• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia to release 2080 (1180) at GTC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's pure speculation and I doubt they will with the reasons supplied in the article. Imo the €550 I paid for my 1080 was already high enough. People will just move to lower end cards or buy used cards from enthusiasts. The bulk of sales usually comes from the casual gamer not the enthusiast, which if they have to buy at premium prices are more likely to skip a generation of gpu which is a lost customer or move to the competition, hence we need and or a new graphic card manufacturer in the market. Which will happen if prices stack up high enough.

Rumor mill says Intel plans on Real GPU in the next few years. I hope they can break these prices down some!

They don't seem to be making much progress while they're buying AMD graphics cores.

Making a competitive GPU isn't something you do overnight. Even assuming they started work before they announced it, we're going to be looking at possibly years. Them getting Raja feeds into that. Buying in Vega cores is just a gap filler.

Intel has been making iGPUs for several years now, and seem to have thrown in the towel on their previous development path there, and are biting the Red bullet for now. Raja may have been partly responsible for that, too, if Intel were so far down the wrong path it was best to just scrap their current efforts. I agree the current situation is a stop gap effort. I can't envision Intel blissfully settling for an AMD technical bailout on their chips forever. It does make more sense that Raja said something like "Stop that. Your graphics suck. Use these until I can build you a good one". Intel is happily in a position to throw money at a problem until it's fixed, though, so I would expect success at some point, at least as far as iGPUs go.

Going head to head with Team Green and the Red Menace in the discrete GPU market is a lofty goal that has left its share of corporate bodies on the playing field.

Intel aren't without GPU experience. Of course, their current one is not a high performance part, but they can make one at all. I do wonder, if it isn't possible to scale it up more or will things break before it gets really useful?

Speculating on what Raja might be doing is something else... of course he does have experience, I'm not sure when he took the lead of RTG but I guess at the least Polaris and Vega are his babies. Decent in their playing level, but they never challenged team green. Intel likely has a different set of resources available, so the outcome will be interesting. He is still but one man, and I wouldn't try to over-sell him.

All true. Intel's goal may be something as simple as not being completely at the mercy of Red/Green, and not necessarily a head to head competitor. I would think that there are sufficient patents out there to keep Intel from reaching the top level for quite some time, but I'm way down the guesswork rabbit hole now.

it doesnt seem that gpu pricing is going to return to even semi normal ranges. ill skip another gen. not being a hardcore gamer anymore has its advantages haha.

I would upgrade if the prices come down to normal levels, however I don't think they will with all the demand from mining.:(

I was planning on getting a 1070ti but by the time I had the money the $450 price tag skyrocketed.
Thinking about it thought it might be cheaper still to get these new 2080(1180)/2070(1170) hot out of the gate before they establish a known reputation to be good at mining invisible money.

but at the same time I would hope if Ampere were for gaming and Turing for "mining" I would put a mining lock out for Ampere and force their hands to Turing to do their invisible money stuffs. Then that way Turing could be NVidia's money maker because its a specialized part and will constitute a much higher MSRP because of so.

of course that's my thinking, i'll be in my basement with my typewriter and exposed single lit lightbulb if any one needs me...

With the new gen GPU's to be released who knows when I'd like to ask you all for your opinion.

Should I...

1) Try to find a used 1080ti now or wait until next gen is released? Will it make a difference to wait seeing as how all the miners are killing the GPU market anyway

2) Just fork out for the next gen when it's released

3) Stick with my 980ti which somewhat just doesn't cut it for certain games at 1440p and forget this GPU nonsense?

Thanks.

I know what you mean about the 980Ti and 1440p as I went through that myself, but if you don't expect to run Ultra settings you can still push decent framerates. Roughly speaking, a 980Ti is comparable to a 1070, so you're not that far behind leading edge. It will be your personal decision what is "worth it", but given today's pricing, if I were in your situation I'd hang on to next gen, and see if you can get a new card before the miners do. Hopefully many places will limit numbers per sale but it will probably still be a fight.

What’s wrong with a 980ti ? Same as a 1070 in games and trumps it hard in productivity ;)

I was saying 980ti is like high end card, but one curve behnd. Still very potent I'm sure in many situations:)

It was a high end card, but now its performance level is only upper mainstream. Excluding Titans, there are 3 faster nvidia GPUs above it. At 1440p you're balancing visual quality settings vs fps. That's what I did until I got a 1080Ti to replace it, thankfully I made it before the price increases. It is probably too late, but the Ttian Xp Star Wars Editions were competitively priced compared to inflated 1080Ti. They were sold out a long time ago in US. I note they're sold out in UK too now, but it took quite a bit longer.

what are we thinking?
I see a lot of articles saying yes reveal at GTC and no probably not...

truth be told I just got paid and have what I think a 2070(1170) would cost out of the gate set aside and a bit to add to it if I need to.

Back