• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New playstation 3 info. it will seriously blow your mind

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^^ UT kicked halo 1 butt as far as i am concerned - Halo was the only good game for Xbox at that time..lol

:D

Umm... Halo 1 came out before UT2k4 and Halo 2 came out after... Halo 2 looks a lot better than UT2k4 IMO.

Salomon Orangge said:
You're also prolly going to go bankrupt trying to buy one of these things. The talk about the cell processor I was reading in another article says it might be used for big server systems and supercomputers.

I havent heard about how much this is going to cost, or how much games will be, but having looked at all this, I'm expecting upwards of 400 bucks.

No thank you very much. I'll stick with my computer.

i mean come on. I dont whana spend $149 for a PS2 if they think that i will pay anthing over $200 well they can kiss my :eek: . and yes by the time it coems out that sh**** will be old news or there will be better system than that like xbox 17 or somthing.

I always said same thing Unreal Tournment kills halo. Just at the time there were no decent games so xobox owners had to act like oh my god its so awsome. THen people who dont even no anything about the game play it thanks to the hype and just agree its awsome.

It is awesome, Halo is a lot more fun that UT. Halo 2 is even more fun. Wish it had longer SP though...

i'm not much of a console person myself (this is why i don't own any console systems), but i would have to stick with the xbox as far as that goes... if i have to use a console controller for my games, it's going to be an xbox controller, not a playstation controller.

and even though playstation has more games, i think that xbox has a lot of really good ones that are specific to the xbox, like the halo franchise, fable, and some others. the power of the graphics doesn't make much of a difference on a regular tv, but on a plasma tv or a big-screen, it does make a difference.

It all comes down to the games. There are many games out there that look really good but are not fun to play. Also, I still play games from old sytems that are 15 years old but the graphics are no that good.

Alacritan said:
NEWS FLASH!

Both Sony and Microsoft are getting Cell processors for their consoles from IBM! They're using the same CPU for their consoles. The number of CPUs and at what clock speed and with how much memory is yet to be officially announced, though you can bet they won't be running at 4.6Ghz. It would be far too expensive and way too hot to be cooled quietly. They'll use lower clocked versions of the Cell processor without a doubt, most likely in the 2-3Ghz range. But everything so far is speculation and rumor.

And gotta say news flash to you too. PS3 and Xbox2 are not using the same CPU's. Yes both are being made by IBM along with even oh the Gamecube one also.

PS3 = Cell CPU's
Xbox2 = Modified 3x 3.5Ghz G5 CPU (Suppositly does less work per cycle to get that clock speed)
Gamecube2 (or what ever they call it) = Modified G4/G5 CPU romured

This information has been out for nearly a year! So its not new news, but semi new, the really thing thats holding back on specs is Sony's system. There doesn't seem to be a firm standing on whats going to be in there. Probley nothing will be set in stone til they show it off early next year (think it was Feburary they said something about having a public display of it).

Never less it looks like Xbox2 will go up in the rankings due to possibley comeing out 6-12months prior to Sony's system (will give Microsoft a nice hold on the market).

Personally I like both systems and hope they both do equally well, since neck to neck compition is great for us consumers.

theMonster said:
Read this sentence again OC NOOB.

(Sony didn't learn their lesson with the PSX).

Do you know what a PSX is? Do the research and see how and why it failed.

Your research is making wildly opinionated statements, so I think I'll stay away from that kind of "research".

How you can determine that Sony didn't learn anything from the PSX is beyond me and yes I know what it is. Its not like they came out with PSX 2 and you (or I or anyone else) know what they will be doing with PS3 models.

I fail to see how you can accurately make such bold statemements.

Whatever, no one ever said opinions had to be accurate I guess.

tenchi86 said:
Alac you sound just like a angry fanboy who is made because the Xbox got the crap kicked out of it and the games selection is much worse. Grahpics are nice but latly companies put to much pressure on the graphics I mean look at doom it is probaly the best looking game ever but all and all gameplay was lacking. Any way the next consol war will probaly turn out that Xbox comes out before PS3 so it will gain ground I tihnk MS said somthing like 30% but the PS3 when it does come out will be more powerful.

