instruction without knowing which distribution you are running.

wow, straight from the man himself :) (btw, love the new rank). i don't know why, but i hadn't even thought about that interactive startup thing. thanks for the tip. i'm running redhat 7.2 as it says in my siggy :)

jeff

EDIT: darnit! i got into the interactive startup, and while stumbling through the [y][n][c] choices from each thing (i just chose y for everything except eth0), it went to the graphical login screen. well, i forgot to mention that i didn't bring my monitor home (a 17'' kds flatscreen) and am usind one of dad's 15'' POS monitors. well linux didn't like that and decided not to show any picture, so i'm still stuck since my monitor settings are too much for the 15'' to handle. i'm not even going to bother with editing the configuration just for this monitor. well, thanks for the tips anyways. at least i tried!

Last edited:
Spike Spiegel said:
wow, straight from the man himself :) (btw, love the new rank). i don't know why, but i hadn't even thought about that interactive startup thing. thanks for the tip. i'm running redhat 7.2 as it says in my siggy :)

Doh! I should open my eyes....

Should be able to stop it from entering Runlevel 5 Just go to Runlevel 3

If not, hit CTRL-C while the graphical interface is loading.

Hey, I didn't even notice the rank.... Who's messin' around :)

lol maybe it was divine intervention! :p

well i hooked the computer up to my dad's 17'', and i got a picture. it isn't great, but its good enough to program java on. thanks for the help. i just went into the network configuration and told it not to startup eth0 on bootup. i'll just change it back once i get back to school.

next challenge: getting online by dialup in linux. went through all the configuration wizards and whatnot and it tells me there is no modem installed, but i know there is. yes, it is a hardware modem set to irq 11 and com3 which is ttsy3 in linux if i remember correctly. i've used the modem in windows so i know it works. i thought maybe i would have to download drivers but i don't know enough about modems in general to know if that is even necessary with a hardware modem. oh well, i should be happy with what i have! thank again

jeff

make sure you have wv-dial, and pppd installed on your system.
After that you should be able to run the config wizard and setup your connection. If not you can run the wv-dial configurator. I cannot remeber what it is called, but if you type wv and press tab, it will show you a list.

Give that a try.

:)

Back