• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7's 10.5 or 10 multi problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hm. i've read a hundred people saying 1/1 and enabled, yet i've made no attempt to realize what that means. someone wanna tell me where i can set that up, set it to 1/1, enable whatever it is, and why is good to do so? it took me3 hours to figure out why my sound wasnt working last night, turns out it was disabled in bios. so i'm not that fluent.
also you're all talking about 230+ FSB....i lose stability past 220, and i've got BH-5 at 2.9V...did i miss something?

1/1 refers to the ram running at the same speed as the fsb. for example: pc3500 runs at 466mhz. if you run your fsb at 1/1 and 200mhz, then your ram will run at 200mhz. if you were to run the same fsb at 5/4 then your ram would run at 160mhz. (ram x 5/4 = fsb). when you push your fsb higher than your ram is spec'd to then your ram will overclock.

when your have your fsb/ram set to 1/1, you will have much better performance scores than at any other setting. i forget exactly why but i believe it creates closer latiencies or something like that.

also when you overclock with 1/1, your fsb will be limited to how fast your memory can go. usually thats anywhere from 180-230. even though its possible to break 290 fsb with 3500 ram, the higher fsb will not outweigh the loss of slower running memory.

as a final note, 1/1 = 2/2 = 3/3 = 4/4 = 5/5 = 6/6 but some people have had better results with 5/5 and 6/6. i was able to post with a max of 247 fsb 3500 ram no mods at 6/6.

kthxbye
pat

oh i forgot to explain how to set that up. since you have the nf7-s v2, its in the first menu of the bios: softmenu3

in the menu you will see something similar to the following

cpu type: user select
fsb frequency: xxx
multiplier: xx.x
fsb/ddr ratio: x/x
agp frequency: xx

voltage adjustments: user select
cpu socket: x.xx
chipset: x.x
ddr: x.x
agp: x.x

thats all from memory so dont kill me if somethings out of order or spelled wrong... heh

to change the fsb/ddr ratio just adjust the part thats bolded above.

My advice, don't use any of the d10 modded bios, or atleast be extremely careful. I went from the d23 bios to the d10 modded in hopes of gaining stability, however, all it did was create many more problems :( Then just today, I tried to go back to the d23 bios, and then I lost the board... just liek that, nothing but updating the bios and I was using flashmenu!!!.... have to rma the ******* now... grrr....

YEAH MODESTO!!!!!!! I grew up there buddy. YGPM.

Back on topic...sucks about your BIOS flash. Sorry to hear that.

For anyone less experienced, the 1/1 ratio refers to your CPU and memory being set to the same speed. It's the same as 4/4, 3/3, 6/6, 5/5, etc. That and CPU interface enable/disable are located under the SoftMenu III section. CPU Interface controls some of the CPU/Memory/Northbridge timings, I believe. Having it enabled is kinda like tighting your memory timings.

As for losing stability past 220FSB - that could be a board limitation. Some boards don't like to go above that. Try setting your chipset voltage to 1.5v, and make sure your timings are at 2-2-2-11 (CAS-tRCD-RowPrecharge-tRAS)

ok my current overclock is...

cpu + board
11 x 220 fsb with 2400+mhz...

ram
2.5/3/3/7 @ 440mhz 6:6 ratio

cpu interface
- enabled...

thats the fastest settings i got so far...
fsb and my memory is lining up perfectly 220fsb and 440mhz and 6:6 ratio...

i wish i can crank it more but i need sp97 hsf or watercooler...

now im planning to do volt vdimm mod so i can set my cas to 2 ...

as for bios destroying your board, im sorry. i have never had any problems whatsoever using winflash. however, my friend who flashed his at the same time as mine corrupted his bios. i dont know why. he was lucky he came over so we could hotswap (which is really easy and has a very low risk).

emazy, thats still a nice oc. what kind of equipment are you using?

and careful with that vdimm mod. the resistor you have to sodder the potentiometer onto is very tiny. what you probably also will want to do is the vdd mod at the same time. its no use having more voltage go to your ram for more speed from them if you cant get stable. also, you will probably want to lap the heatsink and then maybe upgrade the cooler on it. a nice cooler is the vantec iceberg 4. its pretty much the same thing as the stock cooler except copper. you should also put something on the southbridge too - be it a low-profile heatsink or even the stock northbridge cooler. it will help.

heres a nice site for modding the nf7-s:
http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/content.php?content.15

have fun volting.

