• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood or Prescott???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my 3.0 northy has treated me well over the years in a asus p4c8oo-e deluxe for kids gaming and back rig.and runs cool my votes for northy and keep it for back up

The socket 478 Prescotts were not good. . you needed a super motherboard to deal with their power needs. Most motherboards of that era were made to handle the Northwood processors. Many motherboards died tried to handle all the juice needed as their regulators just couldnt deliver. IF you must select one or the other, I recommend the Northwood. You will have a better chance of it being stable and not frying that old motherboard. Also if you over clock it you'll get better results. Prescotts when overclocked suck down the juice BIGTIME!! I tend to agree with the person who suggested to toss 30 dollars at it and get something you will be happy with and it wont bust your budget. I'd even consider giving you 30 bucks for the old board as i have an old 2.6 I'd throw in if for a folder or something.

Z

Back