• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HSF not doing the job?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BboySkid

Registered
I just got a bunch of cooling equipment here, some case fans and stuff, but anyway

before i got all this, i had some cheap downtown computer store cpu fan on my duron 850, not oc'ed, and it was idling at about 40-44 celsius, so i just thought the horrible fan was the problem. when i got my case fans, i put one 80mm in the front for intake and one in the back for exhaust, and i replaced my cheap cpu fan with the thermaltake volcano ii, which was reputed to be a cheap way for above average cooling

to my surprise, with both case fans on and the V2, my idle temp is about 42 degrees, which makes me wonder

now i didnt bother getting any thermal compound or lapping just yet, i thought id see how cheap fan compared to v2 without modification

without my case fans my cpu temp is about 48 degrees, which is dang high for my un-oc'ed chip (IMO)

i was wondering if i were to lapp my heatsink and get some arctic silver ii, how much of a difference i would see

and any other suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks

now i didnt bother getting any thermal compound or lapping just yet, i thought id see how cheap fan compared to v2 without modification

I assume you're using the thermal pad that came with the sink then? At least SOMETHING is between the sink and the cpu?

I'd guess at least 10° c temp difference with lapping and AS II

Shadow is correct, you need something between the heatsink and CPU. That is like building a great motor and not putting in the oil. Buy some artic silver II and lap the heatsink. As Shadow stated you will probably see at leat a 10C drop.

BboySkid (May 09, 2001 03:18 p.m.):
when i got my case fans, i put one 80mm in the front for intake and one in the back for exhaust,

The locations of the fans on the case is not as simple as placing an intake and exhaust in the case as bad placement can assist in keeping heat in the case and this is what I believe might be happening to you if the fans are at the same height. While the cool air enters through the intake, if the exhaust is at the same height it may just exit straight out of the exhaust specially if both fans are placed low in the case (as heat rises and the cool air is more dense) , thus making the system ineffective and keeping the ambient temperature of the case warm as the exhaust will be using some of its capacity to move cool air which in turn does not reach the components.. you may find by just using one fan no matter if it that be the intake or exhaust may just lower your temperatures due to increased effectiveness

-----------------------

Duron 800 @ 1050 with Global Win FOP-32 (140 x 7.5)
Abit KT7A-Raid Mobo
512 mb (133 mhz Crucial Stuff)
Hard Drive Cooler
Elsa Gforce with Blue Orb (modified to display as a Quadro and overclocked http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/ )
Sound Blaster Live
Full Tower with 5 (120 mm) case fans with seperate PSU

hey, thanks for the advice guys

well, since i last posted i have added a 120 blowhole and a 120 in the lower side blowing my cards

my 80s are intake lower front and exhaust upper back, so i think im ok with positioning

maybe too many fans but what the heck, eh?

anyway im thikin about that arctic silver stuff, seems pretty decent, because i took my hsf off to see what that stock thermal pad looked like, the plac where its hitting the core is almost void of any compound, hope to fix it soon hehe, thanks again

Back