• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg shoot themselves in the foot.. again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This kills me when people complain about change, you don't like it then don't look at it! It reminds me of my parents when I upgraded them from XP to Vista to Windows 7. They bitched about every single aspect of the upgrade, it's called change man, you don't like tough crap! Stop your whining and choose your battles for crying out loud! This is where you want to take a stand, on a website layout change??

Perhaps energy is best used elsewhere, but I think as a community we do expend our energy on a great deal of _GOOD_ causes. think about it this way:

We buy hardware on newegg...
A lot of use that hardware to fold/crunch.

If the process becomes harder and more "idiot catering", then the whole process suffers. A change that is positive is generally embraced by this community.

I also don't complain about things that don't affect me, I wasn't hurt in the slightest by nVidia's intent to ruin the use of a nvidia gpu for physx in conjuction with an ati card, but then again, I still thought it was a foul move that made it harder to support such a company.

We fight about things we care about, don't we? If you feel the energy is used in the wrong place, then you should use yours in the "right" place... and arguing about whether we should argue seems just as silly a cause, doesn't it?

:chair:

I believe the "See in cart" was added because they can't legally display prices below what the manufacturer sets (via contract or whatever). I believe this was because of nVidia, if I remember correctly. They may have expanded this into other areas and I agree that it is very annoying.

It is mainly to prevent automated indexes of their page becoming available with the price. Not sure why you wouldn't want that, but this is coming from the same people that did this horrible layout.
I think you may be right about contractial obligations and it's probably the only reason they do it. Maybe they get some kind of price break from the manufacturers for doing that as well. :shrug:

Many sites also have that "guaranteed price" gimick, which usually only applies to advertised prices. The "See in cart" option isn't technically "advertised" so those issues are avoided. The games salesmen play ... :screwy:

newegg is trying the new layout on random pages for a few months. they sent me an email about it. All you have to do to get the old layout again is backspace a certain part of the URL.

The thing that REALLY gets me, is how they implemented the "see price in cart"
I cant understand WHY they would do this. It is VERY irritating and I have written them several times about it.

Please for the sake of all that is good and holy tell me where to backspace!

I just wanted to say that I don't see anything better about the new layout, seriously. I tried really hard to think about what information is now easier to see quickly, more convenient to find, or more useful if it wasn't present before. I couldn't come up with a single example after actually looking at various product pages. The default when first looking at a product page is a bunch of marketing crap from the manufacturer even!, and that stuff wasn't present at all before afaik and certainly wasn't forced upon you as the initial product page to the exclusion of other info which might actually be useful. I really want someone to give one specific example of how this layout improves the product browsing experience. (Using it on a mobile device doesn't count, Newegg can create a mobile site layout if they want to.)

Bump for great justice...not that I expect any because if I didn't know any better I'd swear the company's top executives' children are running the web design department.

Please for the sake of all that is good and holy tell me where to backspace!

I really want someone to give one specific example of how this layout improves the product browsing experience. (Using it on a mobile device doesn't count, Newegg can create a mobile site layout if they want to.)
I don't think the backspace thing works anymore - it's all the new layout as far as I can tell.

I'll give you two examples: Case sizes are now listed under details and most of the pertinent motherboard details are listed.

When someone asks about a heatsink they give us the case they're using and sometimes a Newegg link. Being able to quickly find the case width (so you can see if a 120mm tower sink will fit) is a real time-saver.

I use motherboard stats less often but I can see where the added details could really help someone shopping for one - especially if they have certain requirements for USB or SATA ports ...

Not showing the sale price for legal reasons has been around for decades. Has nothing to do with nVidia per se, although perhpas they were the first to cause a fuss over it.

It certainly has nothing to do with lower than MSRP because most websites advertise lower than MSRP pricing.

I don't think the backspace thing works anymore - it's all the new layout as far as I can tell.

I'll give you two examples: Case sizes are now listed under details and most of the pertinent motherboard details are listed.

When someone asks about a heatsink they give us the case they're using and sometimes a Newegg link. Being able to quickly find the case width (so you can see if a 120mm tower sink will fit) is a real time-saver.

I use motherboard stats less often but I can see where the added details could really help someone shopping for one - especially if they have certain requirements for USB or SATA ports ...

I believe you're wrong if you think any of that is new or additional info. It is the same information as one of the tabs that used to be over on the right (maybe it was called 'product specs' or 'details'? - I can't remember) except now since the layout of those details is spaced out more and it's further down on the page I have to scroll to see as much info as I could before even on a 1200 pixel vertical monitor. Not much of a time saver.

I believe you're wrong if you think any of that is new or additional info. It is the same information as one of the tabs that used to be over on the right (maybe it was called 'product specs' or 'details'? - I can't remember) except now since the layout of those details is spaced out more and it's further down on the page I have to scroll to see as much info as I could before even on a 1200 pixel vertical monitor. Not much of a time saver.
I tried to "turn back the clock" so I could double check the previous page version but :shrug:

If what you say is true then they may have changed the layout so people as blind as I could find the information ... :p

Has anyone else noticed that 'Products Purchased' and 'Order History' do not match up? My Order History list all my invoices correctly, but Prods Purchased only goes back to May 2008. My first order was in May of 2003, which is shown in Order History. That is a 5 year discrepancy, small by no means...

I really hate the change personally....I was hoping it was like googles image change where I could download a greasemonkey script to fix it. Sadly nothing for newegg. Like my dad always said "If it ain't broke don't fix it". The new layout gives me headaches and its **** poor slow now vs a year+ ago. Newegg has officially sold out.

Not only that but about every tenth time I try to go to the site I find that it isn't available.

Back