• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Overclocking Question - A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

confues2xover

Registered
I have an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard that I am trying to figure out how to overclock pretty much everything :p

I have read so much on overclocking, searched for others successful settings etc and I am still confused. I am not a noob when it comes to computers, but this overclocking thing has me totally confused.

I read things about multipliers, core voltages etc and when I go into the BIOS I cannot seem to figure out where and what to set. I was able to overclock my video cards via the nVidia control panel after using nVidiaTweak, that was easy, a couple sliders, test, and I was good to go.

Now I want to push my CPU, PCI-e, and Memory a bit futher adn know that the hardware I have is capable of it, I just do not understand what to do.

Does anyone know how to overclock on a A8N32-SLI Deluxe board? If so, what and where do I go in BIOS to get started? What areas should I work with and adjust till I find the "Sweet spot"?

I have the AMD Athlon Manchester Dual Core 4200+ 2.2Ghz and I have read everywhere that it can easily handle being pushed to 2.8 - 3.0 w/air cooling.

How?

Here is what I am working with in terms of hardware:
Antec P108B Triple Insulated Mid-Tower Case w/air Filters & 5 x 120mm case fans
HIGH POWER 560w NVIDIA SLI Certified supply Active PFC (3 x 12v Rails & Modular cabling)
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Dual Core 2.2Ghz Manchester CPU
Zalman CNPS7700 120MM Pure Copper CPU cooler & Fan
4 x Patriot 1GB Low Latency 2-3-2-5 at PC3200 400MHz (4GB Total)
1 x 74GB Western Digital Raptor SATA II 10,000 RPM HD (Main)
1 x 250GB Western Digital 7,200 RPM IDE HD
1 x Maxtor 55GB IDE 7,200 RPM HD
1 x 120GB Acom External USB 7,200 HD
1 x USB2.0+eSATA External + Seagate 500GB 7200RPM 16MB HDD
1 x DVD/CDROM Read/Write Drive
1 x DVD/CDROM Drive
2 x BFG Nvidia 7900 GT OC 256MB Video Cards in SLI Mode
Zalman VF900-CU GPU Copper Heat Sinks/Fans
Audigy ZS Sound Card
Logitech G7 Cordless Gaming Mouse
Cyber Snipa Metal Gaming Mouse Pad
Gateway Standard Keyboard
21" Gateway HD Widescreen Monitor 4ms Response time - 1680x1050 Res
Logitech Z-5300e 280W THX Certified 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

confues2xover said:
I have an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard that I am trying to figure out how to overclock pretty much everything :p
Here's how to get to the BIOS settings you'll need.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=468038

You will note that a few of the settings are hidden until you set stuff to MANUAL.

Update to the latest BIOS, Chipset and Graphics drivers first.

Disable all automatic overclocking features, including PEG Link Mode and Cool&Quiet.
Disable Legacy USB Support.
Remove the protective plastic film from the tops of the heatsinks on the heat ppe.
Set Overvolt CPU to ENABLE, subtract 0.2 volts from the Vcore you want and set that lower valve for Vcore. (Overvolt adds approximately 0.2 v to Vcore)
Use something to monitor CPU temps and volts (like PCProbeII) any time you change Vcore or Vdimm.

If you havn't already, download:
CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
A64Info
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96678
Blue's memory calculator
http://www.gurushane.com/site/software.aspx
Memtest-86
http://www.memtest86.com/
Superpi
http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/

There are many excellent guides available, pick one you like and follow it to get started.

Use a pencil and paper to keep track of what you are doing and the result.

Yah.. make sure to test/record AAALLL!!! your settings.. sry.. I just had to stress the ALL part. Always benchtest.. There are many benchtesting/marking sw out there. do your homework. I don't have any links, cuz I need to go to school soon. Check out the sticky on benching. Also, once you've benched the hell out of everything, and tweaked here and there to make sure EVERYTHING is working properly... jot it all down. Then, you might wanna consider OC'ing your Vid card through the cards bios using a bios editor like Nibitor and flashing the card with that edited bios. I even have mine set to display the old clock vs new clock when the nvidia boot screen shows up. It's also good cuz the clock doesn't jump when the OS kicks in. I don't like sw oc.

