• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Final Fantasy XI Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
|\/|oDdiC(_)$ said:

yeah, mithras are sexy, but the grrrrrrls in my school are sexier

I go to the University of Texas and we we're ranked by Playboy to have the hottest girls in america, 4 years straight, so pooh on you! LOL jk.

ConquereR said:

Im lookin for a game exactly like UO use to be. :p I know, i know, yall have heard enough about UO from me. :p What i want is PvP first, then PvM if i get bored. I also want a perilous world that you can be attacked in at anytime. Computer controlled things dont offer any challenge, as long as you have the CHARACTER skill to beat them, not the skill coming from YOU.

I agree. UO had it right. PvP should be the core of any MMO. Any other online game, be it a shooter, RTS or what have you, has players working cooperatively AND facing each other antagonistically. Yeah you get greif players but I think it makes the world more realistic. They're just the crazy murderers of the world.

Don't get me wrong. Fighting monsters is pretty cool too. Nothing says "yeah, I rock" like taking out a huge dragon. But I remember there was one time when I used to play UO, where some red came after me. I was like "holy hell!" and instinctively started running for my life. I'm just used to being killed by reds. But then I realized, hey, I've been working hard at my skills and I'm almost maxed out in all good ones! So I turned around andfought him and took him out!

That was probably the most exhilirating time I'd ever had in an MMO. My first PvP kill. Ever since then, I became a red hunter and was soon known as one of the best warriors on the shard. And that's another thing. You can't make a name for yourself by killing monsters, unless you're the highest level guy on the server, and the only reason you'd make that name is cuz you don't do anthing else but play the game. With PvP in there, you can be known as one of the greatest defenders of the people, or you can be one of the most dangerous people in the server (or the biggest jerk as some would call you:D).

My point is, PvP adds an element that simply can not be achieved by any other means. Consentual PvP sucks too, because then, it's so unrealistic. People aren't like, "Hey, I want your wallet. Can we fight for it?" The attacker just attacks!

In regular RPG's, on paper, it's FUN AS HECK to fight monsters, but that's because the GM is the person controlling them, not some scripted AI.

Last edited:
Amino said:

I go to the University of Texas and we we're ranked by Playboy to have the hottest girls in america, 4 years straight, so pooh on you! LOL jk.

I agree. UO had it right. PvP should be the core of any MMO. Any other online game, be it a shooter, RTS or what have you, has players working cooperatively AND facing each other antagonistically. Yeah you get greif players but I think it makes the world more realistic. They're just the crazy murderers of the world.

Don't get me wrong. Fighting monsters is pretty cool too. Nothing says "yeah, I rock" like taking out a huge dragon. But I remember there was one time when I used to play UO, where some red came after me. I was like "holy hell!" and instinctively started running for my life. I'm just used to being killed by reds. But then I realized, hey, I've been working hard at my skills and I'm almost maxed out in all good ones! So I turned around andfought him and took him out!

That was probably the most exhilirating time I'd ever had in an MMO. My first PvP kill. Ever since then, I became a red hunter and was soon known as one of the best warriors on the shard. And that's another thing. You can't make a name for yourself by killing monsters, unless you're the highest level guy on the server, and the only reason you'd make that name is cuz you don't do anthing else but play the game. With PvP in there, you can be known as one of the greatest defenders of the people, or you can be one of the most dangerous people in the server (or the biggest jerk as some would call you:D).

My point is, PvP adds an element that simply can not be achieved by any other means. Consentual PvP sucks too, because then, it's so unrealistic. People aren't like, "Hey, I want your wallet. Can we fight for it?" The attacker just attacks!

In regular RPG's, on paper, it's FUN AS HECK to fight monsters, but that's because the GM is the person controlling them, not some scripted AI.

Hot damn! Am i lookin in the mirror? :D

Sounds like you want what i want in a MMO. Let me know how you like this one.

What shard did you play on?

And yes, i have had some of the most exciting times in my life PvP'ing in UO. :(

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!!!

Oh my God, I just played about 5 minutes of this game and already decided that it is going back to the store. OH MY GOD what a horrible game.

I started setting things up at 1:30 pm. It's now 3:50 and I've barely had my first 5 minutes into the game. There is 1 CD that contains the setup for the "PlayOnline Viewer" which is a separate program that launches FFXI. Then, there are 4 CDs for content, but that's not it! Oh no... After taking about 10 minutes to install off the CDs, you have to wait another 45 minutes, to an hour and a half (if you're on cable that is) to download the EXTRA content.

