• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noobie with RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greasy Burger

I have 80gig seagate ATA100. I'm thinking about adding another hard drive(s) with RAID. I have asus a7v333 w/ RAID.

From what i been reading I need TWO hard drives ATA133 if I want to use RAID 1 (mirror). Are there any ATA133 hard drives under 60gig because I couldn't find any. Also, should I install RAID just like the normal ATA100 hardrive using IDE?

hi there,

first
I need TWO hard drives ATA133
you can you ata 33, 66, 100, or 133 to do the raid.

second
if I want to use RAID 1 (mirror).
why you want RAID 1, RAID 0 gives performance, RAID 1 only gives data security, thats what you want?

third
Are there any ATA133 hard drives under 60gig because I couldn't find any
Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM Hard Drive Model # 6E020L0 (MX6E020L0) OEM, DRIVE ONLY -newegg.com
maxtor website
thats 20g, and yes there are ATA133 on almost all sizes, from 20g to over 200g.

fourth
Also, should I install RAID just like the normal ATA100 hardrive using IDE?
kinda, plug drives, go into setup made raid array, install windows, when pronted press F6 and install drivers if installation of windows XP.

fifth
no, problem:eek:

you can you ata 33, 66, 100, or 133 to do the raid.

My asus a7v333 only support ATA133 RAID
RAID ATA133 - Supporting the most advanced ATA133 hard drives with RAID 0 (striping) or RAID 1 (mirror), the onboard Promise 20276 RAID controller enables enhanced functionality and hard disk performance without the costs of additional add-on cards.

Greasy Burger said:

My asus a7v333 only support ATA133 RAID
RAID ATA133 - Supporting the most advanced ATA133 hard drives with RAID 0 (striping) or RAID 1 (mirror), the onboard Promise 20276 RAID controller enables enhanced functionality and hard disk performance without the costs of additional add-on cards.

ohhh, that was the true question, and yes you can use ata100 drives on that board, raid controllers are just like ide you can put a ata100 drive in an ide 133

the 133 just states the highest tranfer provide by the controller, not the only tranfer provide:D

Back