Wow thanks for the links and direction. Now all I have to do is decipher what is what and how to use it all :bang head

Does anyone have a successful configuration that was stable that they could post to give me a basic set point I can work with? :confused:

I would not recommend simply plugging in someone elses numbers. Each CPU, mobo and RAM is different. You absolutely have to understand the fundamentals before you start overclocking. Here is a Basic Overclocking Guide for A8N Motherboards, http://asustech.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=622
It is a starter guide but is very good at defining and explaining the basics.

confues2xover said:
Does anyone have a successful configuration that was stable that they could post to give me a basic set point I can work with? :confused:
I second what Marc14 said.
You don't know what will work until you try it.

If it was as easy as plugging numbers into a BIOS, the MOBO manufacturers would all be publishing the numbers. Overclocking is pushing your MOBO, CPU and memory way past their design specifications. No one knows how far past the spec any one piece will run, much less how fast a combination of overclocked parts will go.

"He who tries the most, goes the fastest."

Oh, and the pencil and paper thing, you won't get where you want to go (or can go) without it.

I'll add to what BillB said (paper and pencil) with a calculator. You have to watch all those dividers and multipliers frequenciesnd a calcuator helps figure that out. Write down everything and keep it. I record FSB, Vcore, HT multi, DDR volts and timings and the temps for the CPU, mobo/chipset, and ambient air. Write down any weird things you see. Once I start a stress test i record the Vcore reported at that time ( a poor PSU or overhated Voltage regulators will show up as a decaying Vcore) CPU temp, Mobo/chipset temps and the ambient air temp. Overclocking is all about drudgery mate. You have to test all the differet tings as you go along. Lots of restarts and CMOS resets but a solid overclock is worth the pain.

I want to thank you all for the excellent direction and advice. I have read many of the boards, sites, etc, and find that the one thing that appears to elude me is the "Get your calculator out".

I see how X CPU voltage times X Mhz = CPU speed. Cool, we got speed.

I understand the fact that FSB (or CPU Freq in my board w/AMD 939 chips) are the basic fundamental settings and all other settings are derived or centered around this.

Increasing CPU voltages expand the rise and fall of the current, allowing it to run better when upping the Mhz side of the equation.

Working with memory timings and other thigs as well are what I need to also focus on and that everything is a nice balancing act.

Ok this is all well and good.

I think I have enough of the basic idea to be dangerous.

What I am looking for is:

What are the mathmatical formulas I need and how does one result factor in the next equation?

Basically meaning, is there a set pattern that should be observed and worked with.

• A X B = C (i.e. CPU Voltage X Mhz = X Ghz)
  • Take C and multiply/Divide by D, this gives you E
  • With E you can do Z

I hope that made sense, but I was just wondering if there was a set grouping of calculations that relates to each other and what to work with in what sequence to increase/decrease. I mean I do understand now (ty for all the direction) on how things work with each other and increasing this does this, etc, but I know everything has a related calculation and is based off each other. This is what I am looking for, the basic nuts and bolts mathmatical equations that needs to be used.

Sounds like you read tyhe basic guide I made up. Great, you have the basics. Now, tap into these guys for the advanced degree.

Merc14 said:
Sounds like you read the basic guide I made up.

OMG Merc, great article man! I cannot tell you how many times I have read, re-read, and re-read that article. I do have the basic ideas that you pointed out, without that article I probably would still be confused way more then I am now. Many kudos to you and thank you for taking the time to jot all that down for "the rest of us".

Now on to the real questions :bang head

Is there a formula for overclocking? Or a set of formulas a persons uses to determine what each setting should be and the steps one can take?

Basically to reiterate.........

A X B = C, well once I have C, can I use C to determine D? If so, does D have a relation to A, B, or C? and should the match check out between them all? If so, how?

As I stated above, we have (as Merc so wonderfully wrote)
Cpu Voltage X Mhz = Clock Speed
A X B = C

Now what?