After downloading everything, you can finally register You didn't think they'd let you play without a little more work did you? Ooooh no. You double click on the PlayOnline icon and a small window pops up. You watch a somewhat interesting video with some cool music. But then you realize... "wow, this music is pretty annoying." But you ignore it with the thought that you're going to be in the awesome new world any second. Little do you know that the registration process is going to take you another 20 minutes of filling out crap that us Americans have NO need for whatsoever.

PlayOnline is basically AOL with some better looking games attached to it. And that's why it takes so long. They auto-assign you an email address and a user name that is ridiculously long and non-sensical. Mine was something like [email protected]. So you write it down, which makes the process even longer. But then later on in the registration process (and they don't tell you this before you write down your long-as-hell email address), you find out that you can change the email address to something mroe useful.

So by now, you're like "what the hell is the freaking deal? I just want to play, damn it!" All the while, the annoying music is still banging away. I just turned the volume on my speakers to 0 because I couldn't take it anymore.

Yada yada yada... you get into the game. FINALLY... You make yourself a character, with almost no options for customizability I might add... There's about 8 faces to choose from, and 2 hair styles. That's pretty much it. You also ge to pick how tall you are. I guess that makes you a little different.... ???.... anyways, you name your character and then think, "SWEET! I'm finally in! Thank God!" But no.... no no no.... PlayOnline STILL messes with you.

You ahve to create a "handle" to attach your character to. I have no clue as to what purpose this serves. Luckily it take only a few seconds, but still, seconds that I could have spent playing the game.

Then you choose what kingdom you want to be from. I click on one and at loooooooooooooooooooooong last, the game world appears. SO YOU'D LIKE TO THINK!!!!

You now have the pleasure of watching some stupid Final Fantasy opening text that tell you some stupid crap that you REEEEALLY don't care about. I turned around to watch TV until I heard he music change. I whirled around back to my computer to see a chatbox. "PLEASE LET ME PLAY!!!" I shout in my head. Nope. Still no playing. You have to watch some scene with a couple people talkig and you can't just skip through it. You have to wait until they're done moving in order for them to say anything, and only then can you click passed their speech.

So I wait another 10 minutes and finally... yes FINALLY... I get to play. And now I find out that the controls were probably designed by the President of Square Enix's "special" child. You'd think they'd use the WASD or Arrow keys to move your character. No no no... They can't do that, otherwise it'd be a smart thing they did! Insetad, they set the NumPad keys for movement, and not the way you'd think either. If you were to guess, you'd say they'd set 8 for forward, 4 left, 6 right and 5 back. But oooooh no. That's not the way they do things in Japan. They set 5 to toggle First Person/Third Person View and have 2 set for back. Not 5, but 2!!!! That's not exactly as ergonomic as any human being would like. Insetad of running backward, you'll be switching views in emergency situations.

In addition, the graphics DO NOT look like the screenshots, they look like cartoons. There is no substance to any of the color whatsoever. Everything looks flat and dull. I set the settings for max all, and wow does this game look like crap or what? CHRIST!!!

The annoying music is STILL playing, and getting you even more ****ed off while you're trying to figure out how to move around efficiently. Finally, you decide "God damn it, I guess the only way to move is with the NumPad." SO then you start clicking on stuff and find out that you can also move by holding down the Left Mouse button and moving the mouse from side to side and front to back. Why'd they pick that as secondary movement? Who knows... they're from Japan.

So you try to talk to people... but you get no answer. Why? No. It's not because people are unsocial jerks. It's because they're still trying to figure out how to move! I finally got someone to talk to me and the only thing he said was, "This is not worth 50 bucks."

And addition to that 50 bucks, you have to pay the monthly fee... and in addition that THAT, if you want more than one char, it's an extra buck per char. I guess the Japanese think they can make money off us like they did off our little tykes with Pokemon.

Well I say SCREW THAT. This game is going back right now and I am going to go get Top Spin for Xbox. Good old Red-White-And-Blue American video game entertainment.

Last edited:
ok, lol, I think you are proving my point that I have yet to express, this game is NOT for everyone and I think you are on of those exceptions. lmao. Aint changin my outlook, I have dedication, I would wait for hours to play. :D I don't care about the graphx much as long as they look like the benchie. :)

Dude, did you play the BETA? Cuz if not, you're in for a surprise. I'm not some die-hard action game fan that likes PVP-Only games. I played DAoC and I think I only PvP'd about 2 times, and I STILL loved it.

I'm open to A TON of diferent types of games. But this one is just too much to handle. Ok, I'll forgive them for the ridiculously unfitting music. I'll even forgive them for the ubsurdly enormouse patch, despite 4 content CDs and a 5th one for the game's launcher. The game still lacks graphics, and with today's technology, games better look damn good for $50. Especially if you're going to ahve to pay a monthly fee to play it!!! And the controls? Seriously, who the hell came up with this garbage? That person should be given a restraining order from all game development buildings.

