• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No More PS3 Price Cut!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deception``

I'll let the facts speak for themselves:

GamesIndustry said:
SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.

Reeves was speaking at an E3 event to announce the introduction of a new PS3 bundle in Europe. When asked about possible criticisms over whether SCEE should have given consumers the option to pay a lower price, as SCEA has done, he replied, "Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game.

"All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July."

When asked to clarify if this will mean the end of the 60GB model, Reeves answered, "In America, yes."

Source

All they are trying to do is quickly get rid of the 60GB which is being discontinued. I guess Sony doesn't 'care' about consumers after all.

deception``

first dumping the 20GB cheaper model now snookering in a bunch of people with a 60GB fire sale only to give them an 80GB unit with NO PS2 HARDWARE support. We've said it once and we'll say it again.

Oni, can you lend a brotha a hand?
1-2-3 all together now:

SHAME ON YOU, SONY!!!!

wow...I guess if you ever wanted a PS3 now is the time to move...you get it for $100 less with the PS2 chipset....who cares about the HDD 60gb is plenty.

Of course the only game that really had me go wow I think I'd buy that...is the new Ratchet and Clank....it looks to have good style and some great effects....we don't really get action platformers anymore.

I guess this means Microsoft has no reason to drop the price of the 360 son-of-a-$1#@%

FudgeNuggets said:
[size=.5]first dumping the 20GB cheaper model now snookering in a bunch of people with a 60GB fire sale only to give them an 80GB unit with NO PS2 HARDWARE support. We've said it once and we'll say it again.[/size]

Oni, can you lend a brotha a hand?
1-2-3 all together now:
[size=.5]
SHAME ON YOU, SONY!!!!
[/size]

How did I know you'd say that :)

Meanwhile Bill Gates is personally torturing children in Malaysia (And I was wondering why I hadn't seen him around lately.)

Blueswitch makes a great point though. Now IS the time to buy.

One quick thing before I head to the show for the last day. I just wanted to clarify something. I’ve seen a lot of posts this morning related to the 60GB SKU and the comments by SCEE President David Reeves. As we announced this week, SCEA’s product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of consumers for the foreseeable future.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/

As for no hardware support, that's true but it does have software support just like the Xbox360, and I doubt you act all up in arms about it being sold with no hardware support.

tenchi86 said:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/

As for no hardware support, that's true but it does have software support just like the Xbox360, and I doubt you act all up in arms about it being sold with no hardware support.

No offense, but the above quote is in direct contrast to what Dan Reeves has said. One source says the 60GB model is being discontinued; the other claims stock for 'the forseeable future.' This is really a great way to turn off would-be buyers. Who should we believe here: Sony or Sony?

The 360 has always advertised software emulation, so there is no real shock here. The PS3 advertised backward compatibility for virtually all of their library, so it is a bit of a disappointment to see their BC so spotty. Couple that with the fact that the PS2 has a much larger library and it sticks out like a sore thumb to many.

deception``

deception`` said:
No offense, but the above quote is in direct contrast to what Dan Reeves has said. One source says the 60GB model is being discontinued; the other claims stock for 'the forseeable future.' This is really a great way to turn off would-be buyers. Who should we believe here: Sony or Sony?

The 360 has always advertised software emulation, so there is no real shock here. The PS3 advertised backward compatibility for virtually all of their library, so it is a bit of a disappointment to see their BC so spotty. Couple that with the fact that the PS2 has a much larger library and it sticks out like a sore thumb to many.

deception``

It's still not NEARLY as bad as Microsoft's BC. Not by a long shot. At least right now the games are 100% compatible. The 360 NEVER had that. And I really... REALLY want to play ESPN2K5 NFL on my 360. Oh well... at least I can play MVC2... until I sell my 360 that is.

At least it has wonderful resell value.

rainless said:
It's still not NEARLY as bad as Microsoft's BC. Not by a long shot. At least right now the games are 100% compatible. The 360 NEVER had that. And I really... REALLY want to play ESPN2K5 NFL on my 360. Oh well... at least I can play MVC2... until I sell my 360 that is.

At least it has wonderful resell value.

I'll be the first to admit that Microsoft's BC is pretty weak, but Sony really touted theirs as monumentally superior and that is not the case.

Also, the PS2 had the best line-up hands down last generation; there are many more strong PS2 BC games that people are missing out on than there are for the Xbox.

deception``

Deception`` the reason I posted it is because it is in contrast to the original post. I cannot say which one to believe, or even say that a foreseeable future to him does not mean a month. Just figured I would post the most current news on the situation.

deception`` said:
I'll be the first to admit that Microsoft's BC is pretty weak, but Sony really touted theirs as monumentally superior and that is not the case.

Also, the PS2 had the best line-up hands down last generation; there are many more strong PS2 BC games that people are missing out on than there are for the Xbox.

deception``

Yes it is. How is sony's backwards compatibility NOT monumentally superior to the 360's?

Hell... My Windows XP to 1980's DOS games backwards compatibility is monumentally superior to the 360's.

rainless said:
Yes it is. How is sony's backwards compatibility NOT monumentally superior to the 360's?