Is there something I can multiply/divide Clock Speed (C) with that will help in determining D (Being whatever else I am missing like FSB/CPU Freq), and so on.

This is where I get lost. Thanks for the help again in advance.

Thanks much for the compliments. I am glad it helped. It is just a basic primer though so go forth and ask questions. As for any formula....well...I don't know of any. The problem is every chip is different as is every RAM module and to a lesser degree every mobo. That is why guys look for BIN numbers on the same CPU, week 13 is great, 14 sucks and 15 is OK. That said, now that you have the basics, you can ask questions of the real pros here (I am not one of them BTW LOL, I learn something everyday here) and understand what they are telling you. Have fun, learn the advanced stuff and get that chip clocked up.

Thanks Merc. I think I have the hardware and cooling to handle this boost and feel as if I have the keys to a race car, but still am puttering around in a Volvo right now. The system is nice, has a lot of high end parts, fast, but the performance is not what it could be or what it is capable of. I want to make it scream, so thanks again, I will read on a bit b4 trying to adjust.

I did OC the video card, now that was successful. Running a 3DMARK06 Professional I got a score of 7778, w/just the video card OC'd a bit. Now I would be interested to see how much more it can go when I start messing with the rest. I am sure that number can increase once I start adjusting the speeds between the PCIe and the mem/cpu, still just trying to sort all of that out. I think I would like to get into the high 8's or low 9's on the score. With the hardware I am running I would like to think it is possible, but we will see.

Thanks again for all of your help.

OK, I have one question before I dig in and see if I can do this w/o having to go and replace hardware due to an "Opps" - lol

Where exactly do I need to go in the BIOS on the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe?
What settings/names should I concentrate on?

I see a lot of references to this and that like set to x2,x4,x5, and so on, but I am still lost as to the exact places/settings I need to mess with to get where I want to go and what my BIOS says it is versus everything I read.

I have yet to see where this HT or HTT thingy is or some of the others I read about.

I.E. To work with my FSB, I would go here:
Advanced > Jumper Free Configuration > AI Overclocking (Choose [Manual]) > CPU FSB Frequency.
This is currently at 200. I assume to increase my FSB this is where I would go.

So how do I get to the other places/settings I need to focus on?
What are they in a simple "Here is where you go for this settting" path location direction?

:welcome: to the site!

confues2xover said:
I have yet to see where this HT or HTT thingy is or some of the others I read about.
To quote the above thread:

"AI Overclocking: When set to [Manual] the CPU FSB Frequency (front side bus) setting becomes available. CPU-Z shows this as HTT and it is sometimes called the reference clock or "clock"."

The problem is a lot of people get this confused with the HT bus, which is entirely different. The HT bus multiplier is found under "Chipset Settings/K8 to NB Frequency" and along with the FSB Frequency, determines how fast the HT bus is running. The stock speed for the HT bus is 1000 MHz and you shouldn't go over that until you have everything else worked out. Set it at 3x until you have thoroughly tested your CPU and RAM.

confues2xover said:
I.E. To work with my FSB, I would go here:
Advanced > Jumper Free Configuration > AI Overclocking (Choose [Manual]) > CPU FSB Frequency.
This is currently at 200. I assume to increase my FSB this is where I would go.
Correct! :)
confues2xover said:
So how do I get to the other places/settings I need to focus on?
What are they in a simple "Here is where you go for this settting" path location direction?
Read through the thread Merc14 referenced again - everything for the modest OC'er is listed there. If you have specific questions we might be able to help but every CPU and RAM is different so it's next to impossible to tell you what settings you need to use. I can tell you your RAM probably won't OC much - it's hard to get 4 sticks of any RAM to run fast.

You also might try reading through this thread to help you through the OC routine - I was up and running a 10% OC w/in a day by following the step-by-step in the first post:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

Last edited:
QuietIce said:
: I can tell you your RAM probably won't OC much - it's hard to get 4 sticks of any RAM to run fast.

My BIOS registers 4GB, CPU-z says I have 4GB, Windows says I have 2098MB, and 3DMark06 shows 2098MB. This whole 4GB versus 2GB thing has me confused anyway because most things do not see or does not show all 4GB.