Kibo, I'm telling you. You might like the game at first... but not because it's a great game. Far from it. No. You will like it because you WANT to like it. You're going to force yourself to like it. You're going to tell youself "damn this game is awesome. Among other bothersome things, I can't move right, it looks like hell and the music sounds like it belongs on an acid jazz CD but what the hell? It's Final Fantasy!!! And it's online!!!"

But in the end, you're going to realize just as I did, and just as the numerous people that are calling the support phoneline (making it a busy number now) did... The game sucks and there is nothing you can do about it now because you've kept it for too long and can't return it. There goes your $50 and a number of hours, 3 to 5 of which weren't even spent playing it, but rather, we spent setting the damn 6 gig beast up.

I just bought this game today, and I already had my friend complaining about the controls, and the game crashing on him. I'm patching as I type this....I hope I'm not dissappointed, I've been looking forward to this for a very long time.

im saddended to hear this news. its fine that your telling us how you feel about the game, but dont go around throwing **** out like DONT BUY THIS GAME. This game is 100% excellent (im my oppinion) and most people should like it. So tell us what you thought was wrong and dont bulll***** this thread anymore.

P.S.- i do respect your decision, but you dont have to be a b!tch about it...:mad:

P.P.S- i was a beta tester, and with the 3 months ive played it, NOT ONCE has it crashed, not updated properly, or screwed up in any way. im saying this just so other people dont think its "buggy".

*note* if you dont like the controls, but the PS2 to USB adapter for 10$, and use a PS2 controller for it, thats what im doing, and its a GODSEND :)

heres one ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3054346406&category=21193

I don't know what it is but people talking about buying a playstaion usb adapter makes me uneasy. Maybe it is because I don't own a playstation. I hope the controls aren't that bad.

Amino said:

tell me what would hhappen if a lvl 99 warrior attacked a lvl 5 white mage?:rolleyes: :( :eek:

poop_loser said:
I don't know what it is but people talking about buying a playstaion usb adapter makes me uneasy. Maybe it is because I don't own a playstation. I hope the controls aren't that bad.

well, if you want, its a good deal, adn a good product, and 6.00$? thats petty change;)

ok, it only took 1hr and 15 minutes to get the patch. lol I like the music. When POL was doin' sumthing, I turned it up. I actually like Acid Jazz. I expected it. lol. I will give my final verdict tomorrow. and hey, don't go sayin' "Don't buy this game!!" That's just not cool. It would be fine if you said "I don't like it." but don't buy it is too far.

i can honestly tell you, that when my USB was acting up during beta (and i use all ther ports), i tried they mouse and keyboard.........well sir, it wasnt even 10 min before i logged out, just 30 steps from where i first logged in, so yes, the keyboard controls suck, but thats why the PS2 to USB adapter was invented!!! :)

Kibogaoka said:
ok, it only took 1hr and 15 minutes to get the patch. lol I like the music. When POL was doin' sumthing, I turned it up. I actually like Acid Jazz. I expected it. lol. I will give my final verdict tomorrow. and hey, don't go sayin' "Don't buy this game!!" That's just not cool. It would be fine if you said "I don't like it." but don't buy it is too far.

indubidubly, everything in that post is how i also feel about those things. Music is cool, excepy the sandoria tune is sort of funkay:)
And i really like the tune "dolphin" for the POL launcher. all in all, great 50$ spent.

should get my copy tommorow hopefully

::esau jumps around giddy as a school girl on her first day of school::

:D

you can form parties and then unform them correct?

esau said:
should get my copy tommorow hopefully

::esau jumps around giddy as a school girl on her first day of school::

:D

you can form parties and then unform them correct?

yes, imm also picking up my copy tomorrow! :D im also giddy, but this time like a tit-mouse after happy hour at the kareoki bar lol

Yes, you can make Parties (which consist of up to 6 people) or 2 parties make an alliance (12 people), and then "disband" or break up the party (thats is if you are leader) if you want.

i heard it was 3 pary alliance of 18 people

and lets say you are not the leader, can you leave your party at anytime, if say it turns out you all dont get along.

esau said:
i heard it was 3 pary alliance of 18 people

and lets say you are not the leader, can you leave your party at anytime, if say it turns out you all dont get along.

alliance is any group over 6 people, and yes, you can leave at anytime, even in the middle of a fight, you can disband, and let them fight lol, it hepppend when i had a leader who thought he was invincible, they went after a blood tear (really hard for a lvl 20,) and i disbanded right befoer they attacked it, it owned them all, while i kept running lol ^_^:eek:

Amino said:

Oh my God, I just played about 5 minutes of this game and already decided that it is going back to the store. OH MY GOD what a horrible game.

