• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build: Project Black Devil

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You really need those monstous QDCs on the CPU? They are hidious. They help you besides slowing flow rates? Dump the QDCs, learn about Bitspower 90 rotaries.

EK blocks are fine.

You shouldn't need a second pump. Redundancy is good. Think about it. If so, look at many potions for pumps and reses for dual pumps. And how to wire them properly.

And your gonna need a LOT mora raddage once you add the GPU's. LOTS.

Well there is a 420mm mounted up top. You just can't really see it in the picture. That is more area than a 480mm plus the 240 in front. Still not near enough with Black Ice GTX's?

Well I ordered three EK 680 Acetal+Nickel blocks and some fittings to redo things a little bit.

We'll call this the before picture ;)

DSC00094.jpg

You really need those monstous QDCs on the CPU? They are hidious. They help you besides slowing flow rates? Dump the QDCs, learn about Bitspower 90 rotaries.

As far as the QDC's go, I put a decent amount of thought into where to place them and with the way it is set up I can disconnect the inlet of the CPU, disconnect the outlet of the large radiator on top, take out the four screws that hold in the little front radiator and pull out the little front radiator, res, and pump all in one and work on it outside of the system. Then all I have to do is disconnect the outlet of the CPU and take out the 12 screws that hold the top radiator in and the rest of the loops comes out. I can literally go from enclosed case to the entire loop being out of the rig laying on the floor in about 5 minutes. I sure was glad they were there when I had to RMA my motherboard when I first put it together and then my pump two weeks later.

All that said, I don't really like the way they just stick out of the CPU block like that. I never really have. What I'm going to try is putting the QDC link in the middle of the line that goes from CPU out to large radiator in. Then I am going to reverse the line that goes from the large radiator out to small radiator in so the QDC is going in the small radiator in and the compression fitting will go in the large radiator out. I want to do that because I should be able to get two media drives in there now that I no longer have room for my sound card or it's front panel. Finally, I will put the QDC connection that is connected to the CPU inlet on the outlet of the pump. That leaves GPU in/out and CPU in/out all to be compression. This will allow me to still be able to disconnect at the motherboard on both sides and still get my loop out quickly or get my motherboard only out quickly if a mobo, cpu or gpu fails and I have to change something out. Hopefully the QDC's will be in places that don't draw so much attention when I get done.

As far as Bitspower 90 rotaries, I have a couple of them already. One is used in my fill port on the top of the res for the female QDC. They work very nicely :thup:

Well I finally have it completed, and the results are incredible! I'm very happy with them at least. Here's a picture of the end product, at least for now ;).

DSC00140.jpg

Like, I said, I'm real happy with the results.

Test: 45 Minutes of AIDA64 EE Stress Test - CPU and GPU's at 100%
Environment: 68F Basement, Yate Loons at full 2000 RPM

GPU's: 1278, 1228, 1228 Mhz
CPU: 4.7 Ghz

GPU Max Temp: 43, 41, and 35
CPU Max temp: 56, 64, 63, 58

I'm not sure what's normal, but it beats the hell out of the 75C I was getting on the GPU's before!

Here are some teaser photos of what I've got so far. I'm still waiting on my res, fittings, fan controller, blu ray drive, more cable sleeving, more shrink tubing, a 240GB Vertex 3, and an 8GB Red Vengeance memory kit to go with the Black one I have in the motherboard at this time.

I was really impressed with how the Maximus IV board looked. Really just a stunning looking board and perfect for my red/black theme.

I've painted the drives to match everything else. I used a semi gloss black and should have probably used flat black, but the difference in colors isn't near as extreme in normal light as it is shown here under flash. You can't tell that much of a difference, and it looks infinitely better than the gray they came as.

I was especially pleased with the mounting of the hard drive cage in the bottom. I was able to use pre drilled/threaded holes in the cage that lined up with the honeycomb holes in the bottom of the case and just used thumb screws that came with the case.

Here it is so far:

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

I also bought the elysium and the gtx 420 rad but I have 2 problemswith mounting it: 1.) The hole alignment in the roof and on the radiator does not match up. It is at least 2-3mm of for each of them. 2.) The radiator comes into contacht with the plastic retention clip that holds the top dust panel in place which causes the radiator to be at an angle. :shrug: Could you tell me how you managed to overcome these problems plz? Thank you :thup:

Man I am so sorry for the late response. I haven't checked this thread in a while.

I overcame the hole alignment problem by using a die grinder. You could probably get by with using a drill. With the screws in you really can't even tell I used a die grinder as I just had to "adjust" the holes a bit ;).

You are also correct about the retention clip. It will have to go. I just removed mine as you can't use the filter on top with screws in it anyways.

Back