• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluenotebacker

Looking for a good starter for a new machine: Not a lot of money to spend right now, $300 or less. what do you think of this-

Bare Bones Assembled - AMD Duron™ 1GHz (200FSB). Assembled & Tested.
Price for PHONE ORDER MUST MENTION PRICE WATCH - 2USB, AMD Duron™ 1GHz, 64Mb Video, 3D Sound, ATX MidTower 300Watt PS. 1Yr Warranty.

$94

or this one, also from Pricewatch.com-

Bare Bones Assembled - AMD Athlon Tbird 950MHz 200 FSB and CoolerMaster HS Fan, assembled & Tested.
MUST MENTION PRICE WATCH - ECS VZM.1 MB w/ VIA KT133, 200FSB, 2 PCI, 4X AGP, AMR, AC97, sound, TRK81 10/100 LAN, micro ATX case UL/CE 300W PS

$97

Any other advice you might have would be great. I'm wanting to improve on my Dell Dimension XPS D300 w/300 MHz P2 & 16 MB Voodoo card. I'd love to be able to reuse the case I have to save the money but will do whatever it takes, as long as it's under $300 :) I figure I'll keep my existing drives for now and upgrade those later. I would also like to be able to reuse the SDRAm I already have (a 128MB & a 32MB)

Last edited:

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
what mobo is used and what are the specs of it? also what is the vid card?? lastly what kind/amount of ram comes with that??

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
bluenotebacker said:
Looking for a good starter for a new machine: Not a lot of money to spend right now, $300 or less. what do you think of this-

Bare Bones Assembled - AMD Duron™ 1GHz (200FSB). Assembled & Tested.
Price for PHONE ORDER MUST MENTION PRICE WATCH - 2USB, AMD Duron™ 1GHz, 64Mb Video, 3D Sound, ATX MidTower 300Watt PS. 1Yr Warranty.

$94

or this one, also from Pricewatch.com-

Bare Bones Assembled - AMD Athlon Tbird 950MHz 200 FSB and CoolerMaster HS Fan, assembled & Tested.
MUST MENTION PRICE WATCH - ECS VZM.1 MB w/ VIA KT133, 200FSB, 2 PCI, 4X AGP, AMR, AC97, sound, TRK81 10/100 LAN, micro ATX case UL/CE 300W PS

$97

Any other advice you might have would be great. I'm wanting to improve on my Dell Dimension XPS D300 w/300 MHz P2 & 16 MB Voodoo card. I'd love to be able to reuse the case I have to save the money but will do whatever it takes, as long as it's under $300 :) I figure I'll keep my existing drives for now and upgrade those later. I would also like to be able to reuse the SDRAm I already have (a 128MB & a 32MB)

ahh, so you want to upgrade then sure you can use the case over again. That will a lot cheaper then.

checkout the combos over at www.bzboyz.com

Last edited:
OP
bluenotebacker

bluenotebacker

My only concern is that the Dell case is too small (internal space) to accomodate the proper cooling system for a faster CPU (assuming I can go 900 MHz+ for the money I'm looking to spend.) I'm so new to all this it's frustrating. All I know for sure is that what I currently have ain't cuttin' it!

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
I think they might be ok combos, but you won't have many overclocking options. DFI makes decent mobo's....with some overclocking settings...their boards usually run about $70-$80.