• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nvidia and ati???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
I was wondering if it's possible to run a Nvidia and a ATI in the same computer. Seeing as I couldn't get 1080P to work with a DVI to HDMI cable I thought about using an ATI card for HDMI. Not sure if this helps but my motherboard is a Abit AB9 QuadGT. I was looking at a ATI x1650 Pro Also if this would work does anyone have a link to help me set it up?

i forget, what vid card are you using currently?
i havent seen that particular card before, but i think i might like it...i just have a measly x300 128mb runnin in my HTPC now and have been thinking about upgrading

Right now I'm using a eVga 8800GTS. Looking for a card with HDMI,HDCP just for when I watch TV or movies from my computer. All game done will be off the 8800GTS.

sure you can if they both have the slots you need. If your board has two 16x PCIe slots it should run.

Now i have only run matrox + nvidia at the same time and it worked but it always worked.

Absoultely you can

I ran a 7600GS and a x1300 in my same computer
Reason?
I like watching movies while im gaming :)

Dual 3d desktops rocks ;)

With the 8800 however is another story (I will not assume anything works with 8800 series). but last gen DEFINTELY.

(Then again I could also pull my nVidia card and put in the aTI card, install CCC and pull the ATI card and put in the nVidia card and never had a problem)
Driver Cleaner FTL :)

Oh yah... Just so you know

the 1650 card is NOT HDCP able either AFIAK there is No HDCP available card on the market... (ready yes, but not working) they all need a chip soldered to them to get HDCP working...although the x1600 card you are talking about (i think) is the only HDMI card I know of.. and its low profile too, perfect for HTPC :) Just need to change the bracket :)

Last edited:
Yah they all say that... but its not true :( They all mean that when HDCP is released it only requires a firware chip to be added to the card (at a premium no doubt) for it to be an HDCP card :(

Oh yah as to your orignal post.. I also asked about DX10 card running side by side with dx9 cards last month and no one gave me a definitive answer, I find it hard to believe that so few peopl here run differing video cards in the same system (heck I went SLI just to have dual 8x slots for two SEPERATE video cards :) )

(Hey, im a multi-mon freak, what can i say :) )

Glad to see that nVidia finally came out with an HDMI card though that 1600 has benn out since at least semptember last year, and possibly earlier...probably earlier cuz I had a antec case I sold in summer last year i was looking at making an HTPC out of... but ebayed instead...

EDIT: Oh yah now its the 1650... so.. i suppose that means its a new card as well... althoug hit aint ;)

Back