• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing FX-6300 Tonight...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With that FSB speed, what is your CPU/NB voltage?

I did the re-seating about an hour ago (and subsequently went on a walk with the Wife/daughter). I'm about to run P95 now. I'll post my results in a bit.

My NB voltage is 1.3 - Seems most people set it to that?

I did the re-seating about an hour ago (and subsequently went on a walk with the Wife/daughter). I'm about to run P95 now. I'll post my results in a bit.

It varies but 1.18-1.33 is fairly standard but the higher it is the hotter they get.

When you get the chance try to remember or write down your existing settings and run Cinebench R15 with it a couple of times to see what score you get with it. Then I would like for you to try something out and see if it works better then what you have now.

So far it looks like the re-seating has dropped my temps by 8 degrees. Yowsah. The package is now cooler than the socket, too.

FWIW, switched the LLC on (ultra high), and I couldn't get through 5 minutes of P95 without crashing. I switched it back to Auto, and I'm cruising again.

So far it looks like the re-seating has dropped my temps by 8 degrees. Yowsah. The package is now cooler than the socket, too.

FWIW, switched the LLC on (ultra high), and I couldn't get through 5 minutes of P95 without crashing. I switched it back to Auto, and I'm cruising again.

What was the voltage doing when you switched it?

I have absolutely no idea what the voltage was doing. I did notice that the CPU fan kept alternating between 0 RPM and the normal RPM. Sorry...I don't know enough about this stuff to give you strong feedback.

Here's where I sit now. I can probably drop my Vcore slightly to see if I can drop a few degrees. I'm done for the night though. What did you want me to try?

Attachments

• hwmonitor.PNG
    hwmonitor.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 42
  • cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 42
Okay since I have been at least two laps around the neighborhood with FX processor and know from those that use the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 what we should be expecting let me say this. You have a heat issue.

This >> Noctua NH-D14 w/ Arctic Silver 5 air cooler at only 1.38Vcore should not be giving the temps on your cpu that are being exhibited. These are the "now" temps as recorded by HWMonitor at the time of the capture. 63c on cpu_socket temp and 59c on the core_package temp.

It does not matter that you say you have five fans in the case; maybe they are all doing the wrong thing in regards direction of flow or they are all cheaper fans with no real CFM air flow.

I see people saying and even advising to lower Vcore because of temp problem. Well why do that when the 4.35Ghz is peanuts for that cpu and is certainly going to take more than 1.38Vcore to run on around 4.7/8 Ghz where that cpu needs to run to really have some muscle? I start most of my overclocks at the MOST Vcore I am willing to run and then I know from the outset if I am going to have too much heat and every increase in speed up to whatever max speed I can reach is n0t hindered by too low Vcore. Heck I started clocking from my Max VCore I would use. Just bypasses all those BSODs and failures to boot because of too low Vcore for selected cpu speed. So when my overclock quits, knowing I am at Max Vcore I will use...well I know then I am at the limit of my cpu instead of crawling up some speed increase > fail > add voltage > fail or not fail and so on and on. But that is neither here nor there really, you have a cooling problem. What it is, there is no way to tell without further description of your current case cooling and most likely it will take pics and model numbers of the case fans and their direction of air flow.
RGone...

Excellent feedback. Thank you.

When I opened my case up a few hours ago, I counted four fans. Three of them came with the case, and are Corsair fans. There are two in front, one in the rear toward the top, and one in the "ceiling"of the case. The two in the front are obvious blowing into the case. The one in the rear is blowing out, as is the one on top.

Should they be blowing in a different direction? Is it at all possible to mount the Noctua D14 backwards?

Taking pics is possible, but I've pulled my attention away from my family for hours upon hours for this rig, so I'm going to take a few days off from OC'ing. If you guys are willing to help without pics, great. I appreciate any and all help here.

Large%20(5%20of%208).jpg

This is my case (not a picture I took, mind you). Envision two fans on the bottom right (stock), one fan on the top left (stock), and one fan mounted in the ceiling (one of these).

*edit* after watching a few videos, I came to a realization. My Noctua fans are pointed in the wrong direction. I watched a half dozen videos, and in 2 of those videos, the people installed the fans backwards...pushing air back toward the front of the case, rather than out the back. UUUUGH.

Last edited:
Large%20(5%20of%208).jpg

*edit* after watching a few videos, I came to a realization. .pushing air back toward the front of the case, rather than out the back. UUUUGH.

Correcting that might help a good bit. Only making the change will tell for sure.

Plus with all that steel in the way of that lower fran in the front...you reallly need to step that fan up in "pushing" cooler air into the case.
RGone...

Good call Rgone, Case air flow was going to be my next thing to address too. I didn't anticipate the reversed fans on the HS though :facepalm: But I'm glad you have it corrected now. Speaking on HS Fans, are you using the low noise adapter that came with the Noctua? If so pull that off. All that does is reduce the RPM's of the fans.

According to your description of the case fans I'd say you have them all flowing in the right direction(aside from the HSF which I'm sure you've already corrected). In your case remove any unused HDD cages you have. That's alot of steel between your fans and actual computer.

