• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NForce 2 O/C question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoneyXP

Registered
From what I've read, some of the Nforce 2 boards will have FSB o/cing options up to 333 mhz, or 667 effective. If you lowered your multiplier way down, and raised the fsb to 333, then put in two sticks of PC2700, running in dual ddr mode; would you have the same memory bandwidth of Prescott at 667 FSB? Normally the bandwidth of the NF2 doesnt get fully used because the memory is running faster than the cpu's fsb, but in this case, it would be a perfect match. Or at least that's the way I see it... Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think thats really correct. I wouldn't imagine they would be a ble to make it stable at 333 mhz. I'd love to see myself proven wrong, but I think that the 333fsb refered to on some of the boards is support for the 333 fsb processors suchas the new 2600+. which uses the 333 system bus off of a 166 ddr bus. I'd love to see adjustments to that high but I doubt you'd get it stable.

nice point serraph. although i'm 90% sure most if not all motherboards at least the better branded ones will have pci lock. the chipset is capable of it its very rare you see a company not include a feature in their bios that is chipset supported and a value added item for the target consumer US.

Not sure I see the point of an agp lock without a pci lock. Hopefully the people designing this stuff share the same opinion ;)

I was almost sure that I read about the 333mhz (667) FSB. Did anyone else notice this, or am i out of my mind? And i thought there was some memory setting where you could set it to 50% or something. Once again, i could be wrong.

I am pretty sure there is a separate clock generator for memory on the nForce 2 boards. That way, if you take the Epox board and run a XP 2400 @ 333x6 (keeping the cpu at stock speed but performing much better due to the fsb being 2.5 times its stock :))and keep the ram at 200MHz (if it was PC3200). Another thing is that I thought the AGP bus was always double the PCI bus. So if you lock the AGP bus, the PCI has to be locked as well.

I figured that it does have a PCI lock, but I was just being a little skeptical. :) I just find it a little weird that even though reviewers have the board and have overclocked on it that they don't even mention a word about it, and I haven't even seen any insane FSB speeds.

Hopefully someone who has purchased an nforce2 board will post about it soon. <*fingers crossed*> PCI/AGP lock <*fingers crossed*>

I want Nforce sooooo bad. I must get one for christmas! Also, doesnt it auto-unlock the TBred's?

It doesn't "auto-unlock" the cpu, it just reads the tbred's 5th multiplier bit unlike some older motherboards, i.e kt333 and older. So, you get full multiplier control w/o having to close the 5th L3 bridge.

Back