• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On the virge of converting to intel....need opinions please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hysteria

Registered
You can see in my signature what I am currently running. I have been curious about the P4s since the northwoods were released. Now I am looking at the Abit SD7-533 using the memory I already have and a 1.8gig P4 nw. I have many questions as I am a newbie to this whole intel game.

Will I see a gain in performance over my current setup with an watercooled, overclocked 1.8?

Is it worth the extra 60-70$ for the 1.8 versus the 1.6?

Is the abit sd7-533 a good overclocking board? Does it have vdimm and vcore adjustments? Can it run asynchronous memory timings (ie 133cpu/166mem)?

What other things do I need to be aware of or concerned with if and when I convert :)?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you guys could give me as I am totally clueless when it comes to intel systems....thanks

a watercooled 1.8 has a good chance of hittin 2.8-3GHZ so i would say yes you would probably ee a difference....i

Can you guys tell me which board that supports ddr333 has the most vdimm and vcore options. I was digging into the sd7-533 and it doesn't appear to have the greatest options. Am I wrong about this and if not what board does have good options?

If you are not in a hurry you might wait until the new sis 645dx boaud from Asus comes out (P4s533) or if you can not wait look at the current Asus p4s333, from what I read you can flash it with the p4s533 bios and get 4/6 dividers but it doesnt hve the new dx chip set. I have read good reviews though. I am personely thinking of the p4s533 w/1.8a when they are available. Soon! I hope.
Good luck, no matter I think you will be happy

OR.....,,,,

you could just with for the AMD T-BREDS to come out,

AMD FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!

even though i'm all for intel, i do have to say it was nice to see an amd fan jump in and defend his love for those chips good job :D

..now for the topic at hand, the Asus P4S333 is great board and i would have no problem rcommending it, also i haven't really heard much abou6t the bios flash from the P4S533 to get those lovely dividers but if its stable then hey... sounds like a even better choice... either way you definitly will have lots of fun w/ the system.. good luck :D

How high a voltage can you select on the asus? I have read about quite a few people having good success with flashing to the 533 bios and this looks like the route I am going to go. Does it stop at 1.7 + .2 or can it go all the way to 1.85 +.2. If the later this would cinch it for me. Thanks for the responses so far. I am a big amd fan and have always loved the chip but I am also a very curious individual and when someone I know showed interest in buying my 1800+ I decided to go intel :).

I had the P4TE with bios version 1005, and my voltage options stopped at 1.75, and actual voltage with that setting was more like 1.63-5 so it's kind of like the Abit in that respect.

Welp, I just ordered the p4s333 and a 1.8A from newegg.com. I also ordered a new waterblock for my koolance that supports the p4 and supposedly cools beter too. I have one more question. I am currently running @ 1.91 volts on my xp1800+ and the load/idle delta is around 4 degrees. I have an idle temp of 40C and full load of 44C (this board idles for crap). If I push the absolute maximum vcore the asus can push what kind of temps will I see? I am actually quite excited about owning my first intel. Can;t wait to see how it stacks up.....

I would have gotten a ABIT board with the soft menu III so you could run your PCI/AGP in spec no matter the FSB. I know you can run 100~250MHZ fsb with the TH7-II and the PCI/AGP speeds will always remain at 33/66MHz. Not sure if the ABIT DDR board works the same way but I see no reason it would not.

TripleH said:
OR.....,,,,

you could just with for the AMD T-BREDS to come out,

AMD FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but this just isn't the place for this BS. Why did you feel it absolutely necessary to come in here and come in on a person who is obviously trying to build an Intel system and thread crap? What point did it serve? None. This person has made up his mind he wants to build an Intel system and you barging in on his thread isn't gonna change his mind, period. I like the competition between the two companies but when you fanboys just come in here and thread crap, it annoys me to no end....

Cut the amd poster some slack...my god I have a faster chip sitting in a box on my desk then he has in his working system. So give him pity, not anger ;).

My P4B266 with the 1006 test001 bios goes to 2.1v and easily can do over 133hz fsb and it is an intel chipset, so compatability is no problems.

Jim

Back