• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Final Fantasy XI Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Melhisedek said:
Hi mates, I have one Q...

This should be my 2:nd MMORPG, thing is that I absolutely hated 1:st being SW:G
I'm SW fan and I still hated it... Nothing to do... How is this one ? Mind that I'm from Europe and will have to import the game and that costs!

like square-enix sais, fighting is not everything in this world. You can fish, then sell you fish, make money, weave clothes, forge weapons, and so many things that you can imagine! But ill have to say, fighting gets you far in the game, and once you join a group, it gets really fun:D

So go over to www.playonline.com/ff11us and check outn some stuff :)

well, this is the guy im going to use :)

1011.jpg

this guys pimpsorz :D

ConquereR said:
By farming xp i mean...going afk in spawn of weaker monsters that give decent xp and let your char kill the stuff by itself.

Hows PvP? Thats really all im lookin for now days....

1) if you leave your char in the wrong place, he/she will die. As they dont automatically fight back, unless you tell them to, so no, there is no farming XP.

2) i heard (on good authority) that there will be PvP battles, but im pretty sure only if both partys aknowlege it, but still, you kill the guy, you gets LOTS of XP!!!!! (not to mention stealing some good stuff of him) lol

basically, you just play, meet someone, and add them to your playonline friends list (POL being the service that manages and runs FFXI's servers), and then you get a linkshell to that clan, or guild, and pretty much your all set. That is, unless all your guild members are in a server other than you, but thats where the world pass comes in.

Ok, I still don't get it. I guess what I'm trying to ask is ARE there guilds or player organizations, and if so, how are they set up? Are there leaders? Are there wars (or will there be when PvP is implemented)?

Also, is there any conflict? Like say one region against another region like in DAoC?

And are the graphics REALLY that good? I mean, do they look like the way they do in the screens? Cuz that'd rock.

Well, here it is in the 28th. Just found this thread now though - been going to the other FFXI sites trying to see if anybody has this game today. A few people do, however, it seems like tomorrow is the day the stores are going to get it. At any rate, Southeast Wisconsiners' are going to be playing Wednesday.

--Busted

yeah, i was just up in racine and couldnt find it :(
until tommorow.....although i dont really think ill have time to play until christmas break :(

doesnt look to have much in ways of character customization (how they look)?

|\/|oDdiC(_)$ said:

2) i heard (on good authority) that there will be PvP battles, but im pretty sure only if both partys aknowlege it,

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:

|\/|oDdiC(_)$ said:
You can fish, then sell you fish, make money, weave clothes, forge weapons, and so many things that you can imagine!

Thats in any MMO, dont get me wrong though. Im not trying tot put the game down...i just dont like these new mmo's that arent what im lookin for.

ok, the face will never change because of what you are wearing, the closest to that would be to wear a helemet.:p but you closthes will definetly change.:) DRK AF armor PWNS!!! here I am:
3105.jpg

me so sexy!!:D wait, i'm a guy!! Don't give me that look!! I'm not a hentai!!! ^_^ lmao I just like cats. ^_^ Just shows i'm a big softie.:rolleyes: aint helpin' my masculinity.:( Oh well.

Amino said:
Ok, I still don't get it. I guess what I'm trying to ask is ARE there guilds or player organizations, and if so, how are they set up? Are there leaders? Are there wars (or will there be when PvP is implemented)?

Also, is there any conflict? Like say one region against another region like in DAoC?

And are the graphics REALLY that good? I mean, do they look like the way they do in the screens? Cuz that'd rock.

1) Guilds are set up like other clans. There are a leader or two, sub leaders, and just normals people. Also, guilds try to balance out the jobs so that their guild can overcome anything, like, say for instance there were 2 guilds. One guild consisted of all warriors (have good HP, and GOOD STR, but almost no defence), so theyll get to a point, and die. And then there is a guild fiilled with White Mages. Of course theyre attack does no dmg almsot, so they die off to. If you mix them together, they willl be unstoppable.

My point is, guilds try to mix it up, so that they have everything at their fingertips, and can milk whatever resources they can.

They usually have (if a guild of 10, persay), 2 white mages, 2 black mages, 1 thief, and the rest heavy hitters like warriors, monks, etc.