Hell... My Windows XP to 1980's DOS games backwards compatibility is monumentally superior to the 360's.

People expected the PS3-to-PS2 compatibility to be similar to the PS2-to-PS1, which in my opinion was stellar.

Again, I'm not saying that PS3 BC is terrible but has not met the expectations of many.

Take a look at Sony's BC list. Many of the PS2's blockbusters are either missing or have notable compatibility issues. You'll also find that some titles are listed multiple times in different formats [such as PAL or NTSC]. Most of the original Xbox's big titles (of which there were FAR fewer) are currently available on the 360.

deception``

deception`` said:
People expected the PS3-to-PS2 compatibility to be similar to the PS2-to-PS1, which in my opinion was stellar.

Again, I'm not saying that PS3 BC is terrible but has not met the expectations of many.

Take a look at Sony's BC list. Many of the PS2's blockbusters are either missing or have notable compatibility issues. You'll also find that some titles are listed multiple times in different formats [such as PAL or NTSC]. Most of the original Xbox's big titles (of which there were FAR fewer) are currently available on the 360.

deception``

You want to give me a couple of examples?

Cuz, last time I checked, PS3 backwards compatibility was over 90% and Xbox backwards compatibility was under 20%.

And GTA San Andreas, God of War I, God of War 2, Final Fantasy XII and every other "big title" I could personally think of was present and accounted for.

And you JUST SAID that Sony's BC was not "monumentally superior" to the 360s. Again: How... do you... justify... that... statement?

Wow, it appears that Sony is digging themselves into a deeper hole. I mean, the problem with the PS3 is NOT the HDD capacity; it's the price tag. I'm not sure how much more clear it could be.

It wouldn't be so bad if it had always had software backwards compatibility but this new habit of Sony dangling a carrot from a fishing rod then only to yank it away has got to stop, first the 20GB model, then the price drop and 60GB model and now the Emotion CPU.

FudgeNuggets said:
It wouldn't be so bad if it had always had software backwards compatibility but this new habit of Sony dangling a carrot from a fishing rod then only to yank it away has got to stop, first the 20GB model, then the price drop and 60GB model and now the Emotion CPU.

Still doesn't matter if the software backwards compatibility is still good.

THAT SAID I'll try to pick up a PS3 while it still has the Emotion. ;)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
rain, do the Gran Turismo games work?

Gran Turismo? Never heard of it. Some fancy Italian desert or something? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
FudgeNuggets said:

Agreed. But, I certainly can't exactly say I feel sorry for Sony. They truly are digging their own grave with each new announcement. Bundling a game with a system is ok, but I can't think of one person that wouldn't rather have no game and pay $50 less for the system. On a side note, however, Motorstorm is guaranteed to be like $10 used in Game stop in less than 90 days. I'm looking forward to that, as I haven't bought it yet and I want to, but I just don't think too many games are worth $60.

rainless said:
You want to give me a couple of examples?

I'll give it a shot. Here is a list of games that I have either (a) experienced issues with or (b) have heard of others experiencing issues with. I'll try to limit these to games that were considered pretty popular. If anyone believes that these problems have been fixed [as I don't own a PS3 myself yet] please feel free to chime in:

Devil May Cry 1
Ratchet and Clank
Jak 3
Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear Solid 3
Twisted Metal: Black
GTA Vice City
Onimusha 3
Killzone
God of War 1 [I think this has been fixed by now]
Scarface: The World is Yours

Side Note: I'll also add that the 360 BC is pretty abysmal, but it is not attacked as much since the 360 itself has had a pretty healthy slate of titles for the past year or so. People really made a huge fuss about it's poor BC back when the 360 was nothing more than a next-gen console with a handful of launch titles.

deception``

deception`` said:
I'll give it a shot. Here is a list of games that I have either (a) experienced issues with or (b) have heard of others experiencing issues with. I'll try to limit these to games that were considered pretty popular. If anyone believes that these problems have been fixed [as I don't own a PS3 myself yet] please feel free to chime in:

Devil May Cry 1
Ratchet and Clank
Jak 3
Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear Solid 3
Twisted Metal: Black
GTA Vice City
Onimusha 3
Killzone
God of War 1 [I think this has been fixed by now]
Scarface: The World is Yours

Side Note: I'll also add that the 360 BC is pretty abysmal, but it is not attacked as much since the 360 itself has had a pretty healthy slate of titles for the past year or so. People really made a huge fuss about it's poor BC back when the 360 was nothing more than a next-gen console with a handful of launch titles.

deception``

God of War is playable now and Killzone was barely playable on the real PS2. They'll have to eventually re-release the original Killzone. Maybe put it on the same disc with Killzone 2.

My point was that the PS3s BC is not only "monumentally better" than the 360s, but that it's "astonishing" in comparison to the 360s.

But, of course, this isn't saying much. The Xbox 360 BC is the most dismal, half-assed afterthought ever incompleted in modern gaming (with the possible exception of Duke Nukem Forever.)

Back