• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie just want to compare temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leb_crx

Registered
Hi, I am new...

I just been reading up on overclocking, and it definitivally interests me, but I have a few questions to ask to see where I currently stand and get some more infomation before doing anything that could ruin my chip

this is what my current setup is:
AMD XP 1600+, K7S5A ECS motherboard (I know it's bad for overclockin, but it has to do for now), and I got a thermaltake volcano 4 CPU fan, no case fan, runnin a 350W power supply (of course that has a fan)

now I just want to see where I stand temperature wise, if I am doing good, descent, or bad.

my temperature right now is
43 celcius processor, 31 celcius for my system...and I got this reading from the BIOS, I haven't hooked up any other temperature sensors ( I don't know if I should, is the MB temperature sensors that bad). keep in mind though that this is with the side of the casing open, I haven't yet closed the cased and got a reading that way ( will do that soon when I actually find the side casing :D )

also one more thing, is there a temperature one would associate generally with CPU's...like a range? basically what I mean that if a cpu is between 20-40 it's good, 40-60 is bad...etc...just a general figure that would go with most CPU's....any help would be appriciated

flame me if you must, but I am as newbie as they come :eek:

|eb_CRX

Welcome to the forums.
First there is a good faq on your board in the ECS , AMD motherboard section of the forums. There is also a mention of another site about your board on the front page. You should definetly checvk them both out. As to temperatures you generally want to stay under 45 at full load. Meaning running F@H, SETI, Prime95, ect....
as for monitoring temps Motherboard Monitor 5 is a good program.
I believe to overclock that board you are going to need the overclocking bios, But I would try to get your temps down first. Good luck and try to post in the right forum.

u gotta b kiddin
43 deg ie excellent.
you wont have problems until 60 deg on a stable system
mebe over 50 at max overclock might crash, come on, these things dont have to run totally dead cold to work!!

well, i run at 43 deg with 80%load 18 deg C ambient temp (room temperaTURE)with a volcano 6cu cpu cooler and a fresh air intake right above the cpu, and a blowhole out the top of case, which convects heat which rises out the top. just cut a couple of holes in case with drill and tin snips!
but that is 1700+ OCed to 1666 mhz, and as long as i stay below 53 deg i dont get any lockups.
also that is at 1.9 volt vcore!

at a live show recirding sound where it gets pretty hot, got up to 50 deg, perfectly stable. but this was at 90 deg f, hot humid ambient temperature, not home 75 deg f. when it gets above 100 deg f in the room i do clock FSB back to standard (100mhz on my asus a7v 1.02) and there it runs 1700+ at 1600 mhz up to 60 deg C absolutely stable.

i find the temps dont go up much for overclocking, mainly voltage increase heats up cpu. without the case blowhole leave the side panel off and temps will be mabe 8 deg C cooler. with blowhole (fan blowing out TOP of case) case temps are same with cover on.

i thing everyone should put the computer in a closet with vga, keyboard and mouse extenders. these things kill your sensiutivity to high frequencies, especially inner sound, if your psychic...

His 43 is at idle temps for one. For two I said to GENERALLY try for under 45 at full load. Thirdly he is not using a volcano 6. And he has no case fan. So I suggested to look into better cooling which includes case cooling.

Back