I started setting things up at 1:30 pm. It's now 3:50 and I've barely had my first 5 minutes into the game. There is 1 CD that contains the setup for the "PlayOnline Viewer" which is a separate program that launches FFXI. Then, there are 4 CDs for content, but that's not it! Oh no... After taking about 10 minutes to install off the CDs, you have to wait another 45 minutes, to an hour and a half (if you're on cable that is) to download the EXTRA content.

After downloading everything, you can finally register You didn't think they'd let you play without a little more work did you? Ooooh no. You double click on the PlayOnline icon and a small window pops up. You watch a somewhat interesting video with some cool music. But then you realize... "wow, this music is pretty annoying." But you ignore it with the thought that you're going to be in the awesome new world any second. Little do you know that the registration process is going to take you another 20 minutes of filling out crap that us Americans have NO need for whatsoever.

PlayOnline is basically AOL with some better looking games attached to it. And that's why it takes so long. They auto-assign you an email address and a user name that is ridiculously long and non-sensical. Mine was something like [email protected]. So you write it down, which makes the process even longer. But then later on in the registration process (and they don't tell you this before you write down your long-as-hell email address), you find out that you can change the email address to something mroe useful.

So by now, you're like "what the hell is the freaking deal? I just want to play, damn it!" All the while, the annoying music is still banging away. I just turned the volume on my speakers to 0 because I couldn't take it anymore.

Yada yada yada... you get into the game. FINALLY... You make yourself a character, with almost no options for customizability I might add... There's about 8 faces to choose from, and 2 hair styles. That's pretty much it. You also ge to pick how tall you are. I guess that makes you a little different.... ???.... anyways, you name your character and then think, "SWEET! I'm finally in! Thank God!" But no.... no no no.... PlayOnline STILL messes with you.

You ahve to create a "handle" to attach your character to. I have no clue as to what purpose this serves. Luckily it take only a few seconds, but still, seconds that I could have spent playing the game.

Then you choose what kingdom you want to be from. I click on one and at loooooooooooooooooooooong last, the game world appears. SO YOU'D LIKE TO THINK!!!!

You now have the pleasure of watching some stupid Final Fantasy opening text that tell you some stupid crap that you REEEEALLY don't care about. I turned around to watch TV until I heard he music change. I whirled around back to my computer to see a chatbox. "PLEASE LET ME PLAY!!!" I shout in my head. Nope. Still no playing. You have to watch some scene with a couple people talkig and you can't just skip through it. You have to wait until they're done moving in order for them to say anything, and only then can you click passed their speech.

So I wait another 10 minutes and finally... yes FINALLY... I get to play. And now I find out that the controls were probably designed by the President of Square Enix's "special" child. You'd think they'd use the WASD or Arrow keys to move your character. No no no... They can't do that, otherwise it'd be a smart thing they did! Insetad, they set the NumPad keys for movement, and not the way you'd think either. If you were to guess, you'd say they'd set 8 for forward, 4 left, 6 right and 5 back. But oooooh no. That's not the way they do things in Japan. They set 5 to toggle First Person/Third Person View and have 2 set for back. Not 5, but 2!!!! That's not exactly as ergonomic as any human being would like. Insetad of running backward, you'll be switching views in emergency situations.

In addition, the graphics DO NOT look like the screenshots, they look like cartoons. There is no substance to any of the color whatsoever. Everything looks flat and dull. I set the settings for max all, and wow does this game look like crap or what? CHRIST!!!

The annoying music is STILL playing, and getting you even more ****ed off while you're trying to figure out how to move around efficiently. Finally, you decide "God damn it, I guess the only way to move is with the NumPad." SO then you start clicking on stuff and find out that you can also move by holding down the Left Mouse button and moving the mouse from side to side and front to back. Why'd they pick that as secondary movement? Who knows... they're from Japan.

So you try to talk to people... but you get no answer. Why? No. It's not because people are unsocial jerks. It's because they're still trying to figure out how to move! I finally got someone to talk to me and the only thing he said was, "This is not worth 50 bucks."

And addition to that 50 bucks, you have to pay the monthly fee... and in addition that THAT, if you want more than one char, it's an extra buck per char. I guess the Japanese think they can make money off us like they did off our little tykes with Pokemon.

Well I say SCREW THAT. This game is going back right now and I am going to go get Top Spin for Xbox. Good old Red-White-And-Blue American video game entertainment.

Thanks, i wont be spending $50 for this game.

Back