• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new HDD new partitions sizes help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abarth_1200

Hi guys, picked up a 160GB VR, currently have a 74GB Raptor and running out of space already on a 2 week old fresh install of W7 so replacing that. I also have a 500GB WD with a load of files on.

A few questions, what is the best way to go about partitioning this drive drive for best performance,

Should I make C partition say 60GB for OS and the rest for apps and games so they still load quick.

Or how small can I make my OS partition, how much space does W7 ultimate need.

Also regarding my 500GB drive is it OK to just keep all the files on this to use alongside when I reinstall W7 on my 160GB VR or should I reformat both drives.

And another question, sounds a bit stupid but should I be able to install Windows 7 from bios as in not putting the boot disk in my drive while im already in my OS.

Hope you guys can help, I have just spent the last 4 hours reading most of the threads here and learned quite a lot.:-/ :D

Hi guys, picked up a 160GB VR, currently have a 74GB Raptor and running out of space already on a 2 week old fresh install of W7 so replacing that. I also have a 500GB WD with a load of files on.

A few questions, what is the best way to go about partitioning this drive drive for best performance,

Should I make C partition say 60GB for OS and the rest for apps and games so they still load quick.

As I understand it, there is no speed gain available if you are using only a single drive, so essentially you can do that part however it suits.

Or how small can I make my OS partition, how much space does W7 ultimate need.

My W7 Ultimate install with Office & a few other standard app's came to around 40Gb.

Also regarding my 500GB drive is it OK to just keep all the files on this to use alongside when I reinstall W7 on my 160GB VR or should I reformat both drives.

I'd actually disconnect it during the W 7 install ( W 7 does funny things occasionally to the 1st drive in the bunch, and I find it simpler just to do the install with 1 drive connected) and then as you say... have it tacked on there with your various bits and pieces on it.

And another question, sounds a bit stupid but should I be able to install Windows 7 from bios as in not putting the boot disk in my drive while im already in my OS.

Absolutely the best way to do it.

Hope you guys can help, I have just spent the last 4 hours reading most of the threads here and learned quite a lot.:-/ :D

No worries... that's what this place is all about.

No prob at all... happy to help, and yes... don't I know it... clean air/green/ fish... oh the fish!

Back