(oh yea if you vdd DONOT use the mosfet-looking voltage regulator to test for resistance as its been known to fry peoples boards just while testing)

pat

johan851 said:
YEAH MODESTO!!!!!!! I grew up there buddy. YGPM.

I grew up in that same area too! Ever hear of a small town called Ripon? That was a happenin' place:rolleyes:. But it couldn't compare to the Mo' and cruisin' McHenry.

The problem is that the barton has 166fsb. With the tbred b with fsb 133, you can use 10 and 10.5, but with the barton you cant.
You should make the l12 mod.

Blazko said:
The problem is that the barton has 166fsb. With the tbred b with fsb 133, you can use 10 and 10.5, but with the barton you cant.

Is this true? I really hope it is! I want my 10 and 10.5 multi back!!!!

georgelogy said:

I grew up in that same area too! Ever hear of a small town called Ripon? That was a happenin' place:rolleyes:. But it couldn't compare to the Mo' and cruisin' McHenry.

Yeah i grew up in Oakdale. Went home for a visit for the holiday season. That place has changed alot in the past 3.5 years. Ripon had more action then oakdale did.

Anyway i use d21 and cant get past 200 FSB i think it is my ram thou need to order some 3500 or maybe some 3700. Thinking about upgrading to a gig worth sometime soon anyways.

Slaughter

Ok was juss about to try the d10beta4 turbo bios but now I've decided not too. Can someone tell me where to get this D21 or D22 bios?

My problem (well seems to be to me) is that I can't seem to run this barton 2500 with cpu interface enabled at 200x11 with 1.75vcore. And I can't run prime95 for over two hours even at 1.75. And at stock it bombs in less then 5-10 sec. Currently usin bios 14 (stock)

Any suggestions welcome,

BalliN

stock speed? sounds like something is bad in your system. try changing out the ram and see if thats the problem. whatever isnt working well, send it back and get a replacement. with the bios, you can get them directly from abits site.(this is still for the nf7 right?)

sorry not stock speeds stock vcore 1.65 bombs in 5-10 sec. have to use 1.75 at 200x11 and it runs for about 2 hours but thats it. Oh and it was Equito's d21 or d22 and also don't know where I got bios 14 from :rolleyes: ment 10 stock yes this is a nf7-s v2.0

Sorry for the confusion

BalliN

Blazko said:

Not true. my tbred has no 10/10.5 multi's at fsb above 223. :D. Despite rumors to the contrary, this problem is not limited to one type of chip. It's been said that it's a problem with bartons, or even just the barton 2500. Well, i've experienced the same problem with 2 xp1700 tbreds, one with L12 mod, one without. And 1 2100 tbred no L12 mod. Either your board has the problem or it doesn't. Most seem to have it unfortunately.

J.

lol... wtf are all these people from stanislaus county doing in the same forum!? well, small world I guess.... Got my board replaced, everything is nice now - 218x11 @ 1.93 (check sig) perfectly stable, did 15 hrs. prime like a champ :)

As for the Multiplier problem, I believe it's just one of those limitations things and I don't think that Abit has much incentive to fix it - it'd probably take up too much time and would affect so few people (in the whole scheme of things I mean)... 10 or 10.5 would be nice though (higher fsb, lower multi = better performance)...

I've found that by enabling CPU Interface, my sandra bandwidth scores increased a massive 250 mb/sec - nice performance boost if I do say so myself!! However, you do lose stability :-/

Back