(note, i just used jobs that are accessable from lvl 1 in my demonstration, but the same goes for higher lvl jobs like dragoon, samurai, etc.)

2) Yes there wil be fights, but not "wars" once again, clans will go after other clans, because you get alot of EXP per person. The other thing is, that if you dont want to fight, you dont have to, it takes 2 to accept a challenge, and 2 to fight. So in short, no, there will not be any wars, just matches :)

3) I dont think there will be any "conflict", in BETA, everyone was always (except the odd gay hole) friendly, and helpful, the PvP is jsut there fore more added fun, when fighting comp monsters gets boring for you :D

4) The screenies do no justice for this game. I mean, if your hardware can handle the game, then its once of the most beautiful games ive ever seen to date. (not jsut the character models, but the sceneries are spectacular, expecially the weather changes, and climates :)

hope this helped you out :D;)

Old&Busted said:
Well, here it is in the 28th. Just found this thread now though - been going to the other FFXI sites trying to see if anybody has this game today. A few people do, however, it seems like tomorrow is the day the stores are going to get it. At any rate, Southeast Wisconsiners' are going to be playing Wednesday.

--Busted

bah, after sotrming out of EB world, it sunk in that i gotta wait till thurs to play it :p those rat *******s!!!!!! oh well, 2 more days, ill manage...somehow :)

(ud think i had alittle relief from beta...................thats jsut the bait, now im hooked :eek: :rolleyes: :D , must play FFXI....to.....LIVE@~!~!!

Ryan0rZ said:
128 different combinations. The looks will probably also change depending on what you're wearing.

everything from a neck collar, to shoes, or sword, changes as soon as you equip something different, you jsut start out with
the jumper, which in my oppinion, is ugly as hell, but when i left beta as a lvl 42 Monk, i had the pimpest white robe, and accesories known to man! not to mention my claws for attacking unsuspecting orcs! :p

ConquereR said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:

Thats in any MMO, dont get me wrong though. Im not trying tot put the game down...i just dont like these new mmo's that arent what im lookin for.

i understand what your saying, im just clueless to what you want in an MMORPG :);)

after all, this game isnt for everyone, i didnt like the beta until i actually got into it (and started partying with groups), and before i knew it, i loved it. All im saying is, give it a try:rolleyes:

Kibogaoka said:
ok, the face will never change because of what you are wearing, the closest to that would be to wear a helemet.:p but you closthes will definetly change.:) DRK AF armor PWNS!!! here I am:
3105.jpg

me so sexy!!:D wait, i'm a guy!! Don't give me that look!! I'm not a hentai!!! ^_^ lmao I just like cats. ^_^ Just shows i'm a big softie.:rolleyes: aint helpin' my masculinity.:( Oh well.

those painkillers are made to be taken twice a day, not twice an hour lol. yeah, mithras are sexy, but the grrrrrrls in my school are sexier

Too bad there are no MMORPG vets that have played it.

I'd also like to see how it compares to EQ and its many clones.

I refuse to jump on another treadmill;)

|\/|oDdiC(_)$ said:

i understand what your saying, im just clueless to what you want in an MMORPG :);)

after all, this game isnt for everyone, i didnt like the beta until i actually got into it (and started partying with groups), and before i knew it, i loved it. All im saying is, give it a try:rolleyes:

Im lookin for a game exactly like UO use to be. :p I know, i know, yall have heard enough about UO from me. :p What i want is PvP first, then PvM if i get bored. I also want a perilous world that you can be attacked in at anytime. Computer controlled things dont offer any challenge, as long as you have the CHARACTER skill to beat them, not the skill coming from YOU.

If you don't like to lvl, I advise staying away from this game. You need to lvl up 2 classes, because one of them ends up being your subjob - however, you only have to lvl it up to half of your main job's current lvl. EXP all depends on what party you are in and the skill of the players. There are bonuses to XP if you kill monsters in a chain. Unlike EQ, I don't think there are any levels that require 5 hours a night for 3 weeks straight to get through.
On another note, this game doesn't compete with EQ. It's on a whole different level of it's own. If you like the final fantasy universe then it's just that much better. The missions and quests go far beyond anything the EQ engine was capable of. Try to find some movies of the storyline. (in game footage)

-=-Adam

Back