• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newcastle 2.2Ghz or Claw 2.0Ghz 1Mb for Folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ri0

Which do you think would be the most productive/best for folding? The added 200Mhz from the Newcastle or the extra cache on the Claw?

I'm going to buy one this week or next and need to decide.

folding could care less how much cache you have, but it certainly loves MHZ :D

i'd say get the newcastle, not only for the faster default clock for folding, but the newcastles are looking to be the better overclocker of the two cores. Silver has his newcastle 3000+ at 2.75ghz on plain water cooling :eek:

That is what I was thinking. The 3000 is priced the best right now. It is giong into a SFF, so there won't be much OCing.

Ri0 said:
That is what I was thinking. The 3000 is priced the best right now. It is giong into a SFF, so there won't be much OCing.
oh. well if not much ocing i'd go with the 3000. it should easily hit 2.2ghz even in a SFF. the newcastles run a tad cooler due to the lower cache on die.

I plan on getting a Clawhammer for my DAW I am building that will also be folding. This will be the first rig I have built where silence is more important than the OC. :eek: I hope to still OC a little bit but I gotta find a silent heatsink first. How's the stocker? Still the same as the AMD XP series?

Maxvla said:
oh. well if not much ocing i'd go with the 3000. it should easily hit 2.2ghz even in a SFF. the newcastles run a tad cooler due to the lower cache on die.

Thanks for the input Max. Seems like the best route to go, least expensive as well. :)

Either I have gone totally insane or my post in this thread completely disapeared. Darn...I feel sad...that was a nice big informative post...oh well..I MIGHT give it another shot tommarow.

Back