• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Mouse Quit Working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soldierguy

I bought a new Steelseries Ikari Laser Mouse to replace the existing mouse..same brand/type etc. just old and occasionally the cursor quit appearing on the screen and other similar buggy behaviour made me think it was worn. Now I'm thinking its something else?

Anyway i plugged in the new USB replacement and and for a couple minutes it worked just fine, but then there was a brief screen error..it didn't stay long..but said something about "exceeding the hubs capacity"..it might have been in red colored type. It was so brief I kinda forget all the details. It just came on briefly and then my system froze. Was it referring to electrical capacity? or data capacity?

I went through a series of Resets because nothing was working quite right..the new mouse not at all..and unplugged a few external hard drives in case I was using too many USB connections. No external hub but this mobo..MSI Z87 MPOWER supports lots of connections on the back panel and front as well and I've got a driving wheel/pedals/external hard drives/printer/scanner etc.

I reconnected the old mouse(also a Ikari laser) and its working and reviewed all the devices in the Control Panel and all working. I think early on there was a yellow asterisk over something? probably the new mouse, but it's disappeared. And when i plug in the new mouse nothing happens or appears anywhere that I can see.

I downloaded the latest driver from Steelseries removed the old driver and install the new, but still the new Mouse won't work. I did troubleshooting on all the devices and all "working properly".

BTW the new mouse is getting electricity..it has some lights that come on and some readings regarding mouse sensitivity settings that I've configured..it just doesn't get recognized by the PC? It doesn't work on the screen etc.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I got the replacement mouse, and getting similar results.

My BAD. Its taken me a while, and it wasn't the first mouse..it was me.

Sorry to the vendor..

Its taken a while but I finally got the mouse to work. I needed to go into "Compatibility" and select "Run with Win XP" and also select "Run as Administrator".

Not sure if ..Administrator was necessary, but I did. It was probably just needing to run as WIN XP. And I just now succeeded so not sure yet if all of the mouse features will work, but I'm supposing they will.

Good luck to all.

Tom

Back