• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New TT Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I believe you are still free to like what you like, but I admit to never having read the Patriot Act so, if the police show up at your door don't say I said anything. LOL

Hehe! That's the link and review I refered to in my post earlier today only I forgot to put the link! I've got a bad case of CRS!

Why you guys so negative about it? i have built a system for my friend with thermaltake silent tower and although its not exactly silent it keeps the a64 2800+ at 48c 100% load running @ 2,4GHz

Also about this sonic thing... what if you try to stick the fan between the 2 rows of towers? it will utilize the airflow better and that way getting better results... when it becomes available i ll deffinatelly give it a try... anyways its half the price of xp-120...

And the fact that Thermalright isn't available in all parts of the world makes things worse. They have a MOQ of 1000 pieces, a quantity that will take one year to finish in a low-cost market like India, and because they only manufacture heatsinks it is not feasible for them to export any less quantities.

Thermaltake, on the other hand, manufactures cases, upgrade kits, fans, power supplies, and a ton of other stuff so their products are available. Not cheaply or easily, but available. Because they can bundle various products they can ship the high-dollar items in quantities of 10.

I have always used TT because nothing else was available, but have found that for the money, they perform very well indeed, the failure rate is low (Two PCs in three years, neither fan has failed :touchwood:. My temps have remained in control, far more than the stock HSFs have managed, and with the new Volcano 12 the noise level is extremely low for the kind of overclock I'm putting the CPU through...

Thermalright may be a lot better, but since I can't try it it's a moot point anyway. I need a cooling solution, and TT Tower 112 seems to be the way to go for me, with a single 92 mm Sunon I managed to score reasonably cheap. It's all copper, and can be used on my current socket A as well as last through my next big system upgrade to 939. If it wasn't so freakin expensive I would've picked it up today ($80 equivalent around here).

These heatpipes are pretty thin...

Interesting thing is that in many tests "passive coolers" can't handle faster CPUs with full load, when on Silentpcreview they run AC Freezer as passive, when it's designed for active cooling...

If you used 3 fans with that "passive" TT, in BigMac style, perhaps it would work. Generally I'm against passive cooling, as it's never true passive. "you need hella huge fan at rear of case that moves 2000CFM, to run this passive cooler - see? no noise" - pathetic

__The_OC__ said:
...anyways its half the price of xp-120...

Ok xp-120 is $56 on crazypc.com after Shipping according to pricewatch.
You're saying TT is going to sell that thing for $28? That's the price of a volcano 12. I'm sorry but somehow I don't quite see that. Where did you hear this? If you're right though, that's not a bad price. :p:thup:

i was talking about the silent tower that i bought for $30... i cant imagine this being sold for more than £35
but deffinatelly after reading a few reactions here on ocforums and a couple reviews, Freezer is the absolute winner in heatsinks...

__The_OC__ said:
Why you guys so negative about it? i have built a system for my friend with thermaltake silent tower and although its not exactly silent it keeps the a64 2800+ at 48c 100% load running @ 2,4GHz

Also about this sonic thing... what if you try to stick the fan between the 2 rows of towers? it will utilize the airflow better and that way getting better results... when it becomes available i ll deffinatelly give it a try... anyways its half the price of xp-120...

putting the fan between the towers will only interupt airflow into and out of the fan making it way less efficient. also TT products are crap. I build systems on weekly basis as a second job and EVERY product of theirs I have tried or tested left me feeling let down. This dates back to the volcano 6+ . Last product of theirs I tried was the POLO 735 for amd64. SUCKED. Temps at stock speed of 2.2 ghz = 52 celcius under full load with fan screaming on high. Promptly replaced it with AC Freezer costing $32 to the POLO's $37.50 . Ac Freezer is dead silent and gives me 8 degree celcius temp difference for the better. TT Volcano 7+ snapped a cpu socket off my old system bc of its weight. Numerous fans have died and their quality control isnt the greatest either (bent fins on hs, warped mating surfaces, dead thermal paste) which caused me to stop offering them as an option to my customers. And no matter how huge or heavy TT heatsinks seem to get , none of them seem to do even an avaerage job at cooling compared to their peers. As for this monstrocity: looks to be about the same size and height as the stock hsf for a prescott cpu (jk obviously)

fanless heatsinks are a little silly even for those seeking silence.

since you can attach a fan at 800 or 1000 RPM to the HS and get virtually the same noise level (that is, practically none.)

Its sad that TT has turned to gimicks instead of actually doing some R&D to make a good quality heatsink like thermalright. :(

TT should make that thing totally out of copper so they can guarantee it will rip the socket straight out of any motherboard. :)

Back