I have been told that they will not show it but will use it, still not sure if I believe that either.

This is something I have yet to understand. I have always been under the impression that more RAM the better. This is why I stacked 4GB in here. I also have been under the impression that LL RAM was the way to go for faster performance. So I shoved 4 sticks of 2-3-2-5 Patriot RAM in here hoping to get much better response from my system.

Would I get better performance or have a better chance at getting more speed if I took a stick or two out?

btw, I was able to push the cpu to 2587Mhz and a FSB over 800, ran Prime95 solid, 3DMark06 Prof and got a score of only 8142. Still trying to figure out how others can get in the high 8's..........Still tweaking and using all the wonderful direction/informaiton you all are helping with.

Though I have had to reset the CMOS a couple times to get back into BIOS, I believe I may be on the right track. My only issue is that no matter what CPU voltages I set it to for some reason CPU-z only shows 1.45 period. I could have the voltages set at 1.525 and CPU-z still only shows 1.45.

Is this a MB thing? Why would Asus give me this option to increase voltages but only limit it to 1.45 no matter what I decide to up it to?

The 4GB not showing up has to do with XP and not your board. Check this link. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137/en-us
Unless you have a program that can specifically utilize that much RAM then it is a waste and actually bogs down your overclocking. If your rig is primarliy for gaming then I suggest that you use 2 x 1024MB sticks. It is optimum and I know of no game that will use anything approaching 2GB of RAM. BF2 is the worst memory hog I know of and it, with all the background stuff running, uses about 1650MB total at peak on my system.

Why it bogs down your overclock is that the system has to address all that RAM on each read. Also, the A64 CPUs tend to prefer 2 sticks of dual sided RAM to four.

BTW your FSB is at 235 not 800 (2587/11 = 235.2). Get the latest version of CPUz and maybe it will read the voltage more accurately and if you want a really great overclocking program look into Everest Ultimate. It is incredibly powerful and has all kinds of monitors and loggingg capabilities as well as some stress tests (not free though). Also, download Orthos. It runs two instanaces of P95 with a graphical interface, and it is free.

Last edited:
:eek: Well still a noob I am, OMG how did I think I was over 800? Oh well, ty for the correction. So how do I get it over 800?

I will ditch the second set of RAM and put it aside as a backup incase I fry these ;-) and see what happens.

One thing I still seem to be missing is the whole RAM divider thingy. I see that I can do 1:1, 3:4, or whatever, but cannot seem to understand if this is an actual BIOS setting or just a calculation that is set by other settings.

What I have worked out so far (but not tried) is this:
CPU/HTT set at 260
CPU Multiplier set at 10.5x
LDT Multiplier at 4x
RAM Freq Ratio is 150Mhz 3:4 or DDR300

This should theoretically give me:
CPU Clock speed (2835)
HTT Bus (1080)
RAM Speed (203)
Which from everything I have read is within the allowed ranges of the HTT (1,000-1,100) and RAM (200)- also with the hopes that the CPU will handle this.

What I do not know is where do I go to set the RAM portion.

CPU/HTT
BIOS > Advanced > Jumperfree Settings > AIOverclocking (Manual) > CPU FSB Freq (+/-)

CPU Multiplier & Voltage
BIOS > Advanced > Jumperfree Settings > FID/VID Change (Manual)
> Processor Frequency Multiplier (set here)
> Processor Voltage (Set here)

Now where would I go for the other parts? I have read all these links and it still eludes me, maybe I am blind or to excited to get going or something, but I cannot seem to understand where these are located for LTD multipliers, and if the other part (RAM Freq Ratio is 150Mhz 3:4 or DDR300) is an actuial setting somewhere or just derived from the previous settings.

It's a BIOS setting. Make sure you have AI set to manual. DDR info is under advanced settings under CPU at the bottom. You need to click about 3 deep and limited means you are the manual settings.
Where you see DDR frequency, 200MHZ is 1:1, 183MHZ is 10:9, 166MHZ is the 6:5 (use 100%, 90% and 83% of CPU speed for each of those dividers)

Last edited:
Back