• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes because a poor quality PSU cannot provide the power needed by the processor to stabilize (sp?). Having a good quality PSU is better for overclocking, cause it can provide a higher, more steady power than a poor PSU. Overclocking looooooves high currents.

Fold on.

i second this.

cheap psu= dirty power (it jumps up and down way to mutch ( the volts and watts)
good psu= a nice clean power currnet and it will jump less so the sytem will be more stable

The thing is why would you want to trust all your expensive equipment on a psu that could destroy it all because you were stingy. You need a strong foundation if you want to build something on it and a weak or inferior psu is asking for trouble

Last edited:
Ya, you need a good PSU. My girlfriend can't overclock her system at all because of this :( A good PSU is the first thing you should get if you're planning to overclock.

wizard, its not about watts its about a good quality psu like antec, Enermax, Fortron/Sparkle. A 600 Watt generic PSU will be horrible when compared to a 300 watt psu made by the above manufacturer.

But anyways, a good psu will help your overclock stability and your overclock in general.

yea but a 250 watt noname.. its not good.. maybe thats why when ever i try to add one more fan it wont start lol.

but whats in all the best brand of psus.

If you're interested in a comparison between top quality psu's and no-name psu's, check out this pdf document at pc power & cooling's site here [http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com]. They compare the internals of the pcp&c turbo-cool 510 deluxe and a generic psu, but I think the same comparison can go for any top quality psu versus a generic psu.

Back