• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new guy with questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonathan

Registered
i've been reading the forums for a few months and this is my first post. i bought a geforce ti4200 128mb today, mainly because i've read pretty good things on this site about it. well anyway i benchmarked it and overclocked it to 300/525 . granted i don't have some great setup but it seems like it should have been higher. right now i've got a k7s5a ecs mobo, 1ghz amd processor and a 512 pc2100 ddr chip, i'm running 2 psu's and 4 case fans, a 40gig slave and a 15gig gig master hdd. anyway to get down to it i benched 6515 after the card had been run pretty hard for about 4 hours (spiderman,max payne,hitman, to see how they looked :) i was wondering if the cpu is holding me back and if i should put ram sinks on the new card. i've read some things about the card no needing them because ddr doesn't get hot enough to gain anything from it. i don't know if thats true or not so i'm not sure if i should fool with it, so i turn to you guys . thanks for the help and sorry for such a long post.
jonathan

it seems a little low for your set up. but it all depends on the tweaks you do and the drivers your using. nothing to realy worrie about. as for ram sinks, they wont get you much but they do help. best way to tell how much youll gain from ram/gpu cooling is to open the side and blow a big house fan on the card. welcome to the forums

Welcome to the forums!

Truth be told, most guys here are getting results alot lower than their highest 3Dmark scores. I will defrag (or re-install) and set my drivers to the fastest, crappiest-looking settings just to run a 3DMark bench...but I ain't gonna do that every time I want to play a game ;) My everyday scores are about 600-700 points lower than my "high" score...

That being said, are you are just looking for benches, or real-world performance answers to your question? After "the card had been run pretty hard for about 4 hours (spiderman,max payne,hitman, to see how they looked", I'd say that was an average bench considering what games/programs you had installed on the OS and the memory you had tied up after those games were ran...and the fact that you probably didn't tweak your drivers for maximum performance (read sh*tty graphics) ;)

i new i forgot something. :p i saw people on here talking about 29.42 drivers (xp pro), so thats what i downloaded.

hey jonathan, welcome to the forums!

in fact it seems like the cpu is holding you back. check this out and the cpu scaling under other games in the article.

this is a OLD post but still, i forgot about it and wanted to tell you otto you were right, lol. my cpu was holding me back something unreal , i put in a 1800xp and know bench about 3500 marks higher, next in line is the water cooling. :D i can't wait

Back