• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC: X6 1075T BE on Gigabyte 970A UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

.symN

Registered
First of all ... I am a total noob to OC.
Normally I would prefer buying a new i7 + Board but since I can't "waste" the money at the moment I wanne get some more power out of it.

System:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1075T
CPU-Fan: Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. A (BW)
GFX: AMD Radeon R9 290X Ref.
MB: Gigabyte 970A UD3
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 6144 MB 1600Mhz CL7
Drive: OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 60GB & WD 1TB Green
Power: Seasonic 100-240vac 430w Power Supply

CPUz @ 20 min Prime:
cpu.jpg memory.jpg ram1.jpg x 3

HWMonitor @ 20 min Prime:
HWMonitor.jpg

Would be great if you guys could help me and explain it for god damn ret**rds :D

This is as simple as I can make it Raise the base clock till you cant start widows then add more voltage . Rinse repeat till you hit your voltage limit or your heat limit .
When I over clock I like to use a different install of windows because I more than once I have kill a os install from pushing to far =)

When I overclock I go reverse I have a goal when I buy a chip . ( for yours It would be 3.8-4.1 would be my goal) I start at my goal and just keep feeding it voltage till it is stable =)

This being a black edition, I wouldn't touch anything other than the multiplier first. I mean, that's the whole point of having a BE.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/596023-Dolk-s-Guide-to-the-Phenom-II This will get you to where you want to go. I have almost the same setup, so you should be looking to hit 3.8 to 4.0 (or higher if you are lucky!).

You've got plenty of headroom here. Open her up and see how far you can clock it.

I certainly wouldn't say the whole point of a BE CPU is to be able to use the multiplier rather than the FSB for overclocking. Actually, using the FSB for part of the overclock generally makes for a better overclock. The unlocked multiplier does give more flexibility, however. For instance, when you have maxed out your RAM, CPU/NB and HT Link frequencies but the cores have more overclock room you can continue to push the overclock. It is certainly true, however, that using only the multiplier is a much simpler method.

I had a 1070T and as far as I know they are not unlocked. Mine was OEM. You have to use the FSB. Pretty sure only the 1075T, 1090T and 1100T were unlocked. I may be wrong. His processor is shown as being 4-17.5 multi so I would venture to say it is locked.

Ok guys ... as I said ... I am a total noob.
I were already reading the Guide of Dolk but don't get anything since he is just dropping shortforms.

Clock Ratio is in auto already at x15, which is the maximum. Can't raise anything more. So please tell me which exactly to raise :D
Tried CPU Frequency to 261 but then the system is not booting anymore. :( I feel god damn stupid in this topic. I am a coder not engineer :D

10805069_988326391184024_566409902_n.jpg
10752076_988326367850693_477612175_n.jpg

I had a 1070T and as far as I know they are not unlocked. Mine was OEM. You have to use the FSB. Pretty sure only the 1075T, 1090T and 1100T were unlocked. I may be wrong. His processor is shown as being 4-17.5 multi so I would venture to say it is locked.

Oh I see that in CPU-z now - I was going off the title.

symN, read that I guide I linked anyways. It's the walk through on how to overclock PIIs. It should tell you exactly what you need to do to overclock, just take your time and follow it to the letter.

5 AMD Thuban 6 core processors...

...sold at retail to average consumer.

AMD Thuban series 6 core cpus. Sold as 6 core processors.
1100T > BE unlocked cpu multiplier.

1090T > BE unlocked cpu multiplier.

1075T > Non-BE Locked multiplier. FSB overclocking only.

1055T > Non-BE Locked multiplier. FSB overclocking only.

1045T > Non-BE Locked multiplier. FSB overclocking only.

To increase cpu speed of AMD non-BE Thuban processor on that motherboard. CPU Host Clock Control when increased will raise cpu speed but will also increase HT Link Frequency; Memory Frequency and CPU_NB since those three buss speeds are linked to the CPU Host Clock Control.
RGone...ster.

Last edited:
Clock Ratio = what we often call the "multiplier".

