• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiGhTBoY

Yes because a poor quality PSU cannot provide the power needed by the processor to stabilize (sp?). Having a good quality PSU is better for overclocking, cause it can provide a higher, more steady power than a poor PSU. Overclocking looooooves high currents.

Fold on.

syberspy9

i second this.

cheap psu= dirty power (it jumps up and down way to mutch ( the volts and watts)
good psu= a nice clean power currnet and it will jump less so the sytem will be more stable

sleepyzman

The thing is why would you want to trust all your expensive equipment on a psu that could destroy it all because you were stingy. You need a strong foundation if you want to build something on it and a weak or inferior psu is asking for trouble

Last edited:

OLMI

Ya, you need a good PSU. My girlfriend can't overclock her system at all because of this :( A good PSU is the first thing you should get if you're planning to overclock.

qualhiveldorf

wizard, its not about watts its about a good quality psu like antec, Enermax, Fortron/Sparkle. A 600 Watt generic PSU will be horrible when compared to a 300 watt psu made by the above manufacturer.

But anyways, a good psu will help your overclock stability and your overclock in general.

wizard james

yea but a 250 watt noname.. its not good.. maybe thats why when ever i try to add one more fan it wont start lol.

but whats in all the best brand of psus.

webfreak

If you're interested in a comparison between top quality psu's and no-name psu's, check out this pdf document at pc power & cooling's site here [http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com]. They compare the internals of the pcp&c turbo-cool 510 deluxe and a generic psu, but I think the same comparison can go for any top quality psu versus a generic psu.