So you counter his fanboyism with more fanboy remarks?

Xbox has sold more games them PS2 for atleast 1 month recently, probably more (haven't been looking at the sales estimates). C' mon, Xbox has had tons of 9+/10 games just recently (more then PS2 recently) and has a great library. Xbox sells tons of games even though its so far behind in console sales and yes it did out sell PS2 in games one month (that I know of) and probably November also considering the 1.5+ million copies of Halo 2.

PS2 won the battle, but I wouldn't say Xbox is doing that bad, especially the library (its great if you aren't a Japanesse RPG fan;) ).

PSX was a hybrid, burner/recording/ps2 unit. Truely for all the features it had, I couldn't see why it wouldn't sell semi good even though it was on the semi pricey side.

It has quiet of bit of features for such a unit, and don't know if it ever made it to the US or not but if I didn't have a PS2 and was still playing it I'd probley have gotten one, since I'd love to have a recording/burning device for my TV (since my computer can't get anywhere near that due to small apartment and lots of furnature hehe). It get rid of my damn VCR that I bearly use.

Oaky Deathman, if you'd be willing to fork out over $700 for it then more power to you. OC Noob, I don't kow what your knowledge level is with PCs but it's obviously not very good when it comes to consoles. I'm a collector and afficianado, so maybe you're barking up the wrong tree here. It's best to stick to what you know.

You guys are like a bunch of little kids...

Does anyone have any concrete sales figures for PSX? Its obviously a niche product, just because they dont sell a ton doesnt mean its not successful.

Hopefully similar CPU architectures will mean more games coming out for all consoles.

theMonster said:
Oaky Deathman, if you'd be willing to fork out over $700 for it then more power to you. OC Noob, I don't kow what your knowledge level is with PCs but it's obviously not very good when it comes to consoles. I'm a collector and afficianado, so maybe you're barking up the wrong tree here. It's best to stick to what you know.

Okay, so Sony and I have a total lack of knowledge about consoles and you know everything.

Your so full of yourself you probably believe that.

ps I started gaming on a pre-Atari 2600 pong system so don't assume that just because you grew up fending off dinosaurs that your the only one whose been playing video games for a while now. You know what they say about assuming and making an *** out of yourself.

deathBOB said:
You guys are like a bunch of little kids...

Does anyone have any concrete sales figures for PSX? Its obviously a niche product, just because they dont sell a ton doesnt mean its not successful.

Hopefully similar CPU architectures will mean more games coming out for all consoles.

I want my mommy!!!

It didn't sell enough in the PS's strongest market and thats why they didn't bring it to the US. If people in Japan aren't buying it, you know American's won't. They are just a better (not larger) market for things like the PSX.

Sure Noob, that's what EVERYBODY says, I played pong, I'm old school,blah blah blah. I have in my posession everything I could get my hands on since the time of the Odysseys that is Odysseys plural not the Odyssey 2. If you truly know your stuff then you know what I mean,but of course you could just google it and find out, so I can't for sure say what you know or how hardcore you really are, but speaking of asses, Sony totally lost theirs on the PSX and are still trying to pawn them off on people at a "discount". If it had been Sega or Nintendo that made that big of a collossal error then they would be near ruin. Sega was near ruin after losing a bit of money on the Saturn and Dreamcast which both combined didn't even cost 1/3 of what it cost to manufacture the PSX. The whole point of all this **** was to say that people aren't going to dish out $1500 to buy all three the PS3, Xbox2 and Nintendo whatever, like I did for the current systems (I paid $635 combined). Sure they'll pay that much for a PC, but they're not quite plug and play like a console and they're multi-purpose, not just for games therefore people can justify the price tag. I believe Nintendo will be the victor in the next round of console wars due to having the unit with the lowest introductory price.

