• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New gear for oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

topslop1

Hey guys, I'm a newbie around here, just getting into the forum. I've been overclocking since I was 13 and I'm just starting to really delve into it deeply 3 years later.

So my current setup is an Abit NF7-S and a 2500+ locked barton. I didn't have much luck with my last processor which was an unlocked barton and I didn't have a really great experience with this one either, but that's because I don't have proper cooling for it exactly.

With that aside I'm getting a DFI Infinity - 2600+ mobile and I've already got one single stick of 512mb mushkin pc 3500 black level 2. I'm setting goals of 10x250 with 10.5x250 as a luxury. Anything past this would be unexpected. Looking for 20 - 21k 3dmark01 on Windows XP. ( 9800 pro )

Anyhow I'm going to be resorting and looking into this community in the next few weeks for advice and support. Thanks all ahead of time and wish me luck on my goals.

you should get the M2600+ first and try it with your NF7-S,if it dosent OC as good as you want to then get the DFI. you have some nice BH-5 ram there too. if you are going to be air cooling get the SP-97 by thermalright and dont forget the AS5

*edit* WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Well I will have a period of time with both the NF7-S and the DFI Infinity in my grasp. I am aiming for a very high front side bus and I also know that there was a problem with the 10 and 10.5 multipliers? Not exactly sure if it's been corrected since I last checked but I am well aware of it. Also I heard that max fsbs people were getting were around 230 on the NF7?

As for heatsink I have an SLK-900a and I'm using Artic Silver 3? I also have an Enermax 90mm 60cfm fan. I beleive it to be a sufficent cooling setup for at least 1.85v

yes the nf7's fsb is around 230 but people get high clock speeds in general with it, the mobiles are all getting around 2.5ghz some more, some less. im not sure about the multi issue your talking about but ive heard that the dfi has some bios issues, but if you have used both and prefer the infinity go with it they are both great boards. the Slk-900A is what i used on my last system, witch the mobo died on, and it worked great with a 92mm tornado. the 900A is currently the 3rd best heatsink around now, correct me if im wrong but it is the best for mobos that dont have mounting holes for the sp-97 and 94. as3 should be fine it is great stuff.

Alright, well the main reason I bought the infinity was for a high front side bus and the added voltage for my ram. - the abit cuts out at 2.9volts ( I know I could've done a vdimm and then put better cooling on the north bridge possibly but it would be a wide stretch even then )

I bought the SLK-900a becuase I didn't want to be bothered with taking the motherboard out - this was before I had plans of getting the Infinity. And the AS3 is just lying around, figured I'd use it up before I spent another $10.

It all begins on Wednesday ( hopefully when fedex pulls thorugh )

Back