• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC'ing and the forums both.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

Hello everyone. I've been visiting this site for a few days now, mostly because google tends to direct me here, and I have to say that the information here is top-knotch.

I'd like to start by saying that I have never performed an overclock, and I'm not sure that I even need one, but the idea is intriguing to me.

I bought an Asus Essentio CM1630 (a computer that seems to show up a few times in these forums) last year from Best Buy, and I absolutely love it. It's my pride and joy, and I push it pretty hard. It, however, is far from "stock".

I'll list my specs at the bottom of this post, and in my sig later on. But on to my question: I got my new Phenom II x4 960T yesterday, and dropped it right in with no problems. It's running at a pretty steady 42C~43C right now with my browser open, and SpeedFan tells me it doesn't hit over 52C under average load for about 3 hr's strait. I haven't bothered unlocking the 2 extra cores that likely exist, mostly because I've heard of that pushing total wattage up to ~130w, and my board only supports 95w. So, what about OC'ing? I know that I'll have to flash my bios with a modded version to have access to what I need, and I have no problem with that (actually, I have flashed them to the modded once already, but went back to OEM so I didn't have to mess with WGA at the time). I've heard of these processors hitting upwards of ~4GHz with a stock or near stock heatsink/fan, and up to ~7GHz with liquid cooling. That's pretty huge, and maybe some day I'll look into it, but for now I'd be happy with a .5GHz boost. Any suggestions? Or should I just leave it stock? 3GHz is pretty fast.

My Rig:
Case: Asus Essentio CM1630 (with an Antec fan in the side vent, not sure what size, but it's big)
Motherboard: M4A78LT-M(CM1630)
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 960T @ 3GHz
Memory: 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline DDR3 1600MHz
PSU: Coolermaster 550w
Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 550Ti (Factory OC'd)

Unless your modded BIOS has overclocking options you're out of luck, unless you can match up the onboard clock generator (PLL) w/ software like SetFSB or ClockGen.

According to bios-mods.com, where I originally downloaded them, the modded bios are from a retail M4A78LT-M motherboard, and have features that are stripped from the OEM board.

Quoted from the site, "This ROM will enable the following options in the Bios, previously stripped from the OEM version: JumperFree Configuration, CPU Configuration (core unlocker/unleash), NorthBridge Configuration, Memory Configuration, ECC Configuration, APM Configuration, HW Monitor Configuration, and ASUS O.C. Profile."

Back