• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Phenom II 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

miloproelo

Hi guys,
I recently started overclocking my old AMD Phenom II 920 CPU. I ended up with 3290 Mhz and I'd like to go for something around 3500. Is it possible? I attach my specifications and pic form BIOS.

AMD Phenom II 920
gigabyte ga-ma790x-ds4
Chieftec GPS-500AB A
Kingston 3x2gb 800 Mhz
Cooler SilentinumPC Fortis2
post-179896-0-30089800-1428578132.jpg

PS. Sorry for my English I'm not native :p

There's a good link in my sig about overclocking the PhenomII. Give it a good read. Then we would like to see pics of HWMonitor free while the PC is under load with P95. Also include pics of CPU-z main, memory and spd tabs please. This will give us some very good info to help you out.
Welcome to OCF Milo

This is what Johan45 is refering to. (Courtesy of RGone)

Note: Editing your signiture is now located under Settings(Top right of screen) and Edit Signature(left bar). Also I believe you'll need 10 posts before the sig will show up on your posts.

screen shot OCF.jpg

I'm not exactly sure where tmp2 is read from bu that's a good indication that something is getting hot. First thing I would do is put a fan on the VRM section beside the CPU since there is no Heatsink on that board.
As for the pics I can't fix that it's not my guide.

Milo looking at your BIOS it looks like you're using your FSB to overclock. I would recommend using just the Multiplier to start with. OCing with the FSB will also OC your Ram, NB and HT Link. It's ok to do that but if you get an error or Blue Screen it's harder to determine what the cause it. Let's verify that this CPU can hit 3500 first.

Most CPUs you can lower the multi just not raise it past stock.

I discovered that this TMPIN2 is the NB temp. At first I thought it was just some kind of a bug but when I touched the NB radiator, it was really hot, comparing to the SB. Is it possible that I might have damaged it while I was replacing the cooler?

Not likely and they do run hot on that board. Like I said if you can get a fan on there blowing some air around it'll help. Other than that if you want to get going a bit faster, I would drop the ram speed by one and also the HT speed by one. Add some V_Core and start raising the bus speed one or two ticks at a time and test it. Your core temps are OK at 44 and good up to about 55c after that it can cause a bit of instability. The cutoff point is 62c.

Ok.. But there is one problem with my BIOS. I can't change the ratio of the HT , I have only an option to set it at some speeds e.g. 800 MHz, 1,4 GHZ, 1,8 Ghz. And my last question, is it safe to rise the V-Core more? I'm now at +0.050 and my voltage is about 1.42, I heard that 1.4 is the maximum.

I would stop at 1.5v for the voltage but I think your cooling will run out before you get that high. Drop the HT to 1.4 for now to keep it out of the equation. Same as the ram. You can adjust these after the max CPU clock is found.

Actually rising the fsb by 5 is causing an instability when CPU is under load so I'm guessing I have to change the V-Core?

Most likely if you have reduced the ram and HT like I said. Just remember that 5 on the FSB is actually 70MHz so it might be a good time to try smaller steps.

I follewed your advice and now I'm at 240 MHz with voltage 1.46 V, HT link 1.4 and NB ratio at 7. Raising the FSB by 1 is cousing instability so I stayed at 240, should I go for more?

EDIT: Temp is about 46 degrees when I'm using standart load test and 52 when using linpack. I'm using OCCT to test it. And I reduced the ram it's 2.66 or something like that

EDIT2: I experienced instability with this configuration, P95 showed an error while testing. It is 800K test, and I think looked into the internet and I found that it's something with RAM, NB or HT. So what should I do?

Last edited:
It is possible...

...possible you have taken that particular cpu as far as "it" will go. All cpus do not clock to the same speed. Below are two very important links about the Phenom ll X4 920 cpu. What, Why and How they tested.

Phenom II Brief Overclocking Guide

Phenom II X4 920 Overclocking Experience

Your instability can be caused by heat, too much ram clock which CPUz Memory Tab will show Memory clock speed but we don't see it. Not enough CPU voltage and or one of the other busses as outlined in those two links above could be clocked too much. There is little we can say when we cannot see the 4 screen captures that we ask be attached when asking about overclocking and more captures as the overclocking process continues.

RGone...

Back