theMonster said:
Sure Noob, that's what EVERYBODY says, I played pong, I'm old school,blah blah blah. I have in my posession everything I could get my hands on since the time of the Odysseys that is Odysseys plural not the Odyssey 2. If you truly know your stuff then you know what I mean,but of course you could just google it and find out, so I can't for sure say what you know or how hardcore you really are, but speaking of asses, Sony totally lost theirs on the PSX and are still trying to pawn them off on people at a "discount". If it had been Sega or Nintendo that made that big of a collossal error then they would be near ruin. Sega was near ruin after losing a bit of money on the Saturn and Dreamcast which both combined didn't even cost 1/3 of what it cost to manufacture the PSX. The whole point of all this **** was to say that people aren't going to dish out $1500 to buy all three the PS3, Xbox2 and Nintendo whatever, like I did for the current systems (I paid $635 combined). Sure they'll pay that much for a PC, but they're not quite plug and play like a console and they're multi-purpose, not just for games therefore people can justify the price tag. I believe Nintendo will be the victor in the next round of console wars due to having the unit with the lowest introductory price.

My mother's best friend's husband (sounds funny but we spent a lot of time with her and her husband) was an eltectronics freak. He was the reason we got the Pong system for Xmas and we played Atari 2600 over there until mom could aford one. He hooked us up with copies of hundreds of C64 games and got us into PC gaming. My first memory of the Atari 2600 was Adventure and peeing my pants when the clowns die in Curcus Atari. I'm not a "hardcore" gamer, but have been doing it a bit more then casually since age 3 or 4.

That is a snipit from my auto-bio, available in stores now for $.03.

Anyway, I agree people won't pay tons of cash for a console, but I believe Sony/MS/Nintendo can make a more expensive device with DVR features that will sell fairly well. I'm sure they wouldn't sell as well as the console only version, but I do believe there is a market for a multifunction device that would, for example, cost $400 for the system, a built-in DVR and computer like multimedia functions (AVI, Divx, MPEG1/2 capabilities). All console manufacturers have to do is add the hard drive and custom software... maybe a few jacks. Pretty much like people were doing with modded Xboxes.

PSX was just too pricey and you would think Sony knows not too be so ambitious this time around. Also, its not as if a great new piece of hardware with an old crusty console is very attractive. Its seems like buying a top of the line computer with a 1x CD-Rom in it. Sony is huge and I'm sure it didn't hurt that bad and you would think they learned something from it, but that is my opinion.

Guess we'll wait and see what they bring out.

ps I'd be more worried about Nintendo, they've been pretty off-the-wall recently. I'm almost scared to see what the Revolution is going to be, lol.

theMonster said:
Sure Noob, that's what EVERYBODY says, I played pong, I'm old school,blah blah blah. I have in my posession everything I could get my hands on since the time of the Odysseys that is Odysseys plural not the Odyssey 2. If you truly know your stuff then you know what I mean,

What are you trying to say? That since you own an archaic console you're old school and know everything about console gaming? I fail to see how owning a certain system proves that you "know your stuff". In fact I fail to see how arguing about this proves that you're a hardcore gamer. If you were as hardcore as you seem to think you are then it seems to me you would be playing DoDonPachi Daioujou and living in Japan or something instead of surfing the web. But what do I know? I'm not as hardcore as you!

Robrules18 said:
I can just imagine my grandkids buying that "new-fangled device" that will be the PS12 or the GameDodecahedron

Ha! That would be one cool looking console. I wonder if they would rip you off by selling the stand seperate, like the PS2 does! Becuase that thing would probably roll over a lot! :p

Well I like RPGs so thats probaly why I like PS2 so much more then Xbox. Any way plain and simple the PS3 will own. I would like to see any 4 ghz computer match a 4 ghx consol in graphics. Main thing is the game selection which so far sony has yet to let down in. it will be fun to see who wins though Blue-Ray or HD-DVD. This is starting to seem like another beta vs vhs. Sony was beta who well was from what I remember supirior in everyway to VHS, yet VHS still won. Maybe it was price I forget any way blue ray could turn out tha same.

Back