• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

Im having issues with a network ive set up between two PC's, the host pc connects to the net Via a USB DSL modem and the client connects via an etherenet cable.

The hosts net connection is shared and the hosts network connections TCP/IP properties are set to the following -

IP address - 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

the DNS's and default gateway is left blank.

the Clients TCP/IP settings are set to the following -

IP address - 192.168.0.2
Default gateway - 192.168.0.1
DNS1 - 192.168.0.1
DNS2 - Blank

I had it successfuly set as the above for weeks and everything was fine, Just today I changed the TCP/IP settings on my client PC so I could FTP to my Xbox, after I changed them back, I was able to connect to the net for a while and then suddenly the net on my client PC stoped working. I tried all sorts from running the network setup wizard again to changing TCP/IP settings.

Currently the only way I can connect to the net is by having the Hosts PC settings as above and having clients TCP/IP settings to automatic, and even then I can connect to the net on the client PC for 5 minutes and then it stops.

Heres a SS of the ipconfig /all of the client PC -

Even though now as I ping the host PC I can connect to the internet the ping fails.

What does the lease obtained/lease expires on the ipconfig mean.

Thanks in advance

RIPSTER

just try hitting 'repair' on the connection- It'll flush stuff you've never dreamed existed.

In the meantime, see if you can track down a website called analogx. They have a little proxy i used to use to share dialup, best windows internet sharing i've ever seen.

ok update on the problem -

The net only disconnects when I open utorrent otherwise it will stay on, it only disconnected every 5 minutes because I opened utorrent. To get reconnected to the net after opening Utorrent I have to go in to TCP/IP settings and change it to either automatic if it was set to manual settings or set it to the following manual settings -

IP address - 192.168.0.2
Default gateway - 192.168.0.1
DNS1 - 192.168.0.1
DNS2 - Blank

As I said, windows and networking aren't the best combination. It's getting overloaded with the amount of connections and shooting itself in the head. Can you even forward the port to the computer with uTorrent?

ICS forwards everything, if that first box is on a live ip (sounds like it is) then /all/ ports should go, but again... its ICS. all ports might just go into the ether...

why was it working before and it isnt working now?

I tried analogX proxy but its a little complicated and I dont see the point, im going to be getting a new router in about 4 days and I need a quick fix untill then?

what do you mean by live ip?

thanks

I just found this settings, there seem to be quite a few utorrent ones, I remember at one time there was only 1, could the rest be caused by utorrent randomizing the port it conects to each time or possibly by me changing the port, could this be causing the disconnection?

SS of settings -

when I deselected all the utorrents apart from 1 and accepted it said that it failed to set the port mappings, but when I opened the settings again despite the failure to change the options they were still set as you see them in the SS.

I deleted all the utorrent ones hoping that that would help, but the same thing happens as soon as I start utorrent it disconnects, could this be caused by the number of downloads I have running?

I cant download them on another pc, can you possibly answer any of the questions I had. Why after all these weeks of downloading torrents perfectly does this happen?

Back