• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

net send command

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After reading this thread i thought i try this Net Send too. ;) My gf is using my laptop which i have running on a wireless network, but i cant seem to get the message through. If i send it to the pc i am on, it works np. In order for Net Send to work, must all the PCs on the network be connected with cable ??

I have np with sharing files on both my desktop and laptop, so i know the network is working ok.

Would be fun to send the gf a message, and see her reaction... :D *evil laugh*;)

Thx oo_7

I've been able to send it to my laptop, which is also wireless. So no, it does not have to be wired. Did you just send this out net send * hi .
The * tells it to send the message to all the computers in your workgroup. What version of windows is she running?

I am running XP Pro on desktop, and XP home on the laptop. I typed.

net send 10.0.0.6 Boo

(10.0.0.6 is the internal ip on the laptop)

Well you could try the * that will send it to everyone on your workgroup. You could try the computer name, what you see it as under the view workgroup computers, or you could try using the name of your workgroup. I don't know why it won't work with the ip, as I have done it that way many times.

you might check to see if your messenger service is running on both computers Goto Start>run>services.msc and check to see if "messenger service" is running. then try again. also make sure your on the same workgroup. ive had trouble, even though its supposed to be able to jump workgroups t doesnt always work in my experience.

Yeah, make sure the messenger service is running and that the laptop isn't behind some kind of firewall.

JigPu

If the net send bothers you just go into administration tools and disable the messenger service. I always does this at LAN-partys...

But sometimes this service can come in handy. Like when I'm at home wanting to tell my brother something across the house I just send him a message.

well 3 people in my class got suspended for 2 days and werent allowed to use computers for 2 weeks because of it...
I told them dont do net send * "hello"... but they just had to use *.....

idiots... dont do it

its acually quite easy to track netsends if your running static ips, which most big networks are, if your admin has any knowlage of anything he can track you, especially if you are unused computers, and you are using active directory

Xenocide said:
its acually quite easy to track netsends if your running static ips, which most big networks are, if your admin has any knowlage of anything he can track you, especially if you are unused computers, and you are using active directory

most 'big' networks use dhcp to assign ip addresses, as it is too much work to manage static addresses for 'every' pc on the network. Static IP's in a 'big' network are generally reserved/assingned for hosts/servers.

True. No matter how dumb you think your admin is, he/she is probably much smarter than you give him/her credit for. Alot of schools will see this as "hacking". I know at a school district close to mine a friend used this command and they suspended him for 2 weeks under the pretense that he was "hacking" into the school to change grades and found this command by mistake. There was really no argument he could use to get out of it. So be careful. Better yet, don't use it unless your at home.

With all of this said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,can we make this thread DIE, as it has been beat to death with all of the of the 'suggestions' around the 'how to do it', 'better not do it' as it was suggested to 'drop' it numerous posts before..

guide - guide - thread moderater

This is a discussion forum so why not let people discuss as long as the have something to say before you suggest to close this thread down...

...As long as the thread follows the forum guidelines.

When I send a message using the net send command, what format will it be displayed in at the destination computer?

Also, if I send a net send to my own computer it won't go through even though I disable my firewall, so what's the prob?

I go in Start-Run and type: net send 67.xxx.xxx.xxx Hello

and nothing happens.

-YB

Net send is fun to play with, but if your on broadband you prolly should disable the messenger service or your gonna get spammed to death.

Back