• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC good! Heat bad! = Less SETI WU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

Well, I'll be felling behind in the seti ranks for a few days! :(

I did the Vmod for the CPU on my asus dually board so they can both run at 1.85, and it worked like a charm! I was able to get a few more ticks on my FSB.

Since I successfully connected one of the L11 bridges, I though I may as well go ahead and try to ulock the multipliers for the second time.

So I take out my XP-1800 from my 8KHA+, and I start unlocking. It actually took me only 15 minutes to do it. I put the CPU back on the board and start testing. It was going good, until my Northbridge chipset fan starts grinding and wears out. I tough oh well, I'll keep the FSB low today and replace the fan. I go for a smoke, come back and my room smells like smoke. The 12cm CPU fan burned out as well!

Time to waste another $150 on another CPU tomorrow :mad:
:mad: :mad:

Are you pretty sure that your motherboard didn't die because the chipset had died?

Weird that two fans died, it maybe because the chipset died and it took some fan headers and anything connecting on the mobo down with it.

Yodums

Positive. I took a CPU out of the Dual, and put it in this one for the time being.

I feel like unlocking another now :)

The 1800 wouldn't ho giher than 1630's, and the 1700 that is in here now is running at 1.775 Vcore and is at 1609. It was doing 1650 but it was getting too hot.

I just want to test SETI with a VERY high FSB to see how much faster it would get.

My room still kinda stinks actually.

I might as well pick up a stick of PC-2700 tomorrow as well.

You have too much cash on your hands.

Be sure to pick up a durable fan, like a good 40mm and 50mm fan for the chipset. Did you hook up you fan using the 3pin to 4pin ?

Seems that the mbo decided to burn to fan header in the process of phasing out.....check out that your fns are not drawing to much power from the fan header.....you might need to put some of your system fans to the PSU directly.

Theonly thing connected to the mobo is the chipset fan. I don't really like connecting bigger fans to the mobo.

It might be hard to find such a small fan to replace the chipset fan :(

AudiMan said:
Theonly thing connected to the mobo is the chipset fan. I don't really like connecting bigger fans to the mobo.

It might be hard to find such a small fan to replace the chipset fan :(

Do you order locally or online? sidewindercomputers.com ships to Canada, and they have 40mm fans, also plenty good fans.

I'm still at work, and am going straight to the computer store. I might just have to order one if they donthave em here.

Would warranty cover this by the way? My chipset fan came with the mobo.

Hey is your deceased hardware used as keychains?

If the chipset fan died, and the motherboard is under waranty, then it should cover everything included with the mobo.

Sweet, I jsut hope that I don't have to send back the WHOLE mobo just for the fans. Those warranty policies are somtimes retarded.

I snapped my XP-1800 in two, and my RAM was replaced at the store since they offer lifetime warranty :)

I took both corners and bent them together with my hand, and it finally snapped. It's pretty flexible and tough though.

It wouldn't make a good keychain because of the pins :p

Well, thats pretty nuts! You could also take the pins off using pliers, or even sold it you know how many people love keychains! :D

PS: Do you drive an AUDI?

Yes, I drive an Audi :)

I just picked up an XP-1700 AGOGA :)

1.466 @ 1.628 1.80 VCore Right out of the box! err, I mean Baggie. I could do a lot more thats forsure, but I'm getting so much HEAT. How much are vapochills?

My old AGKGA XP-1800 barely beat that.

Vapochills are around 500-650 depending on the case, mods you are looking for.. Really nice investment though if you can stand the noise of the a/c compressor..
hehe

Nah. I prefer the rigs to be quiet. Especially the one in my room.

Alpha 8045 maybe? Any suggestions anyone?

Right now I have a Generic 43 CFM 8cm can and HS, which does a better job than my 9cm GobalWin HSF combo.

AudiMan said:
Nah. I prefer the rigs to be quiet. Especially the one in my room.

Alpha 8045 maybe? Any suggestions anyone?

Right now I have a Generic 43 CFM 8cm can and HS, which does a better job than my 9cm GobalWin HSF combo.

you could make you some ducts. I'm using one on my [email protected] it dropped my temp from 45c to 37c @ full load. the only other thing I could think of is to go water cooling.

Back