• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cooling system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Perfect dude! You got it, and I think you did great except some 'issues' I did mention.

You took it very well, thank you and let us know. I'm happy for you, looking for temp results in a week or so, no rush, prove me rong.

I appreciate the tough lovin', honestly. Soon as I get the rig stable and sitting here, I'm planning on running some tests to see how it performs at stock.. Then, in a month or so, I'll probably start looking into overclocking it. That should give me plenty of time to read up on it first.

Yep, your doing fine we have forums just for the overclocking folks for GPU/CPU.

You notice I don't OC? In the summer my room gets hot in Vegas. OC just makes it hotter for me, all games (dunno, gaming has lost some appeal) maybe due to the rehash of games.

Anyhoo, keep at it you'z got a clue now.

Yep, your doing fine we have forums just for the overclocking folks for GPU/CPU.

You notice I don't OC? In the summer my room gets hot in Vegas. OC just makes it hotter for me, all games (dunno, gaming has lost some appeal) maybe due to the rehash of games.

Anyhoo, keep at it you'z got a clue now.

know what you mean. it doesn't seem to matter what pc i've got... in phoenix it seems to be a freaking' space heater in the summer. particularly since i've rarely got anything resembling good ac in my living quarters.

Heck it almost serves as a space heater now in the winter. keeps the room almost warm.

Part of why i'm thinking about going back into watercooling. I can hide the rad wherever i want to... outside the room ideally. already got my eye on this giant rad from a refrigeration unit... copper piping, plenty of dense aluminum fins... this thing is like 12 inches thick and 4 feet by 2 feet. can have it for free... figured it's probably enough rad for passive cooling.

if I can find a water pump for free or almost free... i'll be making a water loop and trying out my old style water blocks... some fellow on the board is using them now... so i guess the water block design still works... maybe. (not that it's my design, more like the design i like making and using)

that said, dude love the good news, sounds like you built it right the first time. :) better then I can claim about my first water rig.

Last edited:
^.^ No leaks this morning. Letting it go while I'm at work.

Next question.. CAse fans. I'm running 4 case fans now, plus the three rad fans.. A total of 3 exhaust, 2 intake, and two fans in the middle of the case blowing inwards.

Could I knock it down to the 3 rad fans, one xhaust and one intake case fan? Or no intake,s and use the rad as intake?

Next question.. CAse fans. I'm running 4 case fans now, plus the three rad fans.. A total of 3 exhaust, 2 intake, and two fans in the middle of the case blowing inwards.

Could I knock it down to the 3 rad fans, one xhaust and one intake case fan? Or no intake,s and use the rad as intake?

generally i like positive case pressure. it keeps out a lot of dust. It also (imho) creates better cleaner airflow within the case and helps cooling a bit (again, my option, there is a lengthy sticky in these forums about positive vs negative case pressure)... so i'd find a way to get a little more airflow into the case. but that's just how i would do it.

I was just in Phoenix over Christmas...your winters are like our nice MI spring days. :p

this has been an abnormally cold (and wet) winter for phoenix. Usually it's 75 and sunny. It is following an abnormally cold and wet summer (usually summer is like 25 straight weeks of 110+ degrees, with not a cloud in the sky), last year we only broke 110 for like 2 weeks. the rest of the summer it was 100+ and rainy.

Last edited:

Thats great news. I would power everything on once you head back home from work that is.

Keep everything stock and run some tests to see your CPU/GPU Temps.

Congrats!

Definitely play around with the fans and see what works best for you. Don't worry about temperatures too much in terms of how the fannage affects them. Granted, I am way over-radded, but I've found I get virtually the same performance whether I have the rad fans on or not.

Dust and the amount of air your rads need to function effectively are another question though.

Either way, change things up a bit, do some test runs, and use what you like the most.

Alright! Woo! It's up and running. Got it all plugged in, everything powers up.. But.

There's always a but.

the fan on my powersupply spins when I hit the power button.. Spins for maybe 10 seconds, and then stops completely. But, as is obvious by my being here, it seems to -work- just fine.

Is this a bad sign? Will the Corsair HX750 fan kick in when it needs it? If it needs it?

It's kinda funny. Having a PSU with a fan that isn't spinning can either mean it's really bad or really good, not in between. :p

Yeah the newer line or batch of Corsair PSUs pretty much all do that. My old TX950w fan is always spinning constantly when my AX1200i isn't and has never went on for that matter other than the test spin it does off a start up.

If you check in their threads, alot of people thought their PSU's fan were broken because of this behavior but they eventually were told by the staff at corsair that it is suppose to do that. It only turns on when it is needed. If it doesn't spin at all or make funny noises is when you should investigate. Other than that you're good to go.

Whats with all the Haf-X hate guys?

Giant fancy overkill case that's worth more than your CPU is. You spent more on a case than a CPU, or GPU, or anything else. :facepalm:

Why not? The case will last longer than both the CPU and GPU. So why not make sure you get something you know you will have enough space for years?

the HAF-X is huge and probably unnecessary. you could save another $50-100 here. unless you're planning multiple GPU or multiple 240/360 radiators, then you really don't need this case. I have a haf-x and you can see it in my build pictures. it now has 1x 360 rad and 2x 140 rads, but i haven't updated the pics. Overall a decent case, however the coolermaster fans are WEAK.

The haf-x is large, however a case is more than just function as well. I love how it looks :)

Also im not sure what fans are included, but i put Megaflows in mine (replacing the stock side and top fans). They seem to work well for air. From what ive read, the BitFenix Spectre Pro fans are hard to mount in anything but a BitFenix case, tho ive seen it done in a haf-x at least (tho a youtuber comment states he cant get it in his haf-x *shrug*). The only other issue i can see (personally) with the fan is the LED's. Looking at the pics, they seem to be behind the mounting holes, and thus, unable to be changed (ive been thinking about switching out the led's in my mega flows for a different color)

Here's my idle temps.. Well. My temps while idling, with Guildwars 2 in the background and my fans running at 1000-1100 rpm, except for my exhaust fan. CPUID says it runs at 750.

I occasionally hear a sound that sounds like my frontmost rad fan is hitting something, and it's odd. Sometimes it goes away if I press on the front of the case that's in no way connected to the fan.. Sometimes if I press in the middle of the fan.. And sometimes if I just -touch- the edge of the rad beneath it.

Weird.

Anywho! Idle speeds there. Now, to see if I can figure out how to use P95.

Edit: And immediately after posting this, I bluescreened for the third time since the rigs been up and running. >.< Dammit.

Attachments

• Idle.png
    Idle.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 34
So basically, sorry to be confused here but you ended up building this whole rig (and not going with CyberPC) and puttinn the obvious watercooling together right? If yes, than I would just do all the MB, BIOS updates as well as Windows (I know you stated that you installed the software before but wasn't sure if the updates were done as well). Than do some benchmarking with the temps. Your temps seem really good from I see. The BSOD could be from the software possibly needing an update. What BBCode was it btw?

Edit: I was hungover when posting this post so don't mind it. Thanks lol

Last edited:
It went away before I could grab the code from it. But, drivers are fully installed.. Windows updates are done (I'm about to double check, but they should be good.)

I actually think it's CPUID causing the BSOD's... Thikning back on the other two, they've all happened with CPUID running.

I left my computer running while I was at work today, and it was on all morning.. A total of about 12 hours, and it was running when I got home just fine. I sat down, loaded cpuid, posted and bam. BSOD.

As for tests - Yes. I've gotta figure out how p95 works.. Do I just open it, click blend, and that's the test? It doesn't.. Look.. Like it's doing anything.

Back