• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia GeForce 6800 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowhawk109

Hey All!

I've finally got enough money together for a new card, and finally picked one out. However, I've already run into a problem, and I haven't even bought it yet!!! :shrug:

My monitor (19" LCD) is VGA. The card I picked out (link below) only has info on it's DVI capabilities. So, the real question is, does this card work with VGA monitors? I sure as heck aint buyin a new monitor!

I know some cards have weird bracket-thingies (obviously I dont know how they work) that take VGA ports on the card and turn them into DVI-would this card be like that? If not, can I get some kind of adaptor that reverses that process (DVI to VGA)?

It's an XFX Nvidia GeForce 6800 XTreme, built for AGP, which is what my mobo uses. Does anyone have this card? If so, they'd be very very knowledgable about it.

If the card cannot work with VGA, can someone provide me w/ a link to a different Nvidia GeForce 6800 that is both AGP compliant and costs less than $150?

If anyone can help me with any of this, I would be much obliged.

HERES THE LINK:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2201323&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

Thanks!

Minor Edit:
I found a different GeForce 6800 taht MIGHT work...its EVGA. Heres the link to that one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2219520&CatId=880
Would anyone recommend either one? If one or the other, could you give me some reasons why?
I know this one has VGA, but it halves the memory (256MB down to 128) just to save $20...which doesnt seem that great to me...of course, I know nothing about video card hardware...help please?

Last edited:
i like the xfx one better cause of the colors, and it comes with a converter to convert dvi to vga look at this pic u will see it. and i would use www.newegg.com instead of tigerdirect, and how much are you willing to spend on a video card for your pc?

P450-8622-b.JPG

Last edited:
I'm probably gonna go with the XFX...I just want to get the most bang for my buck, and paying $20 more to double the memory seems like a pretty good idea...

That little plastic thing is a DVI/VGA converter? You must have super-eyes or something to be able to tell...

We (my family) always buy our parts from TigerDirect-I'm fortunate enough to be buying this card...the last thing I want to do is get in a fight with my technically-challenged dad about changing seller sites.

I'm willing to spend up to $150-it just has to be able to fit AGP 4x/8x.

I'm getting it so that I can play Unreal 2K4 and Halo on full graphics and everything turned up high, preferably on 1280 x 1024 resolution.

CS:S works pretty well anyways, so I don't really expect any big changes-everything up to high and 1280 x 1024 on the card I have right now...the only thing wrong is anything 10 "feet" (relitive to the game) forward is more blurry than anything closer, like the card cant keep up with scenery changes...I would like to be surprised though...

Thanks again, redrumy3...this seems to be the umpteenth time you've saved my butt by answering one of my crazy questions...

Shadowhawk109 said:
I'm probably gonna go with the XFX...I just want to get the most bang for my buck, and paying $20 more to double the memory seems like a pretty good idea...

That little plastic thing is a DVI/VGA converter? You must have super-eyes or something to be able to tell...

We (my family) always buy our parts from TigerDirect-I'm fortunate enough to be buying this card...the last thing I want to do is get in a fight with my technically-challenged dad about changing seller sites.

I'm willing to spend up to $150-it just has to be able to fit AGP 4x/8x.

I'm getting it so that I can play Unreal 2K4 and Halo on full graphics and everything turned up high, preferably on 1280 x 1024 resolution.

CS:S works pretty well anyways, so I don't really expect any big changes-everything up to high and 1280 x 1024 on the card I have right now...the only thing wrong is anything 10 "feet" (relitive to the game) forward is more blurry than anything closer, like the card cant keep up with scenery changes...I would like to be surprised though...

Thanks again, redrumy3...this seems to be the umpteenth time you've saved my butt by answering one of my crazy questions...
hmm yea that lil plastic thing is the converter, i only said newegg cause i heard alot of ppl have problems with tigerdirect but hey if it works for you thats good :), hmmm 150.00 i would go with the 6800xt xfx since its cheap and good card, im always on lol :)

is the 6800XT the one I'm going after right now?
I wont be getting the thing for a while...probably around 1st week of July, but what an amazing summer it will make!

Shadowhawk109 said:
is the 6800XT the one I'm going after right now?
I wont be getting the thing for a while...probably around 1st week of July, but what an amazing summer it will make!
yea u linked 6800xt, hmm since u said july 1 maybe prices will drop on other agp cards so i would check other cards as well before u buy it in july.

Thats the plan...but all the same it will probably be the 6800XT...

And consider this: what a big step-up from a AGP Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 it will be...this thing I'm running now craps out UT2K4 and forces me to stare at the result...

Shadowhawk109 said:
Thats the plan...but all the same it will probably be the 6800XT...

And consider this: what a big step-up from a AGP Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 it will be...this thing I'm running now craps out UT2K4 and forces me to stare at the result...
will be a nice update on gfx card part deff see a difference in gaming

Yeah! the XFX 6800 XT have more memory 256MB.
I'm waiting for mine from EGG, Ill wait for DX10 to go PCI-E.
!!!

Back