• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Help Please take a look AMD Phenom ii x4 955

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PFC.Whitehurst

Disabled
0swowmskj

all i got to say is wow lol all that and only a little usage :) makes me smile!
well i posted this cause i just up graded from a AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ Dual Core Processor at 2.3 GHz with i was able to stabaly OC to 2.6 - 2.7 GHz
I upgrade to a AMD Pheom ii X4 955 BE Processor and OMG What A diffence I can Finaly play Bad Company 2 with no lag at the bigginging of the game well and im posting hoping maybe someone could help me out a little im going to hopefully be getting water cooling within the next 3 or 4 weeks and i got the OC set to OC 10% in the bios on this Pheom ii i got it to 3.5 stable at stock voltage ive tried everthing i know in my education on OC'ing to try and get it high i get to maybe 3.6 - 3.7 then it fails lol im running stock cooler for now but like i said hopfully that water cooling will help id like for someone to give me the run down on what todo to over clock this baby the best way and step by step howto if can do. my temps seem a little high great performence as u can see but on idle when i got AC on in the house it idles at 36C - 38C when the AC isnt on but JUST playing Battle field Bad company 2 it jumps up to 50Celcius thats bad if u ask me! lord help lol. idono if thats normal or not but yeah for some uknown STUPID reason i tried LOWERING STOCK Voltage got it down to 34C befor i started seeing lines across my screen I GOT SCARED lmao i shuit it down of course that was done threw overdrive tho i do all my UNSCARY overclocks threw bios that way nothing can mess up but SCARY ones lol are done threw overdrive to test mostly so like i said if someone could please respond to these questions...

1. Overclocking Guide PLEASE :)
2. Is those temps normal?
3. and any more info i can get
and i almost forgot the number one rule too asking for advice include your system setup LMAO

Motherboard: ASUS M4A77D
RAM: Kingston Hyper x Quad Channel DDR2 (4 x 1GIG DDR2) 1066 NOT OVERCLOCKED Yet
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5570 1 GB DDR3 NON-CROSSFIRE
PSU: 1080 WATT
CASE: HEC EL CHEPO lol 3 120mm FANS (TOP FRONT AND REAR, STOCK COOLER FOR CPU FOR NOW and hard drive well it is fornow 250GB WALMART BOUGHT lmao FORNOW and IM RUNNING WINDOWS 7 Ultimate and here are my index scores.

Processor: 7.4
Memory: 7.5
Graphics: 6.7
Gaming Graphics: 6.7
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9
okay well this should be it if i forgot anything let me know please help me out here guys im not entirely new to OC'in i think i got everything down i need to know to get a basic OC Done im shooting for atleast a 3.9 - 4.0 GHz overclock once i get my watercooling system / CPU Heatsink & fan upgrade.
Thanks, Daniel aka Urban Killer :D :attn:

Last edited:
1. We don't recommend overclocking using software. Manually adjusting the bios settins will give you better results.
2. When you talk about temps we need to see what your max temps are after running Prime95 blend for at least 10 minutes. Prime95 (or OCCT) will stress your processor cores at virtually 100% load. More than any regualr app will, even a high end game.

:)

Thanks for such a fast reply there man :) means alot lol i got to get to bed soon in an hour or two for work lol first day tomarrow but yeah anyways i got my cpu up to 3.7 ghz on stock air cooling and a voltage of 1.42 and nb voltage 1.2 i think and i dont know if its stable or not im worried my temps will go above 60C max for this processor is 62C but nobody on earth wants to even attept to get it that high :S but i ran a stabilty test on AMD Overdrive i second ago and at 3.7 at 1.42 volts idle temp is 39C - 42C and 100% load with AMD Overdrive stabilty test it gets to 56C so idk it was surprizing low giving the first time i overclocked this thing to 3.6 it got to 59C lol but idk elier i mest with the HSF and moved it around cause of the problem with my temps being so high like i said elier. but anything else i could try for now until i get my water cooling system or better HSF should i try to go above 3.7 on Stock HSF? with these temps???????

ok i just ran a stabilty test with prime 95 (BLEND TEST) after 2 minutes temps hit 62C max for my CPU So i stoped the test i guess this means i cant do anything else till i get a better cooling system :/ lol

3.7-3.8ghz is probably getting close to the end of overclocking on a Phenom II with a stock heat sink. It's not that they wont go further...oh they will...but the key to clocking a Phenom II is to keep them COLD. If you can drop 10c that's worth 200-300 mhz sometimes.

I would pause where you are, get it stable, and get a new heatsink if you wanna push more.

ok gotcha i figured that and oh yeah i know they can go further ive seen them hit 8 GHz EACH CORE lol on water cooling... lolz

ok i just ran a stabilty test with prime 95 (BLEND TEST) after 2 minutes temps hit 62C max for my CPU So i stoped the test i guess this means i cant do anything else till i get a better cooling system :/ lol

Was that CPU temp or core temps? The critical ones are core temps and they can vary by as much as 10+ degress from CPU temp. Run the Prime95 10 min. test again with HWmonitor open and then post pics of the program interfaces so we can look at temps.

it doesnt give me core temps? just one reading and i use a program called core temp how would i read the HW monitor without rebooting into the bios?

Yep, the core temps are too high. Need to keep them in mid 50s.

Okay, we need more info. Pleas download and install CPU-z and post screen shots of tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". This will give us info about your settings.

Also, please post the screenshots directly in the post, not as an image shack link. That's more convenient for those trying to help you. Go to "Advanced" Then "Manage Attachments" to upload them.

By the way what is your ambient (room) temp? I get the impression from your earlier remarks that it is hot where you are.

Oaky will do ok as far as room temps i try to keep it below 68 Degrees in my room (PC ROOM) currently where i live its 50 degrees outside and i still have ac on lol anyways about the CPUZ Screenshots. here they are.
CPU.jpg

Memory.jpg

SPD.jpg

For the SPD they are all the same I have 4 x 1GB Kingston Hyper x 1066 DDR2 Ram.

Hope this helps with helping me :rofl: but eh well i agree temps are way to high lol i just can wait to get a new cooler i just got a job tomarrow is my first day $90 bucks a day LIFE PAYING FREE (RENT, etc) live with parents for now so for me works great. i should be able to get an upgrade soon i might just go with a good $40 CPU FAN AND HEAT SINK from newegg (THAts where i buy everthing at) lol and insted of water cooling still maybe get a 4.0 Ghz. :) thats all i want is 4.0 Ghz. lol maybe more later on hahah lol jkjk but yeah thanks for all the help guys i appriciate it.

Yep, you need a better cooler.

By the way, we don't need to see your entire desktop, just the particular program interface we are asking about. Use the Snipping Tool in your Windows Accessories. It is a screen capture tool that has a built in cropper.

yeah I gott ya and thanks alot any one recommend any coolers? for this processor for a good over clock within reasonable price under $50? water cooling or ait doesnt matter

Hyper 212+ or the Sunbeam CCT 120mm (if it has the $15 MIR). But you need to check your case width, first. If it's less than 8" you can't use either of those 120mm tower coolers ...

Back