CPU Host Clock Control = what we often call the "FSB" which stands for Front Side Bus. This is what you must use to increase the CPU speed since it is now apparent that you do not have a black edition CPU. The big thing you need to keep in mind when overclocking with the FSB is that it is the master frequency of the system. As you increase it there are three other dependent frequencies that will also get higher because they are tuned to it. Namely, the memory frequency, the CPU North Bridge frequency, and the HT Link frequency. If these three dependent frequencies get to high they can cause instability so it is necessary to either manually lower them at certain points or increase their voltage or both.

So, you need to take things off of Auto and deal with them manually: CPU Host Clolck Control, Memory Clock, CPU North Bridge Frequency and HT Link Frequency.

1. Start the Memory Frequency at 1333 mhz to give it some room to grow as you increase the Host Clock Control (aka, FSB). Set the CPU North Bridge Frequency multiplier and the HT Link Frequency Multiplier at 9X for the same reason.

2. Put the System Voltage Control to Manual.

3. Give the CPU Voltage Control a .025 bump up from stock to start with.

4. Begin increasing the FSB in 10 mhz increments. So the first increment would bring it to 210 mhz. The second would bring it to 220 mhz, etc.

5. Have HWMonitor (non pro version) open on the desktop and leave it open while you run 20 minute Prime95 "blend" stress tests after each 10 mhz increment increase in the FSB.

6. Watch these parameters in HWMonitor: Max vcore, max CPU temp and max Core temp. We don't want max vcore to exceed about 1.5v. We don't want max CPU temp to exceed about 60-65c and we don't want max core temp to exceed about 55-60c. We know from experience that when these temp thresholds are exceeded that instability will ensue when overclocking heavily. Please note that sometimes HWMonitor won't show a CPU temp per se but that temp will show up as a TMPINx line. On Gigabyte boards it is usually TMPIN2.

7. Follow the process outlined above. Keep increasing the FSB by 10 mhz increments until you fail Prime95 (blue screen, lockup, restart or one of the core workers drops out). When you first fail the stress test, add another .025v to the CPU voltage and start retesting.

8. When you seem to hit a wall, back off on the FSB by 5 mhz and retest. Report back with pics of CPU-z tabs "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" and of HWMonitor that reflect the settings employed and the max temps and voltages found during the last successful Prime 20 min. stress test run. At that point we will give you further advice.

Last edited:
Somone give this man a cookie! Thank you so much trents! Will come back with the results by tmr I guess!

You'll also want to disable Cool N Quiet, C1E and Turbo mode as these technologies conflict with overclocking in the higher ranges. Turbo Mode might be "Core Performance Boost" and the other two might be in a different section of the bios than what you show in your pics. Look under the other tabs.

Last edited:
Reached the heat wall I guess.

Cool N Quiet: Off
C1E: Off
Turbo mode: Off
CPU Voltage Control: +0,025V
FSB: 252
Memory Frequency: 1333mhz
CPU North Bridge Frequency multiplier: x9
HT Link Frequency Multiplier: x9

cpu.jpg memory.jpg ram1.jpg
HWMonitor.png

3.8 to 4.0Ghz is about the normal for probably 85% of those processors. You are right there at those clocks and certainly there or very close to the temps after which you might see instability. Not too shabby really.
RGone...ster.

May want to try tightening up those timings now. They should be able to do at least 8-8-8-24 timings @ 1.65v at the speed you're running now.

May want to try tightening up those timings now. They should be able to do at least 8-8-8-24 timings @ 1.65v at the speed you're running now.

Did I do it correct? Changed DRAM Voltage to 1,65V and set the new timings.

cpu.png memory.png ram1.png

Last edited:
Your effective memory frequency is 1680 mhz, not 1333 as you state. Remember, the memory frequency increases along with the FSB and the other thing to realize is that CPU-z reports the DDR bus speed not the DDR3 frequency. So the actual frequency will be twice what CPU-z reports. You are exceeding the rated XMP frequency for that RAM so you may not be able to tighten the timings any more but it wouldn't hurt to try. Your memory voltage at 1.65 seems appropriate.

My only other suggestion would be to see if you can get away with putting the HT Link and the CPU/NB back to 10x. That will help memory performance as the CPU/NB is the memory controller. You would probably need to bump the CPU/NB voltage up to around 1.25-1.3 to pull that off, however, and that might add to your temps a little.

My step by step directions seem to have gotten you off the overclocking starting block. Now, Dolk's instructions will probably make more sense to you if you go back and read them.

If you get better CPU cooling and put a spot fan either blowing onto the VRM area of the underside of the motherboard in the socket/VRM area you can bring those temps down some which may give you some more overclocking headroom. Your max vcore is only 1.424 and that's still pretty low.

Did you run the Prime95 blend test for a full two hours to confirm the stability of your settings? 20 minutes is good enough to establish tentative stability and it's time efficient with regard to the overclocking process but you should really do a longer test once you get it zeroed in.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 212
What is the make and model of your case? Tell us about your fans: size, placement and direction of air flow through the case. Poor case ventilation can elevate temps. If you want to test the adequacy of your case ventilation, take the side panel off your rig and re-run the Prime95 stress tests and check the temps again. If temps are several degrees lower than your ventilation is inadequate in the case. Here is what it should look like as far as direction of air flow:

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
symN, to answer this:
Did I do it correct? Changed DRAM Voltage to 1,65V and set the new timings.
yes but I think I may have misled you a bit. When I said for you to tighten the timings, I didn't want you to just crank them all down to 8-8-8-24. Memory timings can be fickle, what I would have liked you to do is be patient and drop one at a time and test the system. That said, if it's working at those timings then no harm. Though, you are going to want to stress test it again now to make sure it is stable.

symN, to answer this: yes but I think I may have misled you a bit. When I said for you to tighten the timings, I didn't want you to just crank them all down to 8-8-8-24. Memory timings can be fickle, what I would have liked you to do is be patient and drop one at a time and test the system. That said, if it's working at those timings then no harm. Though, you are going to want to stress test it again now to make sure it is stable.

Atm it is working fine with the settings. Tried 20-30 min Stress-Test followed by 2-3 hrs of gaming. Dropped them all at the same time :)

Your effective memory frequency is 1680 mhz, not 1333 as you state. Remember, the memory frequency increases along with the FSB and the other thing to realize is that CPU-z reports the DDR bus speed not the DDR3 frequency. So the actual frequency will be twice what CPU-z reports. You are exceeding the rated XMP frequency for that RAM so you may not be able to tighten the timings any more but it wouldn't hurt to try. Your memory voltage at 1.65 seems appropriate.

Set it to 1333mhz in the bios. Thought that was meant but you are right. Shall I lower it again or if it is working fine like this keep the settings?

What is the make and model of your case? Tell us about your fans: size, placement and direction of air flow through the case. Poor case ventilation can elevate temps. If you want to test the adequacy of your case ventilation, take the side panel off your rig and re-run the Prime95 stress tests and check the temps again. If temps are several degrees lower than your ventilation is inadequate in the case. Here is what it should look like as far as direction of air flow:

Tested 20-30 min Stress-Test + 2-3 hrs of gaming but will go for the open case test today!

Atm it is working fine with the settings. Tried 20-30 min Stress-Test followed by 2-3 hrs of gaming. Dropped them all at the same time :)

Set it to 1333mhz in the bios. Thought that was meant but you are right. Shall I lower it again or if it is working fine like this keep the settings?

Tested 20-30 min Stress-Test + 2-3 hrs of gaming but will go for the open case test today!

2-3 hours of gaming is not necessarily a very good way to ensure that you have a stable overclock. It may work well like that but eventually it will start giving issues. I tried doing that with my first OC and it worked well for awhile till it finally said screw you and I kept getting random freezes and things of that nature. It sucks but the patients now will pay off. Run prime for 2+ to properly stress test.

It could be good for an hour and 45 min then fail, then you'll need to add just a touch more voltage. and the temps could go up even more after 20-30 min so if you're already close may want to see about backing off just a hair.

Back