• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No contract smartphone recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice choice Tim...Now you can learn about App drawers, Launchers, and choice! :beer:

If you want we can all chip in with must have "Free" Apps. Like the flashlight app for instance. Feel free to hit us up with newb questions....we are at your service!

Thanks Dave, I take you up on the offer! ;)

newb question #1 Flashlight app? Does it work?

newb Q#2: The remote app...really??? Anybody use that?

The plan is a choice on new activations (of a SIM card) only. When you're going through the activation process it's possible to chose it, just not before.
I was concerned about that too.

#1: Yup, tons of flashlight apps out there (just forces camera flash on).
#2: I believe that works in conjunction with Google TV.

-downloading the flashlight app "brighest flashlight"-free by GoldenShores technologies LLC.

Oh yea, it is bright! Interesting.

The remote app that I had heard about was for doing this. Google TV...I've got a late model 47" LG that has a lot of capability I haven't yet exploited. I'd be more proactive about moving away from satellite to internet TV viewing, but the best option for internet here(rural area) is the low quality DSL that we have. :rolleyes:

The plan is a choice on new activations (of a SIM card) only. When you're going through the activation process it's possible to chose it, just not before.
I was concerned about that too.

I suspected as much, and initially considered that a big 'turn-off'; however my view has evolved and now I think I'll just plunk down the 10 bucks for the SIM card, and get-on with the show. Heck, I dropped more than $10 per minute playing the slots at Vegas just a couple weeks ago, so it's all about perspective. ;)

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the LEDs used for flashes don't have enough heatsinking for full power operations for more than a few seconds.

Cricket uses Sprint towers, which means you'll be restricted to Wimax service depending on the area. Also you'd be restricted to CDMA phones (like Verizon) without LTE in most regions.

T-Mobile isn't fantastic, but at least you'll see HSPA+ service in most cities. They're also in the process of merging with MetroPCS so they'll be increasing coverage soon.

The Nexus 4 was probably the best move to go with off-contract. I've been considering ditching my Verizon line when it expires and grabbing one of those instead. I wouldn't even bother with custom ROM's on it, since you can install whatever apps you want without having to go through CM or anything. If you get bored of the stock launcher, check out Apex Launcher or Nova Launcher. The features on both are similar, and they offer a ton of options for skinning.

As eager as I am to activate this phone, it looks like if I terminate the contract for two my Verizon feature phones before the end(July 3, 2013), it will cost $55 per line, not much of a break, after 22 months of service.
Source: https://help.ting.com/entries/21195822-Mobile-service-early-termination-fees
Giving Verizon yet more money would be a tough pill to swallow, so it looks like I'll be waiting...impatiently. :rolleyes:

Other matters: I'm taking my wife's line along with me to whatever carrier I go to, just for ease of management. I don't know for sure, but we'll probably not be able to get her existing phone activated by another carrier, as it is Verizon branded. Regardless her phone will remain a simple feature phone, and be a no-contract phone. I got her contact list exported/imported as vcards, so all the addresses and voice mails we were concerned about have been downloaded and stored.

You could drop it to a voice only line and drop all features. I did that with my Verizon line. Technically I still have a contract with them until later this year, but it is $8 a month. My Nexus has already paid for itself.

You could drop it to a voice only line and drop all features. I did that with my Verizon line. Technically I still have a contract with them until later this year, but it is $8 a month. My Nexus has already paid for itself.

Actually, these phones have no text or data, just the 500 shared minutes(seescreenshot), which is no longer available. The "700 minutes talk" plan is the only option to change to, and would cost $10 more per month.

These ten years on this plan with Verizon have been comfortable, too comfortable it seems. I am committed to changing up my phone service, even if I have to wait-out the contract to the end.

Update

My Verizon contract finally ran out, so I took my first steps of freedom cautiously, having been on-contract for over 10 years, wasn't sure about the outside world. I ended up going with Consumer Cellular primarily because:

1. Free SIM card
2. clarity on adjusting service to needs
3. Customer Service helpful
4. Website straight forward, rather than laced with trickery.

CC helped me with phone service setup, but for internet access setup I actually got valuable help from android central:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/introductions/162174-data-settings-consumer-cellular.html

Edited

I shouldn't post late at night, noticed that I hadn't finished my thought...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back