• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok trying to cool this barton is getting frustrating...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

Alright I have very good airflow in my case, with 4 case fans and a cyclone blower setup very nicely. My heatsink is a Thermalright SK-7. My case never goes over 30c, and socket never goes above 35c. But its become a real pain in the a trying to get the CPU Diode temp to come down. At first I was getting 48-50c idle, and near 60c for load temps. Then swapped my Panaflo low speed fan, for this nice Thermaltake smartfan that I run at 4800rpm's! I even reseated the heatsink and reapplied my Antec Reference Silver Thermal compound. Temps went down to 43-45c idle and 50-55c load. So I was happy for a few days. But now its back to the hot side. Now idle temps are 47-48c and load temps are 54-58c! My room is pretty chilly, as i'm in the basement, so what could be causing such high temps?! I'm thinking either my old SK-7 is crap, or the thermal paste im using is crap...anything would help thanks!

But could the difference in antec's silver compound and artic silver 5 be that big? Like is the only reason my temps arnt like everyone else's soley on the type of thermal paste I used? But I would be willing to throw down $10 bucks on AS5 if it will bring my temps down 4-5c. 47-49c idle, 53-58c load for CPU Diode is way to high for the cooling setup that I have and my ambient temp.

I haven't heard much about the SK-7, or seen many reviews, it may be outdated. Might be time to look at the thermalright line-up again. I wouldn't make a special order for AS5, but if you can get it local, or with a heatsink order, it may be worth a try.

With a case temp of 30, whats ur ambient (30 for case seems high to me). Does your BIOS supply the right voltage? (eg. higher then you set it to - check mbm)

Case temp is 25-28c idle, and harddrive is 26c. I'm not really sure about ambient, but its nice and cool in the basement, no higher than 70f. BIOS does seem to supply the right voltage, i set my vcore to 1.675, and it does give it a little more juice than that, like 1.68-1.69v, but thats not high at all.

+3.3 = 3.28v, +5 = 4.91v, +12 = 11.96v Antec Truepower 430W PSU.

Edit: I'm using Speedfan and MBM5 to detect temps on my A7N8X v1.06. But my BIOS gives me different temps, 43-45c for CPU and 30-32c for Motherboard. Which do I trust?

Weird, looks like something is malfunctioning. Check the temps with a different CPU / on a different mobo to see what the problem is. Could be the diode got a beat somehow.

On my brothers computer, I have an XP1800 with a Volcano 7 and the same Antec Silver thermal paste. His temps are considerably lower, like 38-45c. Oya, check out what i added to my other post above yours.

Ok maybe I should just trust the bios. Are there any other temp monitors besides Speedfan and MBM5 that I can use?

are you running the latest versio of your board's bios? i dont' have an ASUS, but that may be an issue

i can at least verify that your sk-7 shouldn't be the cause of your troubles... mine is still serving me well (bought back when it was one of the latest things in the market ^^)

just for the fun of it, remove your side... if your PC is in a cool basement, and you have lots of fans, and case temp is reported as 30c... then i would seriously doubt my cooling setup..

Back