Cable management should also be address here as well. The Carbide series is very good for this with it's "behind the mobo" cable management. Ensure all your cables are tucked back there nice and neat so there is no cables interfering with the flow of cool air. A good way to test case airflow is to record your temps with the case sides on for 10 mins under full load, then test with the sides off for ten minutes. If you have good air flow the temps should be almost the same. If the temps are much higher with the sides on, you do not have adequate case air flow.

Ambient temps would be another potential problem. What are the temps in the room your rig is sitting in? Is it winter where you are or summer? Do you have any heat vents blowing at your intakes. (I've actually seen this one. they get the :facepalm: too.) LOL

. I might grab a Q-tip and clean everything off, and then re-seat using a smaller amount of the Noctua paste (which got rave reviews).

. Q tips and rubbing alcohol. Edit: it doesn't hurt to contact them and request one. ...

I wouldn't use Q-tips for this. Coffe filters work a lot better. They're strong, slightly abrasive and won't leave little fuzzy hairs all over everything they tough.

If your NB speed is between 2000 and 2400 you shouldn't need any more that 1.2v

Hopefully turning your cooler will help a bit and make sure both fans on the cooler are blowing in the same direction. I have a 6350 on and M5A pro with a Hyper 212 and it runs cooler than that at 4.6

I have a 6350 on and M5A pro with a Hyper 212 and it runs cooler than that at 4.6

Hehehe. Terrible of me, but when I saw you write that I just pictured a 6 inch dryer vent from from your freezer to the push fan on your cpu cooler. Oh how awfully crass of me. :rofl::rofl:
Bobert...sterstignatorzzzzzzzzzz

Hehehe. Terrible of me, but when I saw you write that I just pictured a 6 inch dryer vent from from your freezer to the push fan on your cpu cooler. Oh how awfully crass of me. :rofl::rofl:
Bobert...sterstignatorzzzzzzzzzz

Mama wouldn't let me pipe it through the livingroom or I just might. What I'd really like to do now is hhok the TT AIO up to this setup to see what people might be able to expect from it. I don't recall what V_Core this one took for 5.0 but it might be possible or even close with the mini water. The problem I'm facing is another box swap and I just haven't felt like that or had the few hours it would take.

Mama wouldn't let me pipe it through the livingroom or I just might. What I'd really like to do now is hhok the TT AIO up to this setup to see what people might be able to expect from it. I don't recall what V_Core this one took for 5.0 but it might be possible or even close with the mini water. The problem I'm facing is another box swap and I just haven't felt like that or had the few hours it would take.

I hear you about the time and "moma's approval" thing. I often think about doing some of the things that we do and wonder why in the world we would think we can do so with seeming impuntiy?

There are so so many variables in what we do that most never even consider. Most of us begin the build with a power supply that is good and not full of ripple on the rails That is first and most of the time it is overlooked. Then often after trial and error we begin to buy a motherboard with good voltage regulation and filtering on the board. Then we hedge our bets with as good a custom water-loop as we can plumb into the the system. Then like maybe a NASCAR racer in his 200MPH garbage can with internal bracing, we put the pedal to the metal, never thinking we might windup on our roof. I used the NASCAR analogy because I just watched them doing the Daytona Speed Week things. Jumping out of perfrectly good airplanes. Taking a 225 pound dirt bike and seeing how far it will fly thru the air over a jump. Any of these things that are not so-called safe like maybe bowling. Hehehe.

You have to get to that place with overclocking, that you sort of believe you are bullet-proof and faster than a speeding bullet and able to leap tall buildings with a single bound. Then you really are ready to overclock. :screwy:

Pursuing what should be seen as a hobby with ups and downs is what overclocking should be viewed as. It is not a right but rather often a hard-won privilege. No it is not seen that way by the many today, but it still is no matter the general mind-set.

Shut up RGone...bye now. :bang head:bump:

... Any of these things that are not so-called safe like maybe bowling. Hehehe...

As a bowler I feel the need to inform you of the dangers of said recreation.
1. Over Drinking, by far the most dangerous. Especially if your dumb and don't have a pre-arranged ride home.

2. Three weeks ago a frustrated bowler next to me threw his 16lb ball and the ground and it hit me in the ankle after the third bounce. Nearly got into a fist fight over that. Turns out he was also a victim. (See #1)

3. If you've ever bowled and slid to far and your foot just glances onto the oiled lane...BOOM you're on your backside. I know a woman with permanent spinal damage from this.

4. Have you ever seen the movie "Kingpin"? Those ball returns can take your hand clean off! LOL

OK I'm done thread jacking for the day. Enjoy.

Are you sure that it's still plugged in power /HDMI and seated properly in the slot?? You can always loosen it a bit and then re-seat it.

I reversed the HS fans...and...now I have no video out. FML

Ya, completely unrelated. You may have bumped something.

EDIT: Oh wait. Please tell me you had the power off and the power cord removed from the power supply before unclipping the HSF's.

Back up and running. Running P95 now...I'll post results later.

Thanks for the help :)

Back