• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD CPUs coming out next month, unlock to a hex-core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badboyeee

http://www.techspot.com/news/39944-fastest-quadcore-new-sixcore-amd-chips-in-september.html

AMD is getting ready to add a new member to its six-core chips family as well as a new flagship quad-core and a couple more budget processors, according to a report on X-bit labs. The Phenom II X6 1075T should bridge the gap between the current 1055T and 1090T six-core parts, with a $230-240 price tag and 3GHz base clock speed. The chip will be able to go as high as 3.5GHz when AMD's Turbo Core technology kicks in, but otherwise specs should look familiar to those of its predecessors, with support for DDR3-1333 memory and a total 9MB of cache.

The forthcoming AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition should become AMD's fastest quad-core offering and will reportedly come in two flavors -- a retail boxed version based on Deneb with four cores in total, and an OEM version based on the Zosma design, which is basically a six-core Thuban chip with two disabled cores. In other words, enthusiasts should be on the lookout for the latter if they want to squeeze some extra performance by unlocking these cores.

The X4 970 will cost around $200, clocked at 3.50GHz with 8MB of cache, dual-channel DDR2/DDR3 memory support and AM3/AM2+ motherboard compatibility. Last but not least, a dual-core Phenom II X2 560 clocked at 3.30GHz, as well as a quad-core Athlon II X4 645 clocked at 3.1GHz should hit the scene with a price tag hovering around $100. If X-bit's sources are accurate, you should be able to find one of these in stores starting September 21.

Last edited:
Holy megahurtz batman! :eek: 3.5ghz from the factory?!?!?! Yields must be pretty good and Amd must've ironed out some design flaws if they can guarantee their products to 3.5ghz. :thup: Amd!

Well that is spectacular for the non overclocker. For the rest of us it is nothing special as far as the PhII. The X6=X4 will most likely run on fewer boards that the current procs and I cant see unlocking on a non AM3 that does not have X6 support.

Does this mean that the current AMD CPU's on the market will most likely drop in price a little? I have been thinking about getting a Phenom ii x4 965 black edition but my wife wants me to wait for it to come down a little.

Thanks QuietIce ... I have read your overclocking guide which was very helpful until it got above my head and I started getting confused.

This is actually kind of exciting news for me ... now I guess I can quit sending random ebay stores questions telling them next month is my anniversary and it would really be cool if they could drop the price a little more so I can get it.

OoooHHOOooh An Athlon ii x4 @ 3.1??? :shock:

This will provide some competition for the Phenom ii x4 945, should be intereseting to see some benchmarks. For a near $100 price tag, I may consider picking one up to keep me going strong into the bulldozer days, but that is a thread for a different day.

I wonder if/what the phenom ii x2 560 will unlock into.

Does this mean that the current AMD CPU's on the market will most likely drop in price a little? I have been thinking about getting a Phenom ii x4 965 black edition but my wife wants me to wait for it to come down a little.

haha, out of this whole thing, thats what im hoping for too.. price drops for the current lineup

Great news for you AMD guyz :thup: I'm wondering if i should build an AMD for chits-n-giggles ;)

To be honest in day to day use there is little difference.

I can remember my first P4. It felt snappy and faster than my XP but when it came grunt time it was close to impotent.

The i5 6 series is very snappy but the AthII 620 @ 2.6 is also snappy though not a match for the PhII X4 or Intel Quads in heavy multitasking is a match for the i5 661 @3.33 HT on in many tasks. A lot of these perceived advantages are for marketing purposes anyway.

Apparently you don't know me to well, give me time I'm sure you will change your opinion on that.
I doubt it. You wouldn't believe some of the questions I've been asked in my time. I was a supervisor for 18 years and part of my job was teaching new people how to do their job. That saying comes from years of experience ... ;)

To be honest in day to day use there is little difference.

I can remember my first P4. It felt snappy and faster than my XP but when it came grunt time it was close to impotent.

The i5 6 series is very snappy but the AthII 620 @ 2.6 is also snappy though not a match for the PhII X4 or Intel Quads in heavy multitasking is a match for the i5 661 @3.33 HT on in many tasks. A lot of these perceived advantages are for marketing purposes anyway.

I'm well aware of that. I've been around for quite awhile so I know how it works on both sides as far as marketing ploys go trust me ;)

I'm well aware of that. I've been around for quite awhile so I know how it works on both sides as far as marketing ploys go trust me ;)

Just to be clear I did not mean for that to come across as insulting or anything like that. It was just a nudge to share the love. And yes I run (well they are sitting around for testing and benching) modern Intel systems:chair: But there again I never could stick with just one lover:rock:

@mxthunder

Thanks, I have been watching daily on newegg. Still holding out though because I have a feeling it has not dropped as low as it will in the coming weeks.

Funny thing, I also have watched them on ebay and found a guy that was selling the 965 BE for $279 + $25 shipping. His listing was not completely clear so I asked him a question about other than the cpu what else would I get for that price.

His response:
hello. the processor comes with AMD original box.

thanks

>.>

Back