• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to SSD's need a little info.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wade7575

Registered
I'm looking at getting a Samsung 850 Pro SSD to use as a storage drive and I was wondering what happens when a sector goes bad with an SSD do you that data.

I understand that when sector goes bad on any HDD or SSD the data is gone but at least with an HDD the sectors don't go bad instantly the way an SSD's would.

I was thinking of backing stuff up as well on a normal HDD that I have that does not have many hours on it at all that way if the SSD fail's out right then I don't loose everything.

For storage, I would get a 850 Evo or something a little slower or made for reads even... (OCZ Trion 100/150). Writes are a bit slower, but if its a storage drive, you aren't writing much once the data lands.

Though SSD reliability is higher than HDDs it seems, I would, and still do, back up to a HDD.

That's what I do, I have a 850 EVO and my backup is a HDD.

Same...I backup my SSDs to a HDD.

And then backup the backup.

And then backup the backup, backup.

And then backup the backup, backup, backup...

Wait...I think I got carried away! Was about to say "floppy disk". :D

To answer you question about bad sectors. Leave 10gigs unnalocated, the ssd will use that free space to deal with this issue.

As mentioned, I would definitely go for something more along the lines of an 850 EVO. Especially since it's just for storage.
Just like any storage media, keep a backup (even a cloud backup works fine, if you prefer), as